• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audioclassics

AudioClassics is the store that's responsible for me getting bitten by the HiFi bug; I've stop in every now and then and bought several items over the years, some Mac, some non. Either way, they are about the best guys you'll ever deal with, and they stand behind what they sell.
 
I've been dealing with Audio Classics for about 15 years, a friend recommended them back when they were located in the basement of the post office in Walton, NY. I've been doing business with Ernie since the mid '70's..
I recommend both with the highest regards. They have the "customer for life" concept down to a science. :thmbsp:
 
Audio Classics is a good choice. One word of advice tho; pay attention to their used gear ratings. I would stay away from anything below the B rating. With all the glowing reports here I let my expectations get too high the first time I purchased there.
 
wow, first let me say that all of us here at Audio Classics appreciate all of the kind comments. We do believe in "relationship selling" which is not a common thing in business anymore. Plus... when you love what you do... well it does get contagious!

Our grading system is unique but we try to make it as up front as we can make it. However, if anyone is unhappy, no matter how minute, we want to know. Bad news travels much faster than good! Here is the grading system from our website.


Physical:
A As new - Mint Condition
B Some light wear - Excellent Condition
C Some scratches or nicks, light oxidation, more wear - Good Condition
D Some dents or oxidation, heavy wear - Fair Condition
F Oxidation, dents, dirt - Poor condition
S Special Item Call for Details

Electrical:
1 Meets or exceeds original specs, all functions operate
2 Meets original specs, noisy worn controls
3 Meets original specs, some functions broken NO WARRANTY
4 Does not meet spec, all functions operate AS IS
5 Does not meet spec, some functions broken AS IS
6 Plugged in lights up, may work. AS IS
7 Not checked, may work AS IS
8 Plugged in does not come on AS IS
? Not graded AS IS

Other Standard Notations:
NEW: New in a box
NIB: New In Box
NOS: New Old Stock - older item still in stock, never sold
DEMO: New display model with full warranty
FR: Factory Reconditioned
SFO: Stereo Factory Outlet
BS: "B" Stock: Factory reconditioned, some cosmetic flaws, acoustically and or electronically perfect
XS: "X" Stock: Factory reconditioned, major cosmetic flaws, acoustically and or electronically perfect
UNK: Unknown
 
I've purchased an MC275 IV, c22 and c2200 - and had an MC240, MC30 (pair), Fisher 500c and two MX110s restored by Audio Classics.

I've found the grading to be very accurate on all the units I've purchased - and the work done is flawless. I speak/email mostly with Ryan, but have talked with other people in the store - treatment is uniformly excellent.

This is a case where you get outstanding value for what you pay. FWIW, I've found that it's FAR less expensive to buy the older equipment directly from them rather than finding it on ebay and sending it to them for restoration.

The BIG plus is that I feel like a valued customer every time I contact them. I feel like I get good advice - and never any 'tude.
 
Last edited:
I would agree with 0luke1. Ryan was very informative and helpful. He steered me into a C41 and WOW I could not believe the sound, and couldn't be happier with the transaction. Its really nice to have audio advisors as well as salesmen to deal with.
 
If you live within a few hours' drive, it is worth it to go and hang out with Ryan and listen to the item you are considering. Of course, that is good advice no matter who the seller, but it is especially enjoyable when the store is chock full of upgraded and wrapped McIntosh gear just waiting to find a home. Disneyworld for music lovers.
 
Thanks

Yesterday I purchased from Ryan a used MCD 201 for my system in my den. I will be replacing a Rotel player I am using as a transport with a Theta D-A converter. I am looking forward to receiving it and enjoying yet another McIntosh piece!:music:
 
wow, first let me say that all of us here at Audio Classics appreciate all of the kind comments. We do believe in "relationship selling" which is not a common thing in business anymore. Plus... when you love what you do... well it does get contagious!

Our grading system is unique but we try to make it as up front as we can make it. However, if anyone is unhappy, no matter how minute, we want to know. Bad news travels much faster than good! Here is the grading system from our website.


Physical:
A As new - Mint Condition
B Some light wear - Excellent Condition
C Some scratches or nicks, light oxidation, more wear - Good Condition
D Some dents or oxidation, heavy wear - Fair Condition
F Oxidation, dents, dirt - Poor condition
S Special Item Call for Details

Electrical:
1 Meets or exceeds original specs, all functions operate
2 Meets original specs, noisy worn controls
3 Meets original specs, some functions broken NO WARRANTY
4 Does not meet spec, all functions operate AS IS
5 Does not meet spec, some functions broken AS IS
6 Plugged in lights up, may work. AS IS
7 Not checked, may work AS IS
8 Plugged in does not come on AS IS
? Not graded AS IS

Other Standard Notations:
NEW: New in a box
NIB: New In Box
NOS: New Old Stock - older item still in stock, never sold
DEMO: New display model with full warranty
FR: Factory Reconditioned
SFO: Stereo Factory Outlet
BS: "B" Stock: Factory reconditioned, some cosmetic flaws, acoustically and or electronically perfect
XS: "X" Stock: Factory reconditioned, major cosmetic flaws, acoustically and or electronically perfect
UNK: Unknown

can you elaborate a little on the Special item grade?
 
Special is usually a unit that is very unique. For example, we had a few of David Obriens personal units. An original MC275, C11, C22, MR65b that were all original and in perfect condition. They were special. So they are that kind of thing.
 
Buy with confidence! I purchased my C1000/T from AC. A few issues came up and Gordon worked with me until I was happy with my purchase. I would not hesitate to purchase ANYTHING from this fine group of people.

Gordon
 
Yesterday I purchased from Ryan a used MCD 201 for my system in my den. I will be replacing a Rotel player I am using as a transport with a Theta D-A converter. I am looking forward to receiving it and enjoying yet another McIntosh piece!:music:
You may find you quit using the Theta. The DAC in the MCD201 is extremely good.
 
AC is an honest and competent company and will do what they say they will.

You will however pay a premium for what they sell and they tend to want to pay low on the buy. You won't get out of a piece what they sell for. If you are a gear flipper be advised. This is not a hobby to them but a serious business, and that works both ways.

They also have a "special relationship" with The Laboratory. They are the unofficial official repair depot for older McIntosh gear and have access to a lot of parts. Flipside is that like Organ Service with Hammond they agree not to do certain things that would step on Binghamton's toes. So don't expect them to have a run of new parts made independent of McIntosh or engineer any fixes or aftermarket improvement type mods.

So long as you are clear on the business part they can be beneficial to deal with, but the DIYer / technically oriented hobbyist will will want to use them as the last source rather than the first. If you need a power transformer wound, for example, you can probably get any random wind house to wind you ONE at prototype price for half of what they will charge or less. Same with a rotary switch, I got 25 of a two gang switch made (from the OEM) for what they wanted for one and it was used at that.
 
The MCD201 and the C220 I purchased from Ryan were indistinguishable from new despite being rated B1.
Earlier experience with repairs was also flawless, though also pricey.
AG prices are much lower than AC, but with a slight risk.
All in all, I also highly recommend them.
 
Quality and a great business all around. No bargin basement prices, but neither is the service. In my business I am not the low cost leader either, but sell on quality and service. Good folks at AC.
 
I am finishing my main system with the addition of a Mac preamp and will be purchasing it from AC...looking forward to dealing with audio professionals :music:, will update when up and running...
 
Back
Top Bottom