• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bass Response

Well since the OP started this thread to ask questions about getting realistic bass<<snip>>

I agree Chris, but as it was resurrected from a zombie-thread with just a contradiction, it's little more than a 2.0 vs 2.1 and discussion thread now, I don't believe the OP is following anymore.
 
Nice Kenwoods.

Raising the speakers off the floor may result in some penalty to LF response. An MQ102 might be a good idea here.

The reason they're only raised 9", still relatively close to the front wall, not toed in, and this model has the woofer very close to the bottom of the cabinet.

These were chosen to replace a set of Heresys with twin 12" subs for esthetic reasons, plenty of tight tuneful bass with all tone controls set to flat and no loudness contour needed.

Not to worry, the subs are now in the media rm and I still have another set of Heresys.
 
The reason they're only raised 9", still relatively close to the front wall, not toed in, and this model has the woofer very close to the bottom of the cabinet.

The way the MQ manuals are written, it suggests that anything other than the speakers placed on the floor in corners will result is less than flat response to 20 Hz. Not being in corners plus elevated would drop LF response by several dB compared to being in corners, on the floor.

MQ101 is pricey but the basic MQ102, at around $100, is very small for the improvement it's likely to bring.

My 2 cents.
 
The way the MQ manuals are written, it suggests that anything other than the speakers placed on the floor in corners will result is less than flat response to 20 Hz. Not being in corners plus elevated would drop LF response by several dB compared to being in corners, on the floor.

MQ101 is pricey but the basic MQ102, at around $100, is very small for the improvement it's likely to bring.

My 2 cents.

These are bookshelf speakers, and were never meant to reach 20hz, they're fine just as they are no matter what you've read lol. As for corner loading, ya not gonna happen, that's ridiculous, any "manual" that recommends that for these speakers needs a trip to the circular filing cabinet.
 
These are bookshelf speakers, and were never meant to reach 20hz, they're fine just as they are no matter what you've read lol. As for corner loading, ya not gonna happen, that's ridiculous, any "manual" that recommends that for these speakers needs a trip to the circular filing cabinet.

I think you're misunderstanding. The whole purpose of the MQ is to allow the system to achieve the same LF response as though the speakers were placed in corners in a variety of positions without the need for the speakers to actually be placed in corners.
 
I think you're misunderstanding. The whole purpose of the MQ is to allow the system to achieve the same response as though the speakers were placed in corners in a variety of positions without the need for the speakers to actually be placed in corners.

No desire to add more electronics in the signal path, go ahead and EQ away to your hearts content I'm not going to be a convert, been there done that and got rid of those yrs ago. My music never sounded better.

Actually gave away my dbx, not interested.
 
Last edited:
Go ahead and EQ away to your hearts content, I'm not going to be a convert, been there done that.

Convert to what? We're talking a simple device with separate L/R 20 HZ controls, each with 5 different curves. Do you think the man who designed your speakers doesn't know what he's talking about? This is discussed in depth on his web page.

upload_2020-3-29_15-18-10.jpeg
 
Convert to what? We're talking a simple device with separate L/R 20 HZ controls, each with 5 different curves. Do you think the man who designed your speakers doesn't know what he's talking about? This is discussed in depth on his web page.

View attachment 1810561

I just read the site, again I'm not interested eh?

If you want to add devices to your setup because you feel it's somehow lacking that's your choice, my system sounds exactly the way I want it.

And do you think the "hype" might be to "sell" the item? I've never read the white paper from a manufacturer that didn't claim their stuff was the best thing since sliced bread.
 
Last edited:
If you want to add devices to your setup because you feel it's somehow lacking that's your choice, my system sounds exactly the way I want it.

Well since you've never tried it, you're not exactly in the position to say whether there would be an improvement or not- would you?

At no time was a slur being cast upon your setup and I even complimented your Kenwood electronics. Your militaristic & defensive attitude in response nothing more than suggestion intended to be genuinely constructive and helpful - is uncalled for. :thumbsdown: Sorry I even bothered.
 
Well since you've never tried it, you're not exactly in the position to say whether there would be an improvement or not- would you?

At no time was a slur being cast upon your setup and I even complimented your Kenwood electronics. Your militaristic & defensive attitude in response nothing more than suggestion intended to be genuinely constructive and helpful - is uncalled for. :thumbsdown: Sorry I even bothered.

If you've been on here any length of time it's no secret I have no love for any kind of outboard EQ's, been there done that as I've stated several times and have no interest going backwards.

First, these are not McIntosh speakers, second, even the article you referenced stated the version implemented by AR achieved less than satisfactory results eh? Added to this mine are an 80's model that may or may not utilize the same bass driver as the 10pi so may actually be damaged using the device.

Why is it so important to you I use this eh?
 
Not McIntosh speakers - different story. They look just like Mc speakers and we're in the McIntosh forum. :rolleyes:
 
This is kind of circling back around though, you can EQ or compensate pretty much any speaker to produce flat sound lower than the spec (except maybe some of the Klipsch folded horns where the horn isn't long enough). The problem is that you will quite possibly be asking the woofer for more excursion than it is designed to produce, which would make it impossible for the speaker to be flat at any SPLs above a whisper.

The second concern will be power required. I know that my XRT 20s were designed with the excursion and power handling to be able to be EQd flat to 20 at reasonably high SPLs, ... but the amount of power necessary to produce 20hz at 90dBA is massive, and I'm not interested in setting up a system where I can only use a 500wpc setup.

No offense to anyone (and we're running a 4645B JBL with a 3000w Crown and DSP for a sub so we do know how effortless bass sounds) but the man likes how it sounds, ... you can't do better than that.
 
This is kind of circling back around though, you can EQ or compensate pretty much any speaker to produce flat sound lower than the spec (except maybe some of the Klipsch folded horns where the horn isn't long enough). The problem is that you will quite possibly be asking the woofer for more excursion than it is designed to produce, which would make it impossible for the speaker to be flat at any SPLs above a whisper.

The second concern will be power required. I know that my XRT 20s were designed with the excursion and power handling to be able to be EQd flat to 20 at reasonably high SPLs, ... but the amount of power necessary to produce 20hz at 90dBA is massive, and I'm not interested in setting up a system where I can only use a 500wpc setup.

No offense to anyone (and we're running a 4645B JBL with a 3000w Crown and DSP for a sub so we do know how effortless bass sounds) but the man likes how it sounds, ... you can't do better than that.

I have several subs in the media rm, one capable of 18hz @ -3db so I'm very familiar with effortless bass. The living rm system HAD twin 12" subs with a pair of Heresys so 25hz capability. I wanted to remove the subs so decided to go a different route than the Klipsch speakers.

Back in 1978 I purchased a pair of AR 12's, really liked those and wish I never got rid of them. They had nice bass, not Cerwin Vega like but enough for my needs.

This led to the purchase of the above AR 58's pair, they perform exactly as I had hoped, and the furniture grade cabinets are a plus to the decor. And with the Belles amp driving them pure magic.
 
Cerwin-Vega? Now we need to get back to the quality vs quantity discussion again, ... one-note-bass speakers are not of my liking.

I do have one pair however, ... they are mounted above my bench as my test speakers. Some day I'll have the pleasure of letting the smoke out of them.
 
Cerwin-Vega? Now we need to get back to the quality vs quantity discussion again, ... one-note-bass speakers are not of my liking.

That's why I purchased the AR's instead, even back then as a youngster I knew the difference lol.

The store where I purchased them carried both lines, "World of Sound" no longer in business, the AR's were $500, the CV's I compared $400. I wish I had liked the less expensive pair, the extra $100 was a lot of money to that kid back then lol.
 
If you haven't heard the Tribe Towers maybe you should reserve judgement and stop it right there. Your preconceived notions about smaller woofers may be in jeopardy. Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Have you heard Mahler Symphony 2 performed by a world-class orchestra in a world-class symphony hall (i.e., no sound reinforcement system)? Saint-Saens Symphony 3 (Organ Symphony)? Do you regularly attend live performances of large-scale orchestral music?

If you routinely listen to large-scale orchestral music performed live in a world-class symphony hall, and you have a speaker with two 4” drivers that can play a modern hi-res recording of such compositions (i.e., a modern recording with uncompressed dynamics, such as a recording captured and delivered at 24bit/192kHz) - at live concert sound levels – with no compromise in frequency range, and no compromise in dynamic range – i.e., creating the illusion of being in the symphony hall – then I’d like to hear that speaker system with the two 4” drivers.

OTOH, if you listen to music with little dynamic range – and/or recordings with limited dynamic range (e.g., LPs) – that’s a different story.

P.S. Your following comment is IMO unprofessional, and represents IMO an unacceptable ad hominem attack: “Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.“
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom