• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best way to wire one preamp to two power amps?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
Just use a Y cable??

Or would it be better to get a second identical preamp and use the tape out from one preamp to get signal to the second preamp? One amp per preamp and no Y cable.
 
Register to hide this ad
y cable will work if you dont mind sharing input power to power amps . might be they will be happy and you will be happy . these things can be worked out by knowing the equipment involved and expectations at the speakers .
 
Just use a Y cable??

Or would it be better to get a second identical preamp and use the tape out from one preamp to get signal to the second preamp? One amp per preamp and no Y cable.
A "Y" splitter will work fine for sending the output of a preamp to two power amps?.

Where did this second preamp come from?
 
Just use a Y cable??

Or would it be better to get a second identical preamp and use the tape out from one preamp to get signal to the second preamp? One amp per preamp and no Y cable.

I don't like this; technically this introduces some distortion from the tape out buffer stage. But using the Y-splitter consider the total load on the preamp
 
Just get a preamp with two sets of preouts...

Heck my NAD 106's (own two of 'em) have 3 sets of preouts,1 pr. balanced XLR & 2 pr. of unbalanced RCA,and all can be used simutaneously.

FWIW

Bret P.
 
A "Y" splitter will work fine for sending the output of a preamp to two power amps?.

Where did this second preamp come from?
I don't have the other preamp yet

Trying to decide if getting a second preamp is a better route than the Y splitter.
 
I don't like this; technically this introduces some distortion from the tape out buffer stage. But using the Y-splitter consider the total load on the preamp
The amps in question.....hafler dh220. They have an input impedance of 47000ohms. The preamp in question......hk725. Not sure what their output impedance is, but it would have to be pretty high for it to be a problem with the input impedance of the dh220..........right?
 
It will be fine.

Just bear in mind however, both amps must be turned on. If one is turned off, you can get distortion from the unbiased front end asymmetrically distorting the waveform.
On another similar note....

Would it likewise be fine in your opinion to use the OUT of an active crossover to feed signal to the IN of two power amps via a Y splitter cable?

Same basic thing, right?
 
What if the 2 amps are not identical. In my case both amps have similar output but I'm not sure about the input voltage? One amp has no input controls, the other does. I leave the input controls on the one that has them at 9/10. No problems so far. Fingers crossed. If someone here thinks this is a bad idea please let me know and tell my why. Cheers.
 
What if the 2 amps are not identical. In my case both amps have similar output but I'm not sure about the input voltage? One amp has no input controls, the other does. I leave the input controls on the one that has them at 9/10. No problems so far. Fingers crossed. If someone here thinks this is a bad idea please let me know and tell my why. Cheers.

Not an issue.

Y-splitter is perfectly fine for the OP's situation; I would also scrap the idea for another preamplifier.

FWIW - I've never heard any difference in sonic quality regardless whether either amplifier is switched on or off when using Y connectors.
 
I have NAD 1130 preamp with Y-splitter running to NAD 2200 Amp and NAD 2400 Amp. No issues. Also never heard any difference in sonic quality regardless whether either amplifier is switched on or off.
 
I have NAD 1130 preamp with Y-splitter running to NAD 2200 Amp and NAD 2400 Amp. No issues. Also never heard any difference in sonic quality regardless whether either amplifier is switched on or off.
Greetings,I have a 1240 nad pre amp and 2150 & 7150 nad.just got the 7150 and would like to try to use it to drive one channel and the power amp for the other channel.The 1240 has 2 pre outs.How would I do this?Please be specific about the connections as I am somewhat hi-fi dumb.Also have a Velodyne sub with line in and line out connections which are currently hooked to the power amp via speaker wire with speaker wire then out to two speakers.Thank you
 
My Carver pre is powering a Belles with one output and an 800watt pro amp with the other, absolutely no issues whether one or both are powered up, and no need for the amps to be identical.
 
Some preamps have 2 sets of outputs (like my AVA preamps) and they are "Y'd" internally. I run 2 different amps from one preamp in this fashion with zero problem. However, it might be nice if one of the amps has a volume control level to balance the outputs, but I'm not sure I know what you are doing....If you are bi-amping then yes.
 
Back
Top Bottom