• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bosch

It's OK. I like the character; he has integrity, some humor about himself and a drive for justice. The actor is pretty good.

Howevef I'm not real keen on these shows that take an entire season (or what passes for season nowadays) to play out a story--by the time it's done there's more time put into it than there was in The Ten Commandments or Lawrence of Arabia. I like the Law and Order pace on TV.
 
He has a tube amp and a turntable, vintage receiver and some distinctive looking speakers in the series. I'm guessing Mac amp, late 70's receiver, I will take a wild guess at the speakers, ESS or Heil or ? Someone with more knowledge than me will have to provide the definitive answer. You see a lot of his setup in episodes 9,10.
 
It's OK. I like the character; he has integrity, some humor about himself and a drive for justice. The actor is pretty good.

Howevef I'm not real keen on these shows that take an entire season (or what passes for season nowadays) to play out a story--by the time it's done there's more time put into it than there was in The Ten Commandments or Lawrence of Arabia. I like the Law and Order pace on TV.

Actually, I like the season long shows. Granted there are at times a lull in the action but generally I like the slow build up of the story line. Now as I get older and begin to run short of time that opinion may, by necessity, change.

cubdog
 
That was a good 10 episode series (watched the pilot again). I like that Amazon/Netflix put all episodes online in one go, as it made for a good binge watch whilst Winter settled in again.

Thought the pacing was about right, especially as they were covering 2 cases.

Wonder if they'll do another series?

Got a few of the books on the tablet to read to tide me over now.
 
Last edited:
Finished season 1,Harry sure has a lot on his plate,his childhood,daughter,ex,current girlfriend all the political scheming & treachery around him not to mention the people who want to hang him out to dry and now suspension.Surprised he's not eaten his gun.
 
Finished season 1,Harry sure has a lot on his plate,his childhood,daughter,ex,current girlfriend all the political scheming & treachery around him not to mention the people who want to hang him out to dry and now suspension.Surprised he's not eaten his gun.

That's a spoiler DB; bad movie-TV discussion etiquette unless a spoiler warning is given.
 
I am truly sorry it this has spoiled any part of the series for those watching..I absentmindedly assumed the season was over and done....Sorry Guys...
 
I don't know. If the main character of the series suck starts his Glock, I want to know about it, before I invest too much time into it.


This space intentionally left blank.
 
I am truly sorry it this has spoiled any part of the series for those watching..I absentmindedly assumed the season was over and done....Sorry Guys...

You were pretty general. I don't think you spoiled anything.

I have to say Welliver is growing on me as Bosch. I think he's done a good job of capturing Harry's personality. I had a different picture of him based on the books: A little guy. Shorter, thinner, and wiry. Plain looking - not handsome, not homely. Not dressed as well - short sleeve shirts, cheap ties, that kind of thing.

The series overall is pretty faithful to the tone of the books.
 
Last edited:
I'm really enjoying the show; just finished episode 10 today. Love the casting, theme song, vibe, all that. (Never thought of Irving as a bad-ass black dude, though; I always thought of him as a weaselly white guy.)

Funny seeing at least actors from 24 (Brasher and Elanor) and at least two from The Wire (Edgar and Irving).

It is a Mac and also a Marantz TT. No clue to the receiver or speakers.

Ohm Walsh speakers, maybe 4s? I think the receiver might be a Mac 1700.

Nice line (Bosch to Maddie): "I'll get you some discs and a CD player ... better yet, I'll get you some vinyl, and a turntable. Best way to listen."

Interestingly, they revised the pilot after first releasing it; now I want to watch the revised version. Per Wikipedia: "All ten episodes of the first season of Bosch were released for viewing on Amazon Instant Video on February 13, 2015. Portions of the first episode were changed from the pilot, including the addition of Mimi Rogers to the cast to replace Amy Price-Francis as plaintiff's attorney Honey Chandler and the addition of a scene in which Bosch testifies in court and is questioned about his background by Chandler."

attachment.php


(And no leering at the girl; she's supposed to be 14 in the show; this was just the best shot I could get of the system.)
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Yes, it's a very old formula, but it's done well enough that I can still get into it. The cool thing about the Bosch personality is what a hard-headed dick he is; makes for an interesting character.
 
Last edited:
The wife and I watched episode #1. We both enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a bit slow as most shows of this type tend to be at the start. Characters need to be introduced, locales set, ect. I expect the action and intrigue to be ramped up as the series progresses.

The only thing that didn't seem right was Bosch's house. Quite the bachelor pad for a detective. I'm not sure where he got the money for it but maybe that will be addressed. I couldn't make out his audio system. I saw a TT and what may have been a SS Mac next to it. :scratch2:

cubdog

He's a detective with enough money on the side.. hmm thinking training day. Let us know if it's good after a few more episodes.
 
He got the money from a movie that was made about him and one of his arrests; see Post #14.

Nothing dodgy about his wealth.
 
I watched the pilot when I first got my Fire TV stick and was interested enough that I was anxious for Amazon to put the rest of the series on Prime.

I have read most of Michael Connelly's books and am a big fan of his writing. Although I like the Harry Bosch character, I like the Mickey Haller series (The Lincoln Lawyer) character better. They captured him pretty well in the movie and I also think Amazon captured Bosch pretty well. I personally pictured him as a little bigger and a little younger, but they captured the personality quite well. My biggest complaint was that he used much more profanity in the pilot than the Bosch character in the books does, but they seemed to have tamed it down in the subsequent episodes. There are a ton of Harry Bosch books as well as him appearing in other series books, so there is a bunch of material should the series continue.

It is so hard to squeeze a 400 page book into a movie that the movies is often hard to follow if you have not read the book. I like that this series takes 2 or 3 of his books and spreads them over a series where it is much easier to develop character as well as twists and turns in the plot.

I hope the series continues for many more seasons.
 
My wife and I enjoyed it, and its not a receiver, it seems to be a McIntosh MX-110 preamp tuner MC240 amp, the speakers are Ohm Walsh 1's
 
We finished up season one last night. Both the wife and I liked it quite a bit. I thought the actor who played the serial killer was especially good in that role. Quite creepy in an understated way. Actually I thought most of the acting was a cut above the norm. Hopefully we'll get more.

cubdog
 
Back
Top Bottom