• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 301 vs Small Advent Loudspeaker

progger7

Active Member
there is a guy selling an original pair of Bose 301. How are these likely to sound with a Marantz 2275. Compared to Small Advent Loudspeakers? Never heard Bose before.
 
Register to hide this ad
The Advents Biotch slap the Blose right in the kis :twak: ser.
 
Those Small Advents are very nice; very close to their Large brothers sound in a smaller package. Very good bass. I think you would prefer the SAs to the Bose.
I had a set for a while a few years back that I refurbed to sell and found them to be better than I expected, but nothing special.
But then again, to each their own :yes:
 
Bose 301's against Smaller Advents = a paraplegic challenging Arnold Palmer to a round of golf. I believe the Smallers are 4 ohms if that will impact your decision.

TA
 
The 301's are one of Boses' most respected speakers. The original Bose 301's had a single tweeter with a "deflector board" to spread the high frequencies out for reflected sound. I have the series II 301's which have two tweeters facing opposite directions. This is the style (out of style these days) still used today. A lot of people bash Bose but they do have their place.

The 8" ported woofer peaks at around 63 Hz that is a fundamental bass tone to a lot of music. The Bose (properly located) can have decisive slam and power. The 301 are a fine rock and roll speaker. They can be very enjoyable to listen to.

But they are not audiophile.

Also have a pair of large Advents (said to be near sonic twins to the small advents), which are in a different league than the 301's. These can be called audiophile. They continue to amaze. Currently hooked up to a 220 watt amp and, as long as I don't get crazy, they take it just fine. Bass is extended and accurate, but does not have the "bam" of the Bose. The midrange is laid back and accurate. The treble is clean and impressive for a 30-year-old design. Currently on the lookout for a second pair to try double stacking.

There is not a bad choice here. Listen to both, in your own home if possible, and you decide which best suits your taste.
 
I guess there is a difference between the small Advent and the Baby Advents?? I picked up a pair of Baby III's and ANY Bose would walk them, wouldn't take much more than an underpowered personal CD player to do it either. Maybe they were cooked before I bought them..I don't know as an uncle picked them up for me but I'm not impressed at all. Just my $.02, Bob
 
The Small Advent is a COMPLTELY differnent animal than a Baby Advent. The Small Advent had a NINE inch woofer, the Baby an 8". The Small Advent had the same tweeter as the Large Advent, the Baby a much smaller tweeter.

The Small Advent, IMHO, actually has better fidelity through the mids than the Large Advent. And it'll go lower than the 301, by far. It'll also have much more "accurate" midrange reproduction than the 301, and bass that is tighter (less boomy) than the 301 too.

Not that the 301 is all bad... far from it. There's ways to go FAR further wrong than Bose 301s... they're a decent, competant speaker. But the Small Advent is a REALLY GOOD speaker, not just merely competant...

Now, the Small Advent will need quite a bit more power than the 301... the 301 is fine, even on amps as small as 20-25 watts/channel, playing LOUD. OTOH, the Small Advent, I'd use at least 40-50 watts/channel. That's the only tradeoff, for more bass in basically the same size box...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I have a pair of original Bose 301s and they are the worst speakers I've ever heard (not counting junk speakers like what you might get with a cheap bookself system). Most Bose speakers at least sound pleasing even if they aren't accurate, but the 301s just sound flat, muddy and dull to me. The small Advent is an excellent speaker as long as it has good foam surrounds. I doubt any Bose speaker would be better than the Advents. This is coming from someone who owns 2 pairs of 901s, 201s and 2 wave radios!
 
Back
Top Bottom