• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose series one no equalizer any alteratives

Register to hide this ad
I have used a set of 901's and allowed a DSP to equalize them and it did a good job, maybe better than the equalizer.

I always thought the Bose philosophy of producing speakers with intentionally bad freq-resp really odd, but maybe they did it to help sell electronics too and make more money. Good engineer, but incredible marketer..
 
According to this thread, the Series 1 and 2 use the same EQ, so that should increase odds of finding one.

Edit: apologies to those reading this in the future, but there is a Series II EQ on EBay right now.
 
Last edited:
All Pro Sound used to carry their own branded stereo active EQ for the Bose 801. It works fine for the 901s, too. I can't locate it in their current catalog, but they might still be available. They were quite inexpensive the last time I bought one. Give them a call.
GeeDeeEmm
 
I always thought the Bose philosophy of producing speakers with intentionally bad freq-resp really odd, but maybe they did it to help sell electronics too and make more money. Good engineer, but incredible marketer..

Bose used wide range "single" drivers and used EQ to compensate for the flaws single drivers have--limited bass and limited highs. What he gained was a simple design and the coherence many single driver enthusiasts consider more important than extend response. "Bad" response was not intentional but inherent in the nature of the approach. Indeed, the single driver approach has become quite trendy in the past few years, though few give Bose credit for being ahead of the times with it.
 
I agree also, but the problem is that he was ahead of his times. Of course a single full range driver is the best. But that best needs a full range flat frequency response and no Bose ever achieved that, even with EQ. Then once the 901 came out it all went technically downhill.
The $1000 acoustimass (because bass doesn't need to be directional below 150hz?), or the really odd 601's with drivers firing every which way.
Bose lost direction and sold himself out the capitalist devil.
 
901 series one. Have no equalizer running 90 watts max. I've not found original bose equalizer. Is there any alternatives.

In one word, no, unless you go with an adjustable equalizer in the tape loop and try to do it by ear. The equalizer goes in the preamp external loop circuit and is separate from the amp itself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
7
I have used a set of 901's and allowed a DSP to equalize them and it did a good job, maybe better than the equalizer.

I always thought the Bose philosophy of producing speakers with intentionally bad freq-resp really odd, but maybe they did it to help sell electronics too and make more money. Good engineer, but incredible marketer..

The design is 9 midrange drivers with a naturally drastically tipped - up combined response curve that must be forced to flat via eq, it's inherent in the concept.
Sorry if this repeats a previous posting but it need be emphasized that the speaker must be eq'ed to work right.
This is the choice between designs that clutter the line level signal path vs a design that need be comped at the drivers themselves. My preference is the 2nd approach as the 'cleaner' approach.


Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Just FYI, there's not enough boost in the typical 31 band eq to do the job.

Agreed. Boost from a Bose Equalizer will approach +18dB at some points, most notably low frequencies below 100Hz.

Further, Bose used an early profiling system, called Syncom, to test the Series I and II drivers. The problem was that the production variances of speaker attributes were too wide for an equalizer to work with them. Put another way, Bose had to check the drivers before they were installed to be sure they met spec. This meant that 9 drivers all would behave as they designed them.

I can tell you that I've tried cascading 2 parametric equalizers in an attempt to re-create the response curve of the 901 EQ systems. Its tough mainly because cascading equalizers can result in overdriving the one downstream if levels are not set properly. Quite tedious and the EQ curve still will not be fully correct with the 901 EQ.

I also agree that the best approach is to purchase a known-good 901 EQ for the Series I or II model. Also run a frequency sweep of both cabinets to be sure that all drivers are working and do not have any loose voice coil windings that can buzz at certain frequencies. I had very few 901 repairs when I ran a Bose warranty repair station back in the mid-70s. This included quite a few bars that ran them for disco/dance applications.

Enjoy them!

Cheers,

David
 
I picked up a pair of 1968 901's two weeks ago - it has the eq and manual - the eq needed a little contact cleaner and now it operates perfect - the speakers sound incredibly smooth and much better than the series iv I picked up this summer. I refoamed the woofers on the iv , but since the series I has cloth surrounds they should be good for a long time - I really think the 901's are a fun speaker to play around with.
 
I have had 901's (Series II) since the early 70's when the Series II came out. Always been wonderful, though in recent years the tape monitor switch has been dirty. Finally last week I removed the case (out of warranty, right?), sprayed a little contact cleaner into the open switch bodies and we are back to completely wonderful again.

The other thread regarding recapping the equalizer has me a little worried and thinking...Sonic Firework's Fanfare For the Common Man is still fantastic, though Also Sprach Zarathustra is terrible...they just don't handle that low organ pedal! (of course, it could be a whole bunch of other things too I suppose).

41 years on, I am thinking about a pair of Wharfdale Denton's and a subwoofer...???
 
I'd encourage anyone possessing the early 901 EQ to recap them. It's quite easy, and the caps in mine were waaaaayyy out if spec. Cost I think $15 for new ones (electrolytics only)
 
Is there any alternatives.

As others have said, no, not exactly.

But, using a plain old EQ, even a 7-band, at least until you can secure the proper EQ will be a LOT better than using nothing.

I had a picture showing the slider arrangement and the resulting curve but deleted all that stuff a while back.
 
Bose EQs come up all the time on eBay. You have to pay the going rate, which is sometimes more than a rough pair of speakers would cost. Sadly, what you get is a box that's probably got a bunch of components that have drifted out of spec. But once it's restored, it's what the DESIGNER meant them to be used with. Kind of like using OEM parts when you repair your car, you expect them to be the best there is because they were designed by the manufacturer.

Lee.
 
Back
Top Bottom