• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bottlehead Identification Help Needed

Boyotk

New Member
Hello all,
I have a Bottlehead preamp that I inherited and don't know much about it. I was hoping that someone on the forum might be able to i.d. the model and if it has been modified. Thanks in advance for any info.IMG_20200704_145741239.jpg IMG_20200704_145650678.jpg IMG_20200704_145836961.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200704_145912804.jpg
    IMG_20200704_145912804.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200704_144959776.jpg
    IMG_20200704_144959776.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 41
Register to hide this ad
Looks like a Foreplay II with the current source boards added. Nice custom case, too! It will use 12AU7 tubes.
 
All I see is guts what about the top side and such since this is a unique build?

The difference between an FP I and FP II is the wiring of the tube heaters. The FP I had a 12V tap on the transformer and wired the heaters in series. The FP II had 6V tap and wired the heaters individually. So you need to look at the wiring of the heaters on the tubes to know FP I from FP II. I don't know the FP III.

That is a nice 'mod' for the box, making the unit much more conventional.
 
What tubes

I do see the CCS boards in there. I worked on a Foreplay 2, it had way too much gain. I fixed it by removing those boards and installing the resistor they replaced. I also seem to recall doing something with the heater supply. I think in stock form it grounded one side. I changed it to a balanced connection to ground to help get rid of some residual hum that it had.
 
The heaters can also be converted to DC, using a wall wart. Need to verify 12volt or 6 volt first.
 
Just two knobs? Foreplay has three, two volume controls and an input selector. I guess this one with the unique build might have different knob use.
 
It may have a Stereo pot instead of the two mono pots. I always preferred the two pot setup for fine tuning the balance.
 
and I prefer a stereo pot because it doesn't require fine-tuning the balance :) Not so bad if its a stepped attenuator but I still like single-knob volume controls. Its why I don't mess with dual mono integrated amps or twin mono preamps.
 
Thanks for the replies.
The one thing I do know about the build is that it uses a stepped attenuator (32?).
I very much appreciate the info offered.
Likely to be seen in Bartertown before long.
 
Back
Top Bottom