• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

Thanks Mark. Hopefully, I'll get her fixed up this weekend. The Z9 is definately a beast, 66 lbs, 170 watts 7 channels driven, and 2 effects channels at 45 watts for a total of 9.1. Or 9.2 if you count the stereo subs it can handle. I really wasn't looking for anything that elaborate at the time, but I found a deal on craigslist that was hard to refuse. Considering that a CR-3020 weighs about the same makes me wonder about things though.

I almost forgot about this little beast. Its a RX-V1 I bought about 7 years ago. A classic, but not really vintage. It goes into protect mode, but seeing how I'm in the mood and have the service manual. I thought I give it a go and try to repair it. Great sounding, but lacks the newer features.

Some poor sap traded up to the RX-Z11 and you got the Z-9. How sad. :D Great! HT receiver, it actually has more power than the Z11. :scratch2:

I run the lowly RX-V3800 but with outboard amplification on the mains >> bridged PC2002M's... Mmmmm, tasty.
 
Yamaha MX-830 Amp

I have always been a fan of the titanium (TI) series Yamaha components, and I started collecting several a while back. One amp (MX-830) is a bit obscure in that I know of it via my old brochures, but have never seen one. It was at the top of it's series (included the MX-630, MX-M70, & YST-A5...ever heard of these?), and had a companion pre-amp (CX-830, which I have). It was no slouch at 170wpc @ 8ohms). Anyway, would love to see nudies of this baby.
---
CDV-1700TI, CDX-2000, CDX-530TI, CX-1000U, CX-830TI, DSP–A700TI, DSP–E492, DSP–E300TI, DVD-S1200, DVD-S795, KX-330TI, MS101 II, MX-1, YST-M10, YST-SE10, YST-SW1500, YST-SW500, YST-SW20

Past:
NS-10MS, NS-10MC, P3500, RX730TI, WF215SB
 
Last edited:
Right now, I only have two Yamaha pieces:

M2 amplifier
NS-1000M speakers

I just missed out on a GT-2000 turntable, which was the "watershed point" for me, when I shifted from accumulating too much gear, to trimming back on the gear, but I WILL still get one of them, one day.

Having visited Mark B and seen some of his spectacular Yamaha pieces, I've been keeping my eyes open for some of the bigger, rarer Yammies, but so far haven't found any. I've passed up on a number of lesser ones, in the meantime.

I did find a pair of 101M amps in a shop nearby. These amps are so ultra-rare that the Vintage Knob site calls them "invisibilia":
http://www.thevintageknob.org/INVISIBILIA/OTHERS/yamaha-101M.html
Unfortunately, the pair I found were in for repair/renovation, and NOT for sale, but perhaps that is best, as they'd probably cost enough to bankrupt a mere mortal like me. Sure were drool-worthy, though! :drool: :yes:
I'm sure that you would love a GT-2000 - it's a source worthy of any system.

There's a 101M listed on HiFiDo. At 250,000¥ (about $2600) + shipping it's outside of my budget at the moment.
 
I'm sure that you would love a GT-2000 - it's a source worthy of any system.

There's a 101M listed on HiFiDo. At 250,000¥ (about $2600) + shipping it's outside of my budget at the moment.

a.jpg


:drool::music::drool::music::drool:

She's a bit rough around the edges... (that's my way of justifying NOT having one. LOL)
 
a.jpg


:drool::music::drool::music::drool:

She's a bit rough around the edges... (that's my way of justifying NOT having one. LOL)
Wow.
That is one gorgeous looking amp. :drool: :thmbsp:

Given that Mark.B says that it is basically the 5002 in consumer livery,it would sound as good as it looks.

I like bery,bery much. :D
 
Some poor sap traded up to the RX-Z11 and you got the Z-9. How sad. :D Great! HT receiver, it actually has more power than the Z11. :scratch2:

I run the lowly RX-V3800 but with outboard amplification on the mains >> bridged PC2002M's... Mmmmm, tasty.

Nope, luckier than that although part of me hated it. Someone in Atlanta needed some cash and sold it to me very cheap. I could tell he hated to see it go, but the way I looked at it, if it wasn't me it would be someone else and he did get the money he needed. Beautiful shape, with just one small scratch. No manual or remote, but it did have the mic and my harmony runs it just fine.

I came very close the 3800. The V1 had just died and I needed to replace it, but they had just come out and wanted something that had been reviewed. I had originally bought a demo Z9, but when it arrived the whole back in was caved in so I had to send it back. The only other unit I liked in my price range was a referbished Marantz SR-9600. It had great reviews and hdmi so I picked that up instead. Its a great sounding reciever, but lacks some of the bells and whistles the Yamaha have. Two months later, I run into the Z9 deal. Now I have both. I should probably sell one, but I'd be hard pressed to decide which one to give up. I would hardly call a 3800 lowly though. Its a great reciever and now that some reviews have come out I understand it sound just wonderful.

As for the Z11 its a beast, but I understand it has problems with its video upconversion. From what I've read, I'd go with the Z7 over the Z11. It came out later and is a more refined product. I more into picking up discontinued flagships anyway. You get the companies best product as far as sound quality is concerned, but the depreciation is already happened.
 
Hey Mark, you are soooo lucky with your silver UC-I !!
As long as you let me find my silver C-I, I'm not jealous :D

101M:

Looks certainly nice :drool: and price is still rather reasonable (for such a tank), but who would afford shipping for such a beast ?
MX-10000 is better anyhow (except the missing possibility to bridge it), so I personally would rather get me a second MX-10000 instead of a 101M :scratch2:
 
Not home audio but...

I keep finding more Yamaha toys in my stash...RX15 drum programmer from the 80s and it still works just fine:banana:

RX15.jpg


J.R.
 
Cool find Mark!

Yet I still like the B-1 best without the UC-1 attached to it. Just looks so cool and classy with the black & silver front, like a statement piece. The meters just make it look more 'normal'.
 
I keep finding more Yamaha toys in my stash...RX15 drum programmer from the 80s and it still works just fine:banana:

RX15.jpg


J.R.

Of course it does... that was back when lower priced consumer goods were still built to last! Oh, how I miss the cheap veneer of the 80s. :lmao:
 
[
Hey Mark, you are soooo lucky with your silver UC-I !!
As long as you let me find my silver C-I, I'm not jealous :D

101M:

Looks certainly nice :drool: and price is still rather reasonable (for such a tank), but who would afford shipping for such a beast ?
MX-10000 is better anyhow (except the missing possibility to bridge it), so I personally would rather get me a second MX-10000 instead of a 101M :scratch2:
You're not jealous that I got a silver UC-1? Next is a silver C-1! (THEN you'll be jealous :D)

While the 101M may not match the MX-10000's refinement it is nevertheless a terrific amp, and very cool looking.

And it's BIG.
 
enjoing the Yammies!

I have been offline a little while (baby) but still enjoing my setup:
tx-1000 tuner, cx-1000 pre-amp, mx-1000 amp, cdx1110 cd-player and since this week the ns-1000m speakers!! First couple of weeks i have tried the Infinity Kappa 9.2 but i wanted to try the NS-1000's. Totally different! The ns-1000 monitors have a very detailed sound (so did the kappa's but in a different way) I really like the looks of the Yammies! Anyone any ideas to better this set-up? Ideas always welcome!!!
 
I have been offline a little while (baby) but still enjoing my setup:
tx-1000 tuner, cx-1000 pre-amp, mx-1000 amp, cdx1110 cd-player and since this week the ns-1000m speakers!! First couple of weeks i have tried the Infinity Kappa 9.2 but i wanted to try the NS-1000's. Totally different! The ns-1000 monitors have a very detailed sound (so did the kappa's but in a different way) I really like the looks of the Yammies! Anyone any ideas to better this set-up? Ideas always welcome!!!

MX-2000. Unreal. Really. I mean really. :drool:
 
Anyone any ideas to better this set-up? Ideas always welcome!!!

It's all a matter of taste, just read this thread. With the arrival of the PC-5002/101M, all the Yamaha comsumer amps and pre amps is in here. Maybe only missing the 101C, IF it ever was made.

On the ohter hand, it is properly only a matter of time before the president of the Yamaha Corp is woken up in the middel of the night with the question "when will the 101C arrive at Marks front door... and in silver please?" :D
 
This is a pic of the work system, it's in my office. Yamaha CR-1040 receiver, and an hp computer. My sony 700es is on top of it. (was on the test bench :>)
the 1040 is pretty cool, but my sony blows it away for power. all in all though it's a nice older receiver that still rocks!
 
Last edited:
I'd like to add a two-channel amp to the mains of my Yamaha RX-V1300 for audio use in the 150 per channel range and up. The 1300 has 100 per channel now, but I'd like more and I'd like to run a safe 4 ohm load. Another wrinkle of my requirement is a common ground for my Polk SDA-1a speakers to run with the dimensional interconnect.
So here's my question for the Yammy experts:
Which amps should I be looking at for this purpose? I'm eyeing M-2, MX-600, M-65 and watching audiogon, CL and epay. Opinions?
Jim
 
Ok, well... it may not be silver, hefty build quality, really old, or really powerful... but it's sound speaks for itself. This RX-350 is a true Yamaha Natural Sound receiver! Pure, clear, lifelike, and a great capability to effortlessly present complex passages as individual instruments. All this for $10 at the Goodwill and all it needed was a lamp...

IMG_0369_2.jpg


Michael
 
M-65 would be my first pick, it has a little more power and better damping factor than the MX-600. But I have never comparied the amps i an A/B, so this is a little from the hip.
The M-2 might not fit the bill for several reasons, the first is the price tag. You can properly get several of the smaller units for the price of one M-2, second it is not rated for 4 ohm loads (but I have never heard any complaining that they burn if they do get a 4 ohm load). Finaly it is a 240W amp and quite in a different leuge than the other 2 amps. The best of the amps is with no dought the M-2.

Where to find? well local newspaper is normally the best place to get old hi-fi gear (or here on AK), epay is easy to track and normally an ok place to buy. Just use common sence when you read the ad and don't jump head first.
 
With the arrival of the PC-5002/101M, all the Yamaha comsumer amps and pre amps is in here. Maybe only missing the 101C, IF it ever was made.

I conducted a search on this thread (useless as the search function is) and didn't find the B-2x. Here's mine with a sneak peak of the C-2x that drives it:

b2x12.jpg

b2x01.jpg

b2x06.jpg

b2x07.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom