• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Canton Speaker Capacitor and Coil Reference Thread

Canton Quinto 540:
1182 Wego elko glatt 35VAC 56uF bipolar
1183 ...........................35VAC 15uF bipolar
3098 ..........................25VAC 18uF
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20201125_124246_org.bromite.bromite.jpg
    Screenshot_20201125_124246_org.bromite.bromite.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 89
Canton Quinto 540:
1182 Wego elko glatt 35VAC 56uF bipolar
1183 ...........................35VAC 15uF bipolar
3098 ..........................25VAC 18uF

Thanks Divu!
I have now added the 1182 and 1183 to the list.

Note to any Canton bosses or supervisors that may read this thread: Lukas Reiter is a very valuable man to us Canton friends/fans and has been extremely helpful to us. Please give him a raise in salary and keep him forever.

Cheers,
James
 
I have tried to contact Lukas but others have replied, saying that they cannot help me because there is nothing for my speakers.
 
Awesome resource! Thanks a plenty to all contributors, and especially you, James. I'm tinkering with 80's circa Pullman bars, HC100, Plus C and Plus S subs and sats, because I found them all fairly cheap, except for the few I bought back in the day.... Really awesome little speakers for their size, but I think the crossovers could be improved upon, especially the HPF from sub to sat. Recommendations are welcome from those who have done likewise.....
 
Hi 2ms,

Happy to be of service, it has been a fun bit of research.

So far I have only sourced Plus C and S for friends and family, haven't actually used them for myself. But in general I've been getting good results with replacing the tweeter caps with PP film. It always does good things for the highs. In all cases I have for sure replaced the rest of the old elcos, they always measure high, often around 20% high, with high ESR also.

My best recommendation is to start a thread for your project, there will be sure to be other Canton fans that drop in for the fun.

Cheers,
James
 
I have tried to contact Lukas but others have replied, saying that they cannot help me because there is nothing for my speakers.

Antonio you have to get a meter that is made for measuring capacitance and measure the old caps. I haven't been able to find a value for that number. When you get them measured we can try to make some guesses as to what they should be.

Cheers,
James
 
Hi Stefan, and welcome to Audiokarma.

I'm always happy when people find the thread helpful, that's what it is here for.

I think that you will find when you replace the caps that they will have drifted considerably in value, normally in the direction of too high.

Concerning the 2710, 30µF would be a fairly unusual value and non-standard. I'm feeling pretty confidant that we can stay with 33µF and that is what I would use. But if we find a Canton schematic that shows otherwise I'll revise that entry.

Cheers,
James

edit: see below, I was wrong and had made a mistake earlier. Corrected.
 
Last edited:
Great to find this thread. I just took in a pair of Karat 300's and am recapping them. Crossover below, I can't find a schematic online so the Wego codes were a mystery.

The 22uF are measuring 10% high, 3.3uF 2902's 15% high. (Edit) The "mystery" 2102's measured 7.5 and 8.2uF. I'm crossing fingers they are supposed to be 6.8's and replacing them with that value.

IMG_5326 (Custom).jpg
 
Last edited:
A question with the best chance of being answered on this thread: what are the two big gray, apparently sintered iron things in the photo above which are used as mounting points for the crossover? They don't seem to have connections to the PCB, and are not coils. Thanks for any enlightenment
 
Great to find this thread. I just took in a pair of Karat 300's and am recapping them. Crossover below, I can't find a schematic online so the Wego codes were a mystery.

The 22uF are measuring 10% high, 3.3uF 2902's 15% high, and "mystery" 2102's for the midrange are 10 & 20% high if they are 6.8uF as assumed.

View attachment 2174630

Hi Obankenibi, Nice speakers. The schematics for first generation Karat's are so far unobtainium. And the 2102 cap is one that has stubbornly stayed behind the curtain, so we are still guessing. LOL, lately when I use google or Startpage to find more Canton cap info they keep leading me back here. I guess that we just have to hope that someday some of the older schematics pop up. The numbers that you measured on the old caps sound pretty typical. ESR will also be pretty high.

To answer your question about the big grey things, Masterbyrew has it correct. Those are FK Ferrite-bell-core coils for the midrange (left) and woofer (right) and for sure will be connected somewhere. I can just see enough of the woofer coil number to guess that it is 3000 = FK52-350-10 = 3.50mH / 1.0 mm. Can't see the mid coil number.

Cheers,
James
 
Hi everyone!
There is Canton 436.2
There is a desire to swap a ferrite core drossel for an air core drossel.
The drossel is marked as 2253

Can anyone come across such a marking on the drossel?
Can you suggest its parameters?

Wrote a request to kundendienst@canton.de but no response yet
And one more moment

6007 = 2-020-06 = 0.20µH / 0.6mm.

Isn't that a typo?
Maybe 0.2mH and not 0.20µH?

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 31
Hi everyone!
There is Canton 436.2
There is a desire to swap a ferrite core drossel for an air core drossel.
The drossel is marked as 2253

Can anyone come across such a marking on the drossel?
Can you suggest its parameters?

Wrote a request to kundendienst@canton.de but no response yet
And one more moment

6007 = 2-020-06 = 0.20µH / 0.6mm.

Isn't that a typo?
Maybe 0.2mH and not 0.20µH?

Thanks.

Hi Potapich and welcome to Audiokarma,

Sorry, I can't help with that coil number. Canton sometimes takes a few days to answer questions but they do answer.

Thanks for pointing out the 6007, yes, that was a typo, now corrected. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
James
 
Canton karat 20
capacitor replacement. The sound has improved.

20210814-110024.jpg

20210810-165000.jpg

20210814-103439.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom