This is a two photo story.
Below is a photo of the grain harvester that was owned by my grandfather and his cousin. It was one of very few around at the time, so they did harvesting for neighbors as well as themselves. It's being pulled by a Holt Bros. Caterpillar "60". As you can see, the harvester itself has a single steel wheel in the front, and two large steel wheels in the rear. The harvester was eventually replaced with more modern equipment, and was parked in a barn. Years later, it was given to a friend who restores old engines and wanted to tackle the harvester engine. After removing the engine, the rest of the harvester - mostly wood on a steel frame - was parked at his ranch. About 10 years ago he had a fire, and the wood body of the harvester burned to the ground.
I happened to run into him some years back, and we got to talking about the harvester. Seems he had removed a few other parts before it caught fire. If you look at the front of the harvester towards the top, you'll see a man standing there with his hand on something. That's the handwheel that was used to raise and lower the header on the harvester. He had removed it, and asked if I wanted it. I gladly accepted it.
It was in pretty bad shape, so I decided to do the unthinkable and clean it up. I took it apart, glass beaded the ring, hub, and all of the carriage bolts and nuts that held it together. I lightly cleaned the wood handles with steel wool, then rubbed them with boiled linseed oil. The metal parts got a coating of clear lacquer, and it now hangs in our kitchen (wifey loves it). Here's a photo:
There are a few other pieces we have, but this is my favorite.