twiiii
Lunatic Member
Concert Grands are 94 db 4 ft 1 watt. Thats about 95.3 db 1 meter 1 watt. So rated at 100 watts that means 115. db 4 ft 1 watt or as a Grand doesn't come together until 15 or 16 feet. That means your level would be 103 db each . A Klipsch horn is 121 db at 4 ft or about 109 db at 16 feet. A Jubilee is rated at 109 db so with 100 watts - 12 db would be 117 db. So you can see a Concert Grand comes up way short. I use 250 watts for the bass and another 250 watts for the mid/tweeter bi-amped. But I seldom use of 60 watts. But then I am not the type thats into hard rock or really strong hard pounding Country western or pop music. I am more about quality than quantity. For me if a system puts out 104 db thats all I need most of the time. So the two Concert Grands with a center Symphony is all I really need from my HT system. Where some people want ten db more.
Now my line arrays are 88 db 2 watts so at 12 feet with 500 watts each. Thats 118 db with two speakers. But as line arrays only loose 3 db when you double the distance then at 12 feet thats 112 db. So I seldom use more 60 watts for both channels 300 watts for both channels with peaks.
If your a concert goer a full orchestra can put out 115 db in the front rows. As I like sitting further back to experience more room ambience and a better blend levels seldom reach 104 or 5 db and thats what both my systems reach without strain or become dynamically challenged. Most speakers such as Klipsch and JBL compress the signal 3 to 5 db at maximum power rating. The Jubilee and well designed line arrays being the exception. I haven't measured Wilson, Magico or modern B&W but I know B&W compressed the signal with the older 800 and 801 models. Big JBL's and Altecs and EV's not very much. Where new models seem to more often. But thats because the older speaker designed around professional drivers and horns, where a lot of todays are not. Being more consumer oriented. Even JBL's DD67000 based on commercial drivers compresses the signal 3.2 db at rated power. The Jubilee is supposed to remain linear at 100 watt levels.
Now my line arrays are 88 db 2 watts so at 12 feet with 500 watts each. Thats 118 db with two speakers. But as line arrays only loose 3 db when you double the distance then at 12 feet thats 112 db. So I seldom use more 60 watts for both channels 300 watts for both channels with peaks.
If your a concert goer a full orchestra can put out 115 db in the front rows. As I like sitting further back to experience more room ambience and a better blend levels seldom reach 104 or 5 db and thats what both my systems reach without strain or become dynamically challenged. Most speakers such as Klipsch and JBL compress the signal 3 to 5 db at maximum power rating. The Jubilee and well designed line arrays being the exception. I haven't measured Wilson, Magico or modern B&W but I know B&W compressed the signal with the older 800 and 801 models. Big JBL's and Altecs and EV's not very much. Where new models seem to more often. But thats because the older speaker designed around professional drivers and horns, where a lot of todays are not. Being more consumer oriented. Even JBL's DD67000 based on commercial drivers compresses the signal 3.2 db at rated power. The Jubilee is supposed to remain linear at 100 watt levels.
Last edited:

