• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Commercials You Hate

The commercials that I REALLY hate are the commercials that try to hijack some nostalgic old song and then change the words/lyrics of the song into the brand name or product name of what they are selling. It really offends me in a kind of personal way, because I feel like it's tainting my memories of that song. I go out of my way to mute my receiver as soon as possible whenever one of those commercials comes on.

Most other commercials are easy enough for me to ignore. I usually start doing stuff on my phone during commercial breaks, but I've also trained myself pretty well to ignore commercials even if I'm literally looking directly at the screen - I'll be daydreaming or whatever instead of paying attention to the commercial.

The only other commercials that bother me are prescription drug commercials. It's totally obvious that everything on the screen is designed to distract you while they read off the side effects, often a very long list of very terrible side effects. And often what they show on the screen seems like it would lead to unrealistic expectations, fake promises, and preying on people's emotions. Showing scenes of elderly individuals hugging and playing with their grandchildren, or taking a vacation in some tropical resort, with the obvious implication being basically "Want to be able to do this? Then buy our drug". I believe that medication is something that should be between a doctor and their patient, with the doctor being the one to suggest medications. Not people coming into a doctor's office and suggesting a medication to their doctor based on unrealistic expectations implanted into them via a TV commercial... These commercials should be illegal, and I believe they actually are illegal in many countries, but obviously not in the USA.

It's also funny that the acting in prescription drug commercials and the acting in every single movie and TV show on the Hallmark Channel is literally exactly the same. The way they talk, the way they act, their artificially happy demeanor - literally exactly the same.
 
The commercials that I REALLY hate are the commercials that try to hijack some nostalgic old song and then change the words/lyrics of the song into the brand name or product name of what they are selling. It really offends me in a kind of personal way, because I feel like it's tainting my memories of that song. I go out of my way to mute my receiver as soon as possible whenever one of those commercials comes on.

Most other commercials are easy enough for me to ignore. I usually start doing stuff on my phone during commercial breaks, but I've also trained myself pretty well to ignore commercials even if I'm literally looking directly at the screen - I'll be daydreaming or whatever instead of paying attention to the commercial.

The only other commercials that bother me are prescription drug commercials. It's totally obvious that everything on the screen is designed to distract you while they read off the side effects, often a very long list of very terrible side effects. And often what they show on the screen seems like it would lead to unrealistic expectations, fake promises, and preying on people's emotions. Showing scenes of elderly individuals hugging and playing with their grandchildren, or taking a vacation in some tropical resort, with the obvious implication being basically "Want to be able to do this? Then buy our drug". I believe that medication is something that should be between a doctor and their patient, with the doctor being the one to suggest medications. Not people coming into a doctor's office and suggesting a medication to their doctor based on unrealistic expectations implanted into them via a TV commercial... These commercials should be illegal, and I believe they actually are illegal in many countries, but obviously not in the USA.

It's also funny that the acting in prescription drug commercials and the acting in every single movie and TV show on the Hallmark Channel is literally exactly the same. The way they talk, the way they act, their artificially happy demeanor - literally exactly the same.
Couldn't agree more. Love the drug disclaimers "may cause cancer, other side effects such as PML, a severe brain infection, which could lead to DEATH".
 
Really getting tired of all the political commercials that are airing!

Watch DVDs/BR instead, like I`ve been doing for over 12 yrs. Best choice I ever made weening myself from the mindless **** storm spewed 24/7/365 whether OTA or free/paid sources !

Dedicated to In house media only, with no "outside polluted media" invading my life and peace of mind !

No political commercials on any of my optical media, at least in my 1,500 + and growing optical media selectable choices !

Ether suffer and deal with it or turn your back and walk away !

I don`t know, or want to know, and certainly don`t care anymore !

Ciao
 
Last edited:
Not comfortable with ads that aren't prime time family appropriate at those times, the sort that may prompt awkward questions from the kiddies about age inappropriate matters.

I'd still say the Boner Bob Santa commercials were the worst of the worst awkward ads. (Why is that man always grinning like that? Why do the grown up ladies want to sit in his lap? Ect.)
 
Last edited:
I just saw the most recent TacLight Max comm. It is the most ridiculous conglomeration of 'stolen valor' sentiment, idiotic situational concoctions, overstatement, and inane comparative claims.

Don't forget to witness how it can disable the big, bad guy. :rolleyes:

 
Notice how they run over the Taclight at the outer edge of the tire tread where its up off the ground anyway...but the other lights they put right in the center of the tread. :rolleyes:
 
Last day for the endless string of political commercials, at least for a few months, fingers crossed. I don't watch much TV. Its only on for background noise when I'm not listening to music. When it is on, I can't believe the string of 5, 6 or more political ads in a row. Money in politics?? I also receive 2-4 mailers every day for the last few months! At least I now have a good supply of air rifle targets.
 
Last day for the endless string of political commercials, at least for a few months, fingers crossed. I don't watch much TV. Its only on for background noise when I'm not listening to music. When it is on, I can't believe the string of 5, 6 or more political ads in a row. Money in politics?? I also receive 2-4 mailers every day for the last few months! At least I now have a good supply of air rifle targets.
Today I am going to tune out as they used to say. I voted, but I'm not going to stay up and watch the horse race like I used to. Makes me too anxious. My plan is to sit and listen to some jazz with a nice glass of red wine..
 
Today I am going to tune out as they used to say. I voted, but I'm not going to stay up and watch the horse race like I used to. Makes me too anxious. My plan is to sit and listen to some jazz with a nice glass of red wine..
I too am going zen. Broken is broken. It doesn't matter who wins. Life will probably go on. You stay up to date on the issues, check multiple sources, tune out the ads, vote and let it go. If I didn't detach I'd go crazy like my sister.
 
I too am going zen. Broken is broken. It doesn't matter who wins. Life will probably go on. You stay up to date on the issues, check multiple sources, tune out the ads, vote and let it go. If I didn't detach I'd go crazy like my sister.
Only thing on our ballot was one congressional seat, guess that means we voted the party line :rolleyes:
 
I hate all of the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups comercials

and liberty mutual insurance comercials
 
The commercials that I REALLY hate are the commercials that try to hijack some nostalgic old song and then change the words/lyrics of the song into the brand name or product name of what they are selling. It really offends me in a kind of personal way, because I feel like it's tainting my memories of that song. I go out of my way to mute my receiver as soon as possible whenever one of those commercials comes on.

Lookin' at you, O-O-O-Ozempic.
 
Back
Top Bottom