• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Concept16.5 or Pioneer sx 1250

I own the SX 1250 and the 16.5, both serviced a couple of years ago. to my ears the 16.5 sounds so much better than the sx-1250. the 16.5 really pumps out the bass. the SX 1250 just doesn't seem to have as much bass
Really? Both of my serviced 1250’s make my heart skip beats with their bass output. I can only wonder then, about the 16.5…
 
this is my opinion which really means nothing to anybody, but here's my list of my 160 Watt class receivers, listed by sound only, I'm leaving the looks department out
1st concept 16.5
two-way tie for second sansui g9000,
technics sa 5760
3rd pioneer SX 1250
 
Last edited:
I have more 160 w receivers that have been restored, but I haven't tested them against the pioneer SX 1250 yet
 
Nice to see some recent comments on a 16.5 thread! I just pulled mine out of a couple years storage. While it does sound great with CD and phono, the FM has a major problem.

With the FM Muting button engaged, the signal meter moves to a high strength reading when there is a strong signal, but there is no sound. With the Muting disengaged, very weak stations can be heard, but strong stations are still silent. My first thought is to clean the FM Muting switch. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Oh, yeah, Merry Christmas all!
 
Just a quick follow up in case anyone else has this problem. I was describing the issue to an audiopal and he ask if I was using an antenna. I did not have one connected because the signal strength meter was nearly maxed out when on a strong local station. I did connect an antenna and as they say in the forums, viola, problem solved.
 
this is my opinion which really means nothing to anybody, but here's my list of my 160 Watt class receivers, listed by sound only, I'm leaving the looks department out
1st concept 16.5
two-way tie for second sansui g9000,
technics sa 5760
3rd pioneer SX 1250

Maybe we should have a Concept 16.5 vs. Technically SA-5760 thread? Both are much rarer than either the SX-1250 or G-9000. Also while you state your opinion really matters to no one, at the same time it also parallels my experience with a few of those models. I now have my second SA-5760, and I knew owning my first one it was a better sound overall than the SX-1250 I had at one time. Better bass and the top end was clearer with vocals and sounds like snare and hi-hat.

I also have a G-22000 and the only Concept receiver I've ever owned, the mighty 6.5. It is substantially over built for a 65 watt receiver, a sturdy power supply, and even the power draw rating on the back is 550w! I think it would more than hold its own against most 100-120 watt receivers. So unless an 11.0 or 12D shows up locally, my Concept 6.5 isn't going anywhere, though I would love to compare a 16.5 against my G-22000, at which case I should compare to my SA-5760.
 
Maybe we should have a Concept 16.5 vs. Technically SA-5760 thread? Both are much rarer than either the SX-1250 or G-9000. Also while you state your opinion really matters to no one, at the same time it also parallels my experience with a few of those models. I now have my second SA-5760, and I knew owning my first one it was a better sound overall than the SX-1250 I had at one time. Better bass and the top end was clearer with vocals and sounds like snare and hi-hat.

I also have a G-22000 and the only Concept receiver I've ever owned, the mighty 6.5. It is substantially over built for a 65 watt receiver, a sturdy power supply, and even the power draw rating on the back is 550w! I think it would more than hold its own against most 100-120 watt receivers. So unless an 11.0 or 12D shows up locally, my Concept 6.5 isn't going anywhere, though I would love to compare a 16.5 against my G-22000, at which case I should compare to my SA-5760.
that would be a good matchup, (concept 16.5 versus the sansui g22,000) or we could up it one model using the g33000 which I just happened to own. or we could compare my sa1000 to the g33000 or my pioneer sx 1980 vs my sx 1250.
 
They'll all tell you how great it is but mum's the word when it comes to service.
So, not really so great.

i agree with mums the word. So i dug up a 16.5. No more.. for your eyes only. Kicking mum to the curb. Ive just completed a full rebuild/service of an 11.0. I took a look at the 16.5 schematics. Pleasantly surprised, there are lots of similarities. I’ll be posting a full rebuild in the next couple months of the 16.5 below. Its a modular based unit, like the 11.0. Making service, enjoyable?

Exhibit Concept ( ignore the hunk a junk below:). It’s there for scale. The concept comes in at -70 lbs. Tis’ a pig!
4683FD8E-3810-4AC3-8C52-14793936F56B.jpeg

C0EFC27E-0A58-4385-B445-02FCB04B1510.jpeg D41FF2A9-2184-4A2E-B539-33DE1C052E2A.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Excellent!
Seeing how everything about this unit has been a secret covert operation, and all ancient Chinese secrets held in a bank vault in iceland.
Perhaps you could create a BOM, and document points of concern/interest, voltages etc,etc.
Now my fear is that you will turn up missing.
Right now I'm doing my 2 pioneer sx1980's and rely on these threads and photos heavily.
I have been waiting for your step by step for about 3 years.
And I will be using your rebuild thread for my 16.5
Even willing to donate to your time, and will be involved in the thread most likely.
Thanks
Jim
 
2 pioneer sx1980's

Dual 1980’s!!!…..well the 16.5 should be a walk in the park. With the 1980’s you have lots of wire manipulation, unobtamium outputs and a dirty smokin’ hot power supply on those pioneers. What you have there is an episode of SAW.
With the Concept 16.5 you’ll have a showing of The sound of Music
 
Dual 1980’s!!!…..well the 16.5 should be a walk in the park. With the 1980’s you have lots of wire manipulation, unobtamium outputs and a dirty smokin’ hot power supply on those pioneers. What you have there is an episode of SAW.
With the Concept 16.5 you’ll have a showing of The sound of Music
Lol, don't know what Saw is but its sounds funny.
People don't realize that 16.5 is a different species, even from the other concepts.
Dual mono, damping factor of 400, 165 watts
I'd put mine up in a test between it and a sx1250
Bone stock it is fantastic.
And not to jack this thread but was comparing voltage from the good sx 1980 to the one on the bench, probe touched the exposed top of a cap, i think, snap and out goes the positive rail.
I was testing for the new current source boards being made to replace that Unobtainable 2sk34 fet.
And I have a full new bullet proof board coming from Canada, remade.
I want to have some current sources made and for sale so guys can just plug them in, but these power supply boards are beat to death,never should have even powered it on before replacing all the out of spec parts. Never had a probe slip like that before.
The 16.5's, me, and many others really need your help.
 
Having worked on both, I can assure you that the SX-1980 is vastly more sophisticated and advanced than the Concept 16.5.
That isn't to say that the SX-1980 doesn't suffer somewhat from the 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag syndrome.
 
I have a full new bullet proof board coming from Canada, remade.

Rick lays out some fine PCB boards. I also picked up one of those PS boards for a SX-1980 rebuild I did. I have no doubt the 16.5 will be a treat to work on. The 11.0 is a fine unit and a not too far distant cousin of the STA-2100. I’ll keep you posted when I delve into the 16.5. :thumbsup:

Fyi: SAW is a horror flick. Akin to repairing a SX1980 with all of its sophistication and twists and turns. :whip:
Best of luck on finishing them out. Just take your time and take the measure twice and cut once approach. If you blow the outputs…. a cry will be heard around the world.
 
Last edited:
He tenido tres 16.5s y un SX-1250. Todavía tengo el SX-1250.
En mi opinión honesta, el 11.0 fue una unidad con mejor sonido que el 16.5, que es un gran receptor con sonido.
yo creo lo mismo tenia 16.5 y ahora tengo 2 concept 11.0 Concept is better of any pioneer
 
Back
Top Bottom