• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Covid, not working and your employer heath insurance.

COBRA is a joke at the end of employment.... If you are unemployed how are you supposed to pay for that?

Have you looked at other policies? I looked at ours and after you evaluate coverage, copays, coinsurance and deductibles, COBRA wasn't nearly as expensive as I was led to believe.
 
I work for an ISP (cable company). Gainfully employed and happily extremely busy. A bit stressed but the alternative is worse. Same for my wife who’s an RN at a local hospital.
 
COBRA should make the existing plan available at the actual cost (including the company's share) for 18 months. I did that when I retired (2014). Not cheap, of course, but it was great insurance for the $, at least in my case. Chances are, you won't get anything like the kind of coverage a (large-ish) employer gets per dollar of premium on the open market or the exchange. I certainly couldn't.
 
COBRA should make the existing plan available at the actual cost (including the company's share) for 18 months. I did that when I retired (2014). Not cheap, of course, but it was great insurance for the $, at least in my case. Chances are, you won't get anything like the kind of coverage a (large-ish) employer gets per dollar of premium on the open market or the exchange. I certainly couldn't.

no you can’t, been there done that.
 
A word to the wise (from personal experience) - not all doctors and/or hospitals are required to take all insurance.

If you look online, many insurance companies will give you a list of providers in your area that accept their policies, if any. If not, call your doctor.
 
On the subject of insurance - I'm sure a lot of folk are being drafted (as in, you wanna work, this is what we got) to do home deliveries. Be aware that under normal circumstances, a lot of auto insurance DOES NOT COVER business related activities when using personal vehicles. Definitely want to double check with your agent first.
My wife delivers the news and has to have commercial insurance on her work vehicle.

They know how ta get ya.
 
I know many (some) states still operate exchanges for the uninsured. A friend was laid off a couple months ago, and the plans on the CA exchange were cheaper and better than what he had with his last employer / COBRA. I'm not sure how many states still have functional exchanges, but these could be a viable option if one doesn't have insurance through an employer.
 
Last edited:
Cobra also is your old insurance, just that you are paying completely for it. no need to change anything with your doctors or coverage except what you pay monthly.
 
Back
Top Bottom