• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dear friends...

chamaruco

Active Member
It's time to rise the bar or waste money?
I can buy a “one owner” sl1210 and give away my SL-1401 near mint.
Please give me your advice, I could make a really great mistake! Or not...
Tell me.Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Is the 1210 a MK2?
If it is, I prefer that headshell to the one-bolt kind on the earlier 1200s and the 1401
 
I consider it a lateral move at best. While I've never owned a 1200, I once owned a 1600 MKII, which has the same drive system and arm as the 1200, and replaced it with a 1401 because, to my ears, the 1401 sounded better.

John
 
Sorry John , are you saying to keep the sl1401

Yes, based on my similar (but not identical) experience, I think you would find no discernible improvement with the 1200. The SL-1401 is a very good turntable.

John
 
You may have more adjustment with a 1200. you can set the VTA or arm height on a 1200. Looking at images of the 1401 I don't see the adjustment ring. If it where me, I'd get the 1200 and keep the 1401.
 
By my side I could say the same..thanks for your feedback. I read too much about the sl1200 and not enough about SL-1401

The SL-##01 turntables were only produced for one year, 1978. My guess is they were dropped from the line because they took sales away from the more expensive SL-1300 MK2, 1400 MK2 and 1500 MK2. In any event, the "01s" were replaced the following year by the much cheaper SL-Q2 and Q3 which used the same drive system and arm but lacked the suspended sub-chassis of the "01s".

John
 
i own 1500(not 1401), 1200mk2, 1210mk2. apart from VTA adjustment, 12x0mk2 is also heavier 12.5kg vs 9.5kg, has adjustable feet with more damping than 1500. So it is less affected by vibrations from table or floor, which i found is a problem for my 1500.
by reading the spec, i believe your 1401 is superior to 1500 spec wise. 1401's speed is quartz controlled and the spec on wow/flutter is same as 1200mk2. But without VTA adjustment, you have limited cartridge selection, or you have to use multiple slipmats of different thickness, still not accurate.
i am sure 1401 is a great table for the 70 euro you paid. but it depends on how you are satisfied with it and whether the benefits of 1200 versus upgrade cost make sense to you.
 
But without VTA adjustment, you have limited cartridge selection, or you have to use multiple slipmats of different thickness, still not accurate.

I found that the non-adjustable VTA on my 1401 is just fine for most cartridges - and I have a lot of 'em. I have yet to encounter one that requires a thinner mat to set the VTA. Most are fine as-is and the rest can be set correctly by using shims between the headshell and cartridge.

John
 
The 1401's platter is 0,2 kg heavier dumped by the mat...the missing vta is balanced by the auto return feature...I should do an A-B comparison..
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom