• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DP80 & DP75 Owner's Thread

Indeed........ Mister Pig has it right. The DP80 is a delightful TT, but there are several others. If I were in your position I would find something with a semi-auto arm (lifts at the end of play). There are any number of excellent TTs from Denon, Sony and others that meet your criteria. I found the ones that I've owned to do an excellent job with some fine cartridges. I still use a Dual 701 and find it be an excellent TT.

Speaking of Duals, when will I see you? Been a while!
 
I can certainly understand the disappointment, I had a long and protracted return of an Amazon table that just got completed. I also ordered a headshell for my Dynavector tone arm that the Post Office appears to have lost at a facility that was 30 miles from my house.

Stay the course, you have your funds back. Order a DP80 from Unisound and you will be fine I believe. You have the plinth builder lined up, you have the necessary arms needed, you got all the hard stuff done. There are enough DP 75 and 80 to choose from out there. Matter of fact there is one of our AKers who happens to have a very nice JVC TT81 in a Mexican Rosewood plinth for sale here on AK BT and USAM. That would be a nice table to choose also.

What you went though is certainly a set back, but you can still move forward. You did not lose your money, so in the end its an inconvenience but not a mortal blow.

Appreciate the encouragement. I've started to pick up and move on, getting the refund that quickly was a nice boost for sure. Just sort of felt like the universe was against this project at times last week! Sorry to hear about your shipping issues. Glad to hear you've wrapped up the Amazon issue and here's to hoping your headshell turns up. :beerchug:

I've purchased a very nice DP-80 from Unisound this morning and have reached out to Acoustand Audio in the UK to begin making my plinth. We're working out the details right now but the general idea will be a single arm version of his Solid Plinth 2 V2 plinth with a bright blue gloss acrylic top and black ash veneer. I think the blue will look very nice with the black/silver design of the DP-80 and the silver high tech look of the AT-1100 arm.

The tonearm mounting system Acoustand has come up with is very impressive. It's a solid machined aluminum puck that slides on rails allowing different pivot to spindle distances.

arm_mount.JPG

I've asked him to drill it with a 21mm pillar hole so it will fit both the AT-1100 arm (20mm pillar) and the other arm I have coming this week a Denon DA-401, which requires the slightly larger 21mm hole. The plan was to sell one of the arms but there's no way I can let the AT-1100 go, I've wanted one for 20 years, I'm in love with it. Also I paid so little for the DA-401 I figure I'll keep it around with my Denon DL-301mkII cart mounted on it for some variety. Will be kind of neat to have an all Denon components option on hand.

I should have the DP-80 in hand by the end of the week if all goes well this time. The plinth will take a couple of months though.

I have a plan cooked up to be able to enjoy the DP-80 while I wait for the plinth to arrive. I won't spill the beans quite yet but it involves my 3D printer and I think it should be a fun project to hold me over while I wait (no I am not planning on 3D printing a plinth!). I'll post some pics of the 3D print project over the next couple of weeks. I think it's going to be pretty neat and I know at least one DP-80 owner here that will like what I'm planning.
 
Appreciate the encouragement. I've started to pick up and move on, getting the refund that quickly was a nice boost for sure. Just sort of felt like the universe was against this project at times last week! Sorry to hear about your shipping issues. Glad to hear you've wrapped up the Amazon issue and here's to hoping your headshell turns up. :beerchug:

I've purchased a very nice DP-80 from Unisound this morning and have reached out to Acoustand Audio in the UK to begin making my plinth. We're working out the details right now but the general idea will be a single arm version of his Solid Plinth 2 V2 plinth with a bright blue gloss acrylic top and black ash veneer. I think the blue will look very nice with the black/silver design of the DP-80 and the silver high tech look of the AT-1100 arm.

The tonearm mounting system Acoustand has come up with is very impressive. It's a solid machined aluminum puck that slides on rails allowing different pivot to spindle distances.

View attachment 2257258

I've asked him to drill it with a 21mm pillar hole so it will fit both the AT-1100 arm (20mm pillar) and the other arm I have coming this week a Denon DA-401, which requires the slightly larger 21mm hole. The plan was to sell one of the arms but there's no way I can let the AT-1100 go, I've wanted one for 20 years, I'm in love with it. Also I paid so little for the DA-401 I figure I'll keep it around with my Denon DL-301mkII cart mounted on it for some variety. Will be kind of neat to have an all Denon components option on hand.

I should have the DP-80 in hand by the end of the week if all goes well this time. The plinth will take a couple of months though.

I have a plan cooked up to be able to enjoy the DP-80 while I wait for the plinth to arrive. I won't spill the beans quite yet but it involves my 3D printer and I think it should be a fun project to hold me over while I wait (no I am not planning on 3D printing a plinth!). I'll post some pics of the 3D print project over the next couple of weeks. I think it's going to be pretty neat and I know at least one DP-80 owner here that will like what I'm planning.

I am glad to hear you are able to move forward. I might end up doing a DP80 myself for a Dynavector tone arm I have. I have an alernate turntable from Scheu I am trying to buy. But guess what its on Audiogon and on Friday I hit buy it. And I have not heard from the seller on how to make payment. It is overseas in Poland, but once again this is starting to go sideways. It seems I am snakebit lately.
 
Indeed........ Mister Pig has it right. The DP80 is a delightful TT, but there are several others. If I were in your position I would find something with a semi-auto arm (lifts at the end of play). There are any number of excellent TTs from Denon, Sony and others that meet your criteria. I found the ones that I've owned to do an excellent job with some fine cartridges. I still use a Dual 701 and find it be an excellent TT.

I've definitely had a good long look at some of the 'L' model Denon tables with the end of side tonearm lift/platter stop functions. Dual is also a great table for sure. The 701 looks like a great model. I really enjoyed a 1229 I had in the past. I gave it to a friend for his wedding/house warming gift and he treasures it to this day. Still going strong without a single issue and sounds fantastic. This time around though I have my heart set on a table that will allow me swap arms around, use a 12in arm if I can find a good deal someday, etc.

While it's not quite as convenient as semi-auto functionality, I'm really looking forward to mounting the new Audio-Techinca AT6006R Safety Raiser I just picked up. I've wanted one of these for so long and they've been kind of rare and expensive when you can find them. When I noticed Audio-Technica had re-released them after 30 years (or more?) of them being out of production I grabbed one right away. It's such a nice, well made product and it works so well, I can't wait to get it setup.

20210613_111004.jpg
 
I am glad to hear you are able to move forward. I might end up doing a DP80 myself for a Dynavector tone arm I have. I have an alernate turntable from Scheu I am trying to buy. But guess what its on Audiogon and on Friday I hit buy it. And I have not heard from the seller on how to make payment. It is overseas in Poland, but once again this is starting to go sideways. It seems I am snakebit lately.

Your Dynavector on a DP-80 would be awesome. Would love to see that one come together. Sorry to hear about the holdup on your Scheu purchase, hopefully they're just away from their computer over the weekend. I had a similar situation (twice) recently trying to buy parts for my DP-80 project from AudioMart. Both sellers completely ignored my messages to them saying I'd like to buy their items. One was a nice DK-300 plinth for the DP-80. Kind of glad that guy never got back to me though, I'm going to be much happier with the Acoustand plinth for not much more money.
 
Hoping someone may be able to provide a measurement for me.

I need to know the distance (in mm if possible) from the center of the spindle to the edge of the silver motor trim ring, along the path to the tone arm pivot point.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
 
That distance is defined by the tonearm not by the DP80. That's the DK-2300 plinth you are showing, but you need to look at the spec's for the TA you are planning to use for the distance. If you don't have that info you can look up most TA data/owner's manuals on the Vinyl Engine website.
 
Sorry......... misunderstood what you are asking for. Unless someone has that exact set-up they won't be able to measure it very accurately.
 
I probably should have used a picture without a tonearm and just said I need a measurement from the center of the spindle to the edge of the silver trim ring, around the 2 o'clock position on the trim ring.
 
Second time was a charm! The order I placed with Unisound could not have gone more smoothly. It arrived in less than a week, double boxed with the platter in its own double box inside the main box, all wrapped in thick bubble wrap, and with transit screws installed. Happy to report it arrived undamaged and it works flawlessly.

First thing out of the box I removed the rotted foam and replaced it with weatherstripping. The residue of the old foam/adhesive was removed with a brown Scotch-Brite pad and Goof Off adhesive remover, worked really well.

6czQuIR.jpg


While I'm waiting a couple of months for my plinth to be made and shipped, I thought I'd try it out plinth-less like MX117 mentioned a few pages back. I 3D printed a tonearm pod and have the DP-80 sitting on some anti-vibration pads. The pod isn't touching the motor, there's about a 1/8in gap, I just didn't manage to show the gap in the picture.

7MKDEWL.jpg


I designed the pod to have internal cavities so I could fill it with lead. The cheapest I could find lead locally was in the form of air rifle pellets so there are 2250 pellets inside the arm pod. It's more than heavy enough to not move around now when I take the arm off the rest and put it back etc.

WyDZOvr.jpg


I can't wait to get the plinth but I'm glad I got this temporary setup going. Both the motor and the arm are a joy to use. I love the solid click of the DP-80 buttons, the instant speed ramp up and the way it slams the brakes on when you hit stop!

And of course, it sounds great, I've been playing albums all night :music::music::music:

eBacRcp.jpg



 
Second time was a charm! The order I placed with Unisound could not have gone more smoothly. It arrived in less than a week, double boxed with the platter in its own double box inside the main box, all wrapped in thick bubble wrap, and with transit screws installed. Happy to report it arrived undamaged and it works flawlessly.

First thing out of the box I removed the rotted foam and replaced it with weatherstripping. The residue of the old foam/adhesive was removed with a brown Scotch-Brite pad and Goof Off adhesive remover, worked really well.

6czQuIR.jpg


While I'm waiting a couple of months for my plinth to be made and shipped, I thought I'd try it out plinth-less like MX117 mentioned a few pages back. I 3D printed a tonearm pod and have the DP-80 sitting on some anti-vibration pads. The pod isn't touching the motor, there's about a 1/8in gap, I just didn't manage to show the gap in the picture.

7MKDEWL.jpg


I designed the pod to have internal cavities so I could fill it with lead. The cheapest I could find lead locally was in the form of air rifle pellets so there are 2250 pellets inside the arm pod. It's more than heavy enough to not move around now when I take the arm off the rest and put it back etc.

WyDZOvr.jpg


I can't wait to get the plinth but I'm glad I got this temporary setup going. Both the motor and the arm are a joy to use. I love the solid click of the DP-80 buttons, the instant speed ramp up and the way it slams the brakes on when you hit stop!

And of course, it sounds great, I've been playing albums all night :music::music::music:

eBacRcp.jpg



I am glad this worked out for you. I have bought a SP10 MK II from Unisound about 5 years ago and the transaction also came off without a hiccup. I am glad you did not give up after the first purchase. I hope you enjoy your new table, the DP80 is a fine piece. If I was not out of room I would grab one from them, I was eying one in the DK300 plinth, but I am just out of room.
 
I am glad this worked out for you. I have bought a SP10 MK II from Unisound about 5 years ago and the transaction also came off without a hiccup. I am glad you did not give up after the first purchase. I hope you enjoy your new table, the DP80 is a fine piece. If I was not out of room I would grab one from them, I was eying one in the DK300 plinth, but I am just out of room.

I was tempted by the one you linked with the DK300 plinth from Unisound, had my finger on the buy it now button more than once! Looks like your new table is going to be awesome, I can't wait to see pics of it all set up when you get it.
 
Second time was a charm! The order I placed with Unisound could not have gone more smoothly. It arrived in less than a week, double boxed with the platter in its own double box inside the main box, all wrapped in thick bubble wrap, and with transit screws installed. Happy to report it arrived undamaged and it works flawlessly.

First thing out of the box I removed the rotted foam and replaced it with weatherstripping. The residue of the old foam/adhesive was removed with a brown Scotch-Brite pad and Goof Off adhesive remover, worked really well.

6czQuIR.jpg


While I'm waiting a couple of months for my plinth to be made and shipped, I thought I'd try it out plinth-less like MX117 mentioned a few pages back. I 3D printed a tonearm pod and have the DP-80 sitting on some anti-vibration pads. The pod isn't touching the motor, there's about a 1/8in gap, I just didn't manage to show the gap in the picture.

7MKDEWL.jpg


I designed the pod to have internal cavities so I could fill it with lead. The cheapest I could find lead locally was in the form of air rifle pellets so there are 2250 pellets inside the arm pod. It's more than heavy enough to not move around now when I take the arm off the rest and put it back etc.

WyDZOvr.jpg


I can't wait to get the plinth but I'm glad I got this temporary setup going. Both the motor and the arm are a joy to use. I love the solid click of the DP-80 buttons, the instant speed ramp up and the way it slams the brakes on when you hit stop!

And of course, it sounds great, I've been playing albums all night :music::music::music:

eBacRcp.jpg



Congrats, that’s a fun and enjoyable project!


VR
Andy
 
A while ago I acquired DP75 in DK 110. When I was considering high end Denon motor I was looking into DP100, DP80 and DP75. I talked to an owner of a second hand store in Tokyo and found out DP 100 was out of my budget and he suggested DP75M because DP75M was sold to audiophile market and the majority of DP75M sold in Japan in pretty decent conditions. At the same time DP80 was made for the commercial market and it is more difficult to find DP80 that was not abused. He also said that DP75 was ted quieter because it had less torque. Finally, DP-75 were sold with DA-402 that in his opinion was second best in Denon line and on par with EPA 100 II for half of the price. Our conversation was interpreted by our corporate agent whose English was pretty poor and who knew nothing about audio so I wander how much was actually lost in translation. In addition there was one DP75 unit in the store and no DP80.

I have not played my DP 75 because I did not have time to re-cap it. I did check ESR and to my surprise it was in spec on every cap and my friend who is electrical engineer and fixes electronics for living suggested that should let them be. Nevertheless Pass guys were recommending to replace caps on every SP10 unit so it should not be different with Dennon DDs and I was planning to start working on it next week and also build CLD plinth for it as I’m not very impressed with Dk110. Yet, yesterday I was offered DP80 in DK2300 plinth with two arms: DA 307 and DA 402. I did not care for DA 307 but DA 402 looked pretty impressive. The motor had problems: the strobe was not working and it was running substantially faster than 33 RPM. As a result I’ve got a bunch of questions.

1. DP 80 was originally roughly 20% more expensive and is posted on Denon museum pages but DP75 is not. Is DP 80 a better table than DP75 or sonically they are almost identical and DP75 is indeed has blacker background?

2. Replacing the strobe is easy but the loss of the speed control indicates potential problem with the logic chip. It is obtainable?

3. I was reading somewhere that DK 2300 is essentially DK 300 with two armboards and that Dk300 is a pretty good table. Is it correct?

4. Does anybody here has experience with DA 402?

5. Where do you get replacement ball bearings and thrust pads?
 
A while ago I acquired DP75 in DK 110. When I was considering high end Denon motor I was looking into DP100, DP80 and DP75. I talked to an owner of a second hand store in Tokyo and found out DP 100 was out of my budget and he suggested DP75M because DP75M was sold to audiophile market and the majority of DP75M sold in Japan in pretty decent conditions. At the same time DP80 was made for the commercial market and it is more difficult to find DP80 that was not abused. He also said that DP75 was ted quieter because it had less torque. Finally, DP-75 were sold with DA-402 that in his opinion was second best in Denon line and on par with EPA 100 II for half of the price. Our conversation was interpreted by our corporate agent whose English was pretty poor and who knew nothing about audio so I wander how much was actually lost in translation. In addition there was one DP75 unit in the store and no DP80.

I have not played my DP 75 because I did not have time to re-cap it. I did check ESR and to my surprise it was in spec on every cap and my friend who is electrical engineer and fixes electronics for living suggested that should let them be. Nevertheless Pass guys were recommending to replace caps on every SP10 unit so it should not be different with Dennon DDs and I was planning to start working on it next week and also build CLD plinth for it as I’m not very impressed with Dk110. Yet, yesterday I was offered DP80 in DK2300 plinth with two arms: DA 307 and DA 402. I did not care for DA 307 but DA 402 looked pretty impressive. The motor had problems: the strobe was not working and it was running substantially faster than 33 RPM. As a result I’ve got a bunch of questions.

1. DP 80 was originally roughly 20% more expensive and is posted on Denon museum pages but DP75 is not. Is DP 80 a better table than DP75 or sonically they are almost identical and DP75 is indeed has blacker background? The 80 was 95,000 yen and the 75 65,000. That is about 32% more. At least in the 1981 catalogue I have. I would find it hard to believe in the height of turntable race one 30% more would be close in specs and quality to the other. I am sure both are great. A new Technics 1200mkii at the time was 75,000.

2. Replacing the strobe is easy but the loss of the speed control indicates potential problem with the logic chip. It is obtainable? I have two 80's and the speed issues turned out to be the caps.

3. I was reading somewhere that DK 2300 is essentially DK 300 with two armboards and that Dk300 is a pretty good table. Is it correct? Yes the plinths are the same with the 2300 having the two arm boards. Both very good heavy plinths.

4. Does anybody here has experience with DA 402? Sorry No. The 401 is a very nice arm.

5. Where do you get replacement ball bearings and thrust pads?Not sure. Somewhere here I posted pictures of me taking the motor completely apart. I just cleaned and greased it.
 
Last edited:
1. DP 80 was originally roughly 20% more expensive and is posted on Denon museum pages but DP75 is not. Is DP 80 a better table than DP75 or sonically they are almost identical and DP75 is indeed has blacker background?

2. Replacing the strobe is easy but the loss of the speed control indicates potential problem with the logic chip. It is obtainable?

3. I was reading somewhere that DK 2300 is essentially DK 300 with two armboards and that Dk300 is a pretty good table. Is it correct?

4. Does anybody here has experience with DA 402?

5. Where do you get replacement ball bearings and thrust pads?
1. Have not compared, so no comment.
2. No idea. Google search of the part # should give you an idea if easily obtainable. Also, search Digi-Key and similar.
3. Yes....... the 2300 is a larger 300. I keep thinking I should get a 2300 to replace my 300.
4. No experience.
5. Where is there a ball bearing in the DP80/75? There is a single thrust ball and pad. Be quite unusual that they would need replacement unless badly abused. Read thru this thread for the various cleaning & lube & other maintenance performed without need to replace the thrust bearing parts. Clean, replacement felt and new oil for the mechanical parts.

Good luck with your choice. Still very happy with mine.
 
Back
Top Bottom