• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DP80 & DP75 Owner's Thread

Thanks to the wealth of nicely shared info, the platter's intermediate foam were indeed badly disintegrated as shown and the platter was way too bouncy since the stock foams are no longer supporting evenly.

Instead of 3/8"x5/16"rectangular weathershield foam nicely shared here, I had this channel type weathershield foam of same 5/16" thickness installed instead. I tightened to "finger tight" for the main 3 screws and just a bit tighter for the other 6 screws and the top platter while moving when depressed, it is damped instead of bouncing which I do not believe to be the case when stock foams were new.

Cheers.

20240127_164953.jpg20240127_181834.jpg20240127_193526.jpg
 
the platter was oxidized and need an hour of elbow grease with 3M maroon fine scotchbrite used for my Titanium bikes ...
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Did you use only the 3M Scotchbrite pad or did you use any liquid polish of any sort?
For the ceramic coating, will you be using one of the automobile finish coatings or something else?
 
Very nice. :thumbsup:
Did you use only the 3M Scotchbrite pad or did you use any liquid polish of any sort?
For the ceramic coating, will you be using one of the automobile finish coatings or something else?
Hi, only maroon 3m scotchbrite 7447 and cleaning off with disinfectant wet wipes intermittently and no liquid polish .. it is of very fine grit used for polishing my titanium bikes. Yes, cheap china automotic finish coating that I used successfully on df-47f switch button that I see many being oxidised and it also alleviate finger prints. Cheers.

Screenshot_20240128-123704_Chrome.jpg1706416697564663641237206257191.jpg17064169186639049354559374734261.jpg
 
Using the same u channel weathershield of 5/18 height to replace the disintegrated foam on the backside of motor to copper metal "drum" since it is what I have .. and it does get depressed and seemingly adequately but not too thick to prevent screwing all back together.

No plan to service the motor/lubrication as replacement of expectedly also disintegrated oil retaining sponge on spindle nicely shared here is beyond me on what to use .. lub felt washers are foreign to me and seems motor running is still very quiet and smooth .. fingercrosses.

Cheers.

PS: Await capacitors and regulators kit from ebay seller and will be taking a look at dk300 plinth and 4 included drilled armboards to plan refurbishment .. current being simply piano black spray paint at local car shop since not a fan of wood

20240128_125233.jpg
 
Last edited:
Had some time this afternoon and more elbow grease with 3M 7447 scotchbrite on hinges and handle and ceramic coated all.

Motivated no doubt by received dustcover that is of excellent condition without any obvious scratches.

Some spotted oxidisation on hinges remains to avoid reaching to base material of different color and decided to keep it stock chrome since seems ok instead of planned black spray painting.

Cheers.

20240128_152846.jpg

20240128_183202.jpg
20240128_184559.jpg20240128_184051.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hi, Any advice what is purpose of the circled hole on the dk300 plinth ?

I am looking for space to mount/house the 35va stepdown transformer and there is little space in this solid plinth with this being the only option for opening this hole to rectangular one to do so.

Cheers.

20240203_134848.jpg20240203_135122.jpg
 
That is for a separate tonearm rest mount clearance.


View attachment 3107197
Hey Miles, Thanks ! But would have tot that such TA mount would rest on the armboard dedicated for TA needing it and not below it to have yet another hole on the armboard and the through hole looks too big for base of the mount ? I may have missed something here ....

Will mod this hole for the needed space for my stepdown transformer then/regardless.

Cheers.
 
Last edited:
Hey Clan, Understand the concern and tks ... will wrap with foils or even steel plates and also with damping materials all round to try out any negative audible effect. Figured out that when playing, the only nearby tonearm tube is quite a few inches away unlike in rest position.

Dislike the idea of separable xformer/psu to this unfortunately 100v only dp80.

Cheers.
 
I was surfing online and discovered a plinth different from the ones Denon made regarding the materials it's constructed. Unfortunately it's pricey IMO.

silver.png

black.png

Here for sale for anyone who's interested.
 
Gorgeous, not seen that one before. Includes a reconditioned DP80 drive, takes a bit of the sting out of the price.
 
You can have mine, with a tonearm, for half that................... That 2900 pounds is expensive to my way of thinking.
 
Last edited:
Gorgeous, not seen that one before. Includes a reconditioned DP80 drive, takes a bit of the sting out of the price.
I saw it when searching for suitable transformer for 230/240v application to my then purchased but pending receipt dp80 and contacted them if they could sell me one as it was mentioned that this is 230/240 capable.

They nicely advised that while confusing, dp80 motor still rely on 100v for some of the electronics e.g. strobe bulb etc. and that it is not simply direct replacement .. guess they had modified some electronics for 230/240v.

I am ok with my usd299 dp80 and dk300 excluding usd100 fedex shipping from Japan to Singapore and usd99 denon DA-50 TA as well as expenses on other planned efforts e.g. piano black automotive paint respraying, mnpctech footers etc. to enjoy the refurbishment process especially found dp80 to be working fine since not on SQ pursue.

Unsure if the inherent/achievable sound quality of dp80 with whatever TA and cartridge to be used is at this almost euro3k level or can better my mint 301 in slate plinth with same sme3012R and Ortofon Royal GM mk2 but believe latter is more desirable by cult fans and has a bit more value if needed to be sold.

Cheers.


Screenshot_20240207-095257_Chrome.jpg
 
...That 2900 pounds is expensive to my way of thinking.

It's euros but still expensive. It's irritating how the hardware gets more expensive along with the vinyl trend. I was checking HifiDo's past sales, in 2022 they were selling the motor for ¥59,800 (375€). In 2002 when CD was the planet's king, the motor went for ¥5000, that's 32€! No matter if the plinth was selling for half or double you could have plinth & motor for less than 100€!

Comparing with other popular tables e.g. the GT-2000, the Denons are still affordable. I got mine (DP80 + DK2300) on the summer of '22 for 500€, the cost of a low end Pro-ject! Also, I've noticed that HifiDo are taking their photos with flash making the tiniest scratches & dust pop. From their photos I wasn't sure if I was going to refinish the plinth but when I saw it in person I realized it was in mint condition. I think the online photos usually don't do the stock plinths justice, I had all sorts of plans in my head about refinishing but when I saw the plinth I liked it as it was. Now that the armboards have been restored it's classy & beautiful.
 
I was surfing online and discovered a plinth different from the ones Denon made regarding the materials it's constructed. Unfortunately it's pricey IMO.

View attachment 3110635

View attachment 3110636

Here for sale for anyone who's interested.
For me, I would love to have
It's euros but still expensive. It's irritating how the hardware gets more expensive along with the vinyl trend. I was checking HifiDo's past sales, in 2022 they were selling the motor for ¥59,800 (375€). In 2002 when CD was the planet's king, the motor went for ¥5000, that's 32€! No matter if the plinth was selling for half or double you could have plinth & motor for less than 100€!
Incredible to know used dp-80 motor selling for yen5000 some 20 yrs ago but indeed was looking for a TA for my usd299 DP80/DK300 and found none of the usual recommended Victor UA-7082, MA-505, Dynavector 505 etc. to go with the commensurate $ ... ended up with a DA-50 at usd99 in excellent condition without a scratch or any oxidisation and will probably use this setup with a DL-80 with new NOS stylus bought for the DP-47f at also high price of usd100.

Will also recap with usd25 kit from ebay by local technician for usd70 but major cost on this DP-80 journey will be to have automotive paint and plastic primer respray to piano black for the dk300 with already cracked veener .. not keen on wooden looking plinth .. for me.

Not aware of local technicians being able to handle major repair of DP-80 to end up as paper weight and need to be prudent on $ spend after retirement 3 yrs ago especially this journey being a hobbist project and not on no end pursue of sound quality. Nevertheless, it will be fun for the "little" $ to compare sound quality to my memory of garrard 301, sme 3012R (too long for dk300) and ortofon Royal GM mk2 memory now packed in my store room .. may just mount available silver sme iv but think it will look kind of weird on the DP-80/DK-300 even in piano black.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20240208-071535_Drive.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom