• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DP80 & DP75 Owner's Thread

Hi, only maroon 3m scotchbrite 7447 and cleaning off with disinfectant wet wipes intermittently and no liquid polish .. it is of very fine grit used for polishing my titanium bikes. Yes, cheap china automotic finish coating that I used successfully on df-47f switch button that I see many being oxidised and it also alleviate finger prints. Cheers.
I am not familiar with the ceramic coating process, but I do have several corroded Japanese DD turntables. Is the coating difficult to apply? What it the process?
 
Its a surface mount design so incompatible with the cover, cables hang over the back of the plinth.
Well............... when I think about a tonearm fitting on a plinth I'm thinking it fits with the stock dustcover. But, perhaps that's just me.
 
Last edited:
I am using a different 12" arm, but it has identical pivot to spindle specification. Why do you think its too long?
Hi Legrace, as I am sticking to the accompanying dk300 bought to avoid more $ spent, my understanding is that unlike 12" DA-308 that is actually 11.1", sme and some are true 12" and the dustcover will not closed up.

Will be most glad if advised otherwise.

Cheers.
 
I am not familiar with the ceramic coating process, but I do have several corroded Japanese DD turntables. Is the coating difficult to apply? What it the process?
Hi Belyin, after polishing off the oxidisation and wipe down with disinfectant wipe or any iso alcohol, it is just a light wipe down of the accompanying specially designed applicator (sponge top layer and hard foam bottom) and wait for 48hrs to be cured .. full curing may that a few weeks but fine to touch.

When wiping down the ceramic coating, it will be smooth and even but if there are any area missed or uneven (check at angle with some light or in daylight) since transparent and a quick touchup will make it perfect .. use enough of the coating and hard to go wrong.

Cheers.
 
Bought the DA-50 tonearm and looking at good condition UA-5045 at usd100 but aware of bad rubber damping material which I may not be able to repair... still not sure why the other available sme IV tonearm is hardly used with dp80 and without users' shared experiences in all forums :(
 
Well............... when I think about a tonearm fitting on a plinth I'm thinking it fits with the stock dustcover. But, perhaps that's just me.
In my case, physically the cover clears the arm. I could introduce a small clearance hole into the armboard to allow the cables to pass through the plinth, versus draped over the back. But I'm with the crowd who prefer a coverless asthetic, so it's perfectly fine as is. The Dual you will note is also sans cover. I cannot vouch that every 12" arm will fit, but I suspect many should.
 
Last edited:
Bought the DA-50 tonearm and looking at good condition UA-5045 at usd100 but aware of bad rubber damping material which I may not be able to repair... still not sure why the other available sme IV tonearm is hardly used with dp80 and without users' shared experiences in all forums :(
Bought the excellent looking UA-5045 TA with cable san headshell ... <usd100 hard to pass and having 4 accompanying armboards with the received dp-80/dk-300 has its temptations.

Hope the NOS unused AV-101S bought decade ago will work or the PLC-3 and PCL-7 that came with the DA-50 do so.

Cheers

Screenshot_20240209-211352_Chrome.jpg
 
Hi Belyin, after polishing off the oxidisation and wipe down with disinfectant wipe or any iso alcohol, it is just a light wipe down of the accompanying specially designed applicator (sponge top layer and hard foam bottom) and wait for 48hrs to be cured .. full curing may that a few weeks but fine to touch.

When wiping down the ceramic coating, it will be smooth and even but if there are any area missed or uneven (check at angle with some light or in daylight) since transparent and a quick touchup will make it perfect .. use enough of the coating and hard to go wrong.

Cheers.

Thanks so much for the info. I have a Victor TT-101 that could really use this treatment. Now to see if I can rub out the corrosion . . .
 
Thanks so much for the info. I have a Victor TT-101 that could really use this treatment. Now to see if I can rub out the corrosion . . .
Most welcome ! Do take care to try polishing at less conspicious place when even using fine grit 3M maroon scotchbrite .. just in case it is anodised else the finishing will be damaged and wun look any better.

The platter edge of dp-80 is not anodised and already brushed finished for the similar fine grit 3M maroon scotchbrite and hence looks new after polishing.

Cheers.
 
Last edited:
Acquired a new Denon cartridge for my Denon. Recently took delivery on a Denon DL-H5LC LOMC cartridge. According to online data stlyus is a diminutive 0.1 x 0.2 mm. Anyone ever stumble across one of these before?
 
Recap 18 pcs and new 6 regulators of dp-80 motor from nice ebay seller completed with new blue button leds as usual and super cleaned strobe display as well as recommended deoxit of speed potentiometer ... to work on dk300 plinth next

Screenshot_20240217-151316_Signal.jpgIMG-20240217-WA0035.jpgIMG-20240217-WA0034.jpgIMG-20240217-WA0033.jpgIMG-20240217-WA0032.jpg
 
Recap 18 pcs and new 6 regulators of dp-80 motor from nice ebay seller completed with new blue button leds as usual and super cleaned strobe display as well as recommended deoxit of speed potentiometer ... to work on dk300 plinth next

View attachment 3121317View attachment 3121318View attachment 3121319View attachment 3121320View attachment 3121321

Bad news :(

Installed the platter and found that motor is running at high speed i.e. not locked and electronic brake is not working when stop button is pressed. Checked the platter on its inner brown magnetic strip to be in perfect condition and adjusted magnetic head gap with both biz card and A4 paper as googled on such issue but to no avail.

While Japan seller reportedly was using it without problem after being serviced prior year, I had stupidly not checked with platter mounted when received and only noted the spindle was moving.

Will disassemble tmrw to check on any wrongly soldered capacitor, poor soldering etc. Any idea on fix(es) to try out as this is certainly being me without knowledge nor equipment to diagnose ?

Any contact for repair at worst case as I do not believe there is anyone in Singapore who can do so ? TIA.Screenshot_20240218-022310_WhatsApp.jpg
 
Last edited:
Try to clean and adjust VR1 and VR2. If that does not work and the magnetic gap is still good, an index card is the perfect thickness, you will need a recap. If recap does not work, one or more of the transisters could be bad. I had all these issues with the three I have.
Hi Mark, Did you encounter motor running in crazily high speed and pressing stop button seems to have electronic braking not working like what I am experiencing now as shared above and adjusting VR1 and VR2 solves such issues ?

Kindly note that recap also already included changing out 6 transistors per kit from ebay seller.

Thanks and cheers.
 
Back
Top Bottom