• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Denon DRA-750 What on earth is "SSS"?

gsauther

New Member
Hi,
I just picked up a 1984 Denon DRA-750 receiver. There is an "SSS" On/Off button and a "SSS" control knob. I'm guessing this means Surround Sound Simulation????

Anybody know what it really means?

GMan
 
Register to hide this ad
Nothing to do with surround sound. It is Denon's "super searcher system" in the tuner section. I have never seen official Denon operation manual on this, but it appears that with high interference signal, you can turn on sss switch, push out sss control knob and adjust for minimum noise, and then push it in for signal strength indication. When the sss light on the right side of signal strength meter is green, it means good signal to noise ratio. Just my wild wild guess.
 
Thanks Ultrlac

I did some experimenting and I think you're exactly right about what it is and how it functions. The name (super searcher system) sure could use some work!:headscrat
 
I am guessing that SSS is a "multi-path" adjustment. With FM broadcasting there is a straight signal path from the station to the antenna of your receiver. There will also be signals from the same station that are bounced off of buildings or other large objects. They will arrive later than the direct signal. There may be several of them. Your receiver may have trouble discriminating and finding the best signal. The signals arriving are essentially on multiple paths. The SSS would make an adjustment that might improve the clarity of the sound by homing in on one signal. It might not have much effect in some situations; but could be a dramatic improvement in others.
 
Back
Top Bottom