• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Despicable state of kids today - Video

I disagree that it has been happening for generations. I am now 60 years old but I can assure you that even the worst behaved kids that I went to school with, present company included :rolleyes: , would ever think of treating an adult the way these kids did. There was always a certain amount of respect and consideration that adults, all adults, were given. Kids would pick on and bully other kids, sure, but even then there were limits. As cruel as kids were to each other, there were assumed consequences for crossing the line with an adult. Mouthing off is one thing, doing what these kids is way, way beyond that.

The BS that Barney and Friends injected into kids heads was reinforced by their parents and those same parents forced the schools to do their job of raising their kids while not allowing them to so much as hurt their feelings much less paddle their ass when they so obviously deserved it. And now we get to see the results. :sigh:

Can we agree that maybe this happened on one school bus per generation? After all what we have here is one school bus on one school day. I'm not convinced that it is representative of an epidemic.

Where I do harbor concern is in areas that others have mentioned, namely that in the USA power over another may be oversold as a virtue or false representation of inner strength.

I was no saint either. :D
 
Where I do harbor concern is in areas that others have mentioned, namely that in the USA power over another may be oversold as a virtue or false representation of inner strength.

You mean that teaching kids that everybody has feelings and to respect each other on a human level is perhaps more positive than teaching that they should primarily behave to avoid a beating?

(even not, I get where you are coming from +1 on that)

There are some like this in every bunch. It is not the fault of the year they were born, or the decade in which they grew up, but in the individual and the way their parents raised them...and there are always exceptions. if this was the last day of school it explains a lot, kids will do a lot of stuff they normally wouldn't do if they think they can get away with it.

I wasn't the best kid in the world either...got soap in my mouth a couple times to be sure:yes:
 
That was a horribly mangled attempt at a "joke". The first sentence was just a jest at how "everything was better when I was a kid" thing goes, and the second was actually just a fond memory. I uh...should've edited/proofread that a bit better :o

Haha, the best part is I was actually making a horrible joke as well.
 
Last edited:
The only good thing I saw was that viewers disliked the video 10:1. It would be more comforting if the ratio was orders of magnitude higher but then again it probably would be if the viewing audience was primarily adults, which I suspect it is not.

Viewers have been voting "Like" in order to keep it on YouTube. There's a notion going around that YouTube will "pull" a video if the ratio/dislike count gets too high.
 
In regards to the fine folks here saying, "...it has always been like this..." I couldn't diasgree more. I was no Angel when I was a kid, but I always knew where to draw the line, I don't recall ever hearing of this sort of behavior.

The fault falls squarely on the lack of parental guidance in today's culture, and that includes the sensationalism of social media. IMO, of course...:D
 
In regards to the fine folks here saying, "...it has always been like this..." I couldn't diasgree more. I was no Angel when I was a kid, but I always knew where to draw the line, I don't recall ever hearing of this sort of behavior.

The fault falls squarely on the lack of parental guidance in today's culture, and that includes the sensationalism of social media. IMO, of course...:D
Agreed- and I might add the child protection overreaction this society seems to love to do (which has been stated previously) along with the news media. Even when they try to assuage fears, they somehow fan the flames.

Kids learn that and some feel they can do the sort of thing in the vid without reproach. What else explains the gall of the kid with the vid to post? And no, it is not the same as laughing at the malt shop- this is permanent. That kid knew there'd be no consequence (learned behavior). I hope that there will be if it has hit the local area news.
 
What else explains the gall of the kid with the vid to post? And no, it is not the same as laughing at the malt shop- this is permanent.

Again, you cannot state that a kid from a previous generation would not do such behavior had they had access to the technology.
 
Again, you cannot state that a kid from a previous generation would not do such behavior had they had access to the technology.

True, but I can't help but wonder if this woman doesn't have all sorts of legal options against the participants, the poster, and the school district for this bullying. By using this technology, they have basically humiliated this woman (and convicted themselves) with irrefutable evidence on a global basis.

Laws have been passed against this stuff recently, and while I think they are hopelessly silly and weenie as this has been going on for eons, it seems to me that she could open a giant can of Whoop Ass on a lot of people here.

Sue the bastards (and their parents) back to the stone ages...:yes:
 
Kids learn by example. Period. Always has been, always will.

Kids in the past may have had the tendencies, but the thought of a good ass whoopin' usually kept them in check. That fear is gone these days in most kids. Sad.
 
. . . Sue the bastards (and their parents) back to the stone ages...:yes:

Sue for what damages?

All a court can do in this case is award money damages. She didn't quit her job. She didn't lose her job. She certainly didn't lose her yearbook promotion income.

How was she harmed and how could government interaction, i.e. a court, provide a remedy?

I appreciate the sympathy for her situation, but on the other hand if society rewards her with cash then society also creates a financial incentive to be a victim. People will milk that incentive.

I'm just playing online devil's advocate along the same lines as tybrad plays online physics prof.
 
Kids learn by example. Period. Always has been, always will.

Kids in the past may have had the tendencies, but the thought of a good ass whoopin' usually kept them in check. That fear is gone these days in most kids. Sad.

That pretty much sums up what I think most of us have been thinking. You need that little bit of intimidation, to keep kids in line. Hopefully, just the idea that they "might" get an arsewhuppin', would keep most bad behaviour from ever actually happening. :scratch2:
 
This (trailer) documentary on bullying got me to thinking: what if we were to successfully impart the wisdom that we have, as grown adults, on children?

Not all the wisdom we've been so lucky to gain since we were their age, but just that maturity and wisdom relevant to bullying- and the eradication of inexcusable behavior that we saw an example of earlier today?
 
Kids learn by example. Period. Always has been, always will.

Kids in the past may have had the tendencies, but the thought of a good ass whoopin' usually kept them in check. That fear is gone these days in most kids. Sad.


My parents kept me in line without ever having to raise a hand.
Respecting others was ingrained at an early age. :thmbsp:


Steve
 
Sue for what damages?

All a court can do in this case is award money damages. She didn't quit her job. She didn't lose her job. She certainly didn't lose her yearbook promotion income.

How was she harmed and how could government interaction, i.e. a court, provide a remedy?

I appreciate the sympathy for her situation, but on the other hand if society rewards her with cash then society also creates a financial incentive to be a victim. People will milk that incentive.

I'm just playing online devil's advocate along the same lines as tybrad plays online physics prof.

I don't know, but I'd sure see counsel, show them the video, the hits (131,887 at last count) and see what they thought. There certainly is some basis for public humiliation here. I didn't find any current anti-bullying laws in NY though. And while I can't quote any precedents right now, I'm certain there have been other instances like this. I know that girl who walked into the mall fountain was pursuing some sort or recourse against the mall as I saw her on some talk show.

FWIW, a letter from a legal firm certainly would liven up a lot of homes and offices in that school district though...:yes:
 
I don't know, but I'd sure see counsel . . .

I am counsel and my gut reaction is to pass. Bus monitors take **** from kids. It comes with the job; particularly on the last day of school.

Even if the video made it in front of a jury it does no good. There are several moments where the bus monitor played along in upping the ante. A good defense attorney would paint her as playing a game of your momma and trying to cash in for losing.

Lawyers play hardball.
 
I didn't find any current anti-bullying laws in NY though.

Dang, that's one place where you'd think they really NEED it, too. Meaning with the overcrowding, and all the immigrants who "might" need a re-education on what's considered proper behaviour. :scratch2: In other words, what most of us consider to be common-sense knowledge, isn't necessarily so, and it ALL ought to be written as law, so people don't have any excuses for not behaving in a civilized manner. :yes:
 
I am counsel and my gut reaction is to pass.
I know and if that's your opinion, I guess I've found out what I needed to know

Lawyers play hardball.

Agreed, that's why I'd run it by one...
People bitch about them all the time, until they need one and see what they can do for you.
 
Dang, that's one place where you'd think they really NEED it, too. Meaning with the overcrowding, and all the immigrants who "might" need a re-education on what's considered proper behaviour. :scratch2: In other words, what most of us consider to be common-sense knowledge, isn't necessarily so, and it ALL ought to be written as law, so people don't have any excuses for not behaving in a civilized manner. :yes:

There seems to be pending legislation and it's being touted as being "the most comprehensive" or something like that, so it looks like you're on the money.
It's just too early now.
 
Back
Top Bottom