• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Do you wear shorts under your long johns?

Do you wear your normal shorts\boxers\briefs UNDER your long johns?

  • Yes, normal shorts still included

    Votes: 27 67.5%
  • No, Long Johns are underwear.

    Votes: 13 32.5%

  • Total voters
    40
Oh yea, I get lazy and don't tuck in my shirt, LJs will ride down and I'll get snow in my back. I wear LJs and regular Carhart Pants most of the time and stay pretty toasty, the Carharts are so dense that it has to be really cold. Carhart started making snow pants and I picked up a pair, those are pretty nice grinding through snow piles looking for dead wood.
 
Anyone tried the Duluth Trading firehose bibs? I have them and use them for winter wear and cold weather riding.
Also recommend FTL Everlight BBs for underwear comfort under whatever, very close to nothing while keeping things organized in place.

I think that's important - someone else mentioned good support to keep things organized, and damn ain't it a bitch if yer ballsack gets pinched and it's so many layers down you can't hardly get it loose!
I have seen the Duluth bibs, and in fact the coldest place I'VE EVER BEEN was Duluth in the winter of '82 (83?). The mild wind (sarcasm) off the lake is not to be taken lightly.
My favorite thermal underwear is Duofold - it's a thin inner cotton layer with a wool outter layer, those f'ers will keep ya warm.
 
Yes it saves time. Indoors I don't need 'em but if I have to step outside into the elements I just pull the thermals over my drawers. I hate being cold. If it's really cold out it's just another layer insulating my nether regions.
 
Anyone tried the Duluth Trading firehose bibs? I have them and use them for winter wear and cold weather riding.
Also recommend FTL Everlight BBs for underwear comfort under whatever, very close to nothing while keeping things organized in place.
Not bibs, but I have a pair of Duluthflex Firehose pants with fleece lining. Very warm and comfortable. For warmer weather, I also have a couple of pairs of Firehose Flex Dry On The Fly (lightweight) cargo/tactical pants. Great comfort factor....I like Duluth`s stuff.
My favorite first layer is a Winter Silk 100% pure silk turtleneck....super thin and lightweight, but absolutely the nicest thing you can put next to your skin.
 
Last edited:
Yes it saves time. Indoors I don't need 'em but if I have to step outside into the elements I just pull the thermals over my drawers. I hate being cold. If it's really cold out it's just another layer insulating my nether regions.
Same on hating to be cold. I have significant orthopedic issues and when I get cold, it hurts and it's mainly my back that suffers.
 
The struggle is real.
Being a tall slim young man it was hard in those days finding long johns that fit right. Regular sizes were too short in the leg necessitating over-the-calf socks so your thermals wouldn't pull out of your socks. As a kid we considered long johns something only old men wore. When my father made me put some on and I stepped out into the cold I way like heyyy, pop's on to something here :thumbsup::rockon:
Back then it was hard to find tall sizes in department stores. Nowadays it's no longer a problem. I also like how there are different "weights" available.
 
I worked for many years on the fight line in the winter.
It was 100% silk pj's and of course briefs under them.
Silk socks and then 100% wool over them.

Then uniform and insulated coveralls. If really bad parka and vest.

Leather gloves with wool liners, or Thinsulate.

It is all about the layers and not to tight fit.
 
Yes to shorts under LJ's. All my life I have always been cold (poor circulation) and often my hands are blue and cold if it gets much below 70F, and it's gotten worse since my stroke in 2013. I'd wear 3 pairs of long johns if I thought I could still move. Two years ago when my golf course opened up in the spring the first round of the year was a brisk high 30's to low 40'sF morning. My long time golf buddy was there wearing his usual golf shorts and I looked at him and said are you effing crazy, I've got pants and long johns on. He says he'd rather be a bit cold than golf in long pants. I've known the guy for about 6 years and I've only seen him once wearing long pants and that was about a week ago when it was 10F here. I guess some people have a different metabolism, I wish some of that would rub off on me, I'm sick of freezing all the time, please bring on spring already. :(
 
Yes to shorts under LJ's. All my life I have always been cold (poor circulation) and often my hands are blue and cold if it gets much below 70F, and it's gotten worse since my stroke in 2013. ...
I'm sick of freezing all the time, please bring on spring already. :(
Daylight saving's time is only a month away. Can Spring be far behind? (I hope I hope) On a side note being of slim build (AKA skinny) I've learned that I can not wear tight fitting gloves and keep my hands warm. Loose gloves=blood circulating=warm hands.
 
I ran a quick plot of a few outside air temp sensors I have access to here in Des Moines, Ia.
I use a crazy long monitor, lets see if this image pastes well. (EDIT, nope the image was sized way down)
It's month to date, 3 temp sensors.
upload_2021-2-14_11-28-5.png
 
A number of the guys are work said the same - they've stopped wearing long johns in favor of the new-er Carhart bibs\cover-alls.
They were telling me my Carharts 20+ years old aren't up to snuff, they say new Carharts are superior.
Of course! 20-yr-old carhartts are about worn out by now., like the jacket I have, which is a tattered ruin, but still functional-sort of.
 
Back
Top Bottom