• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Dual 1009

This Dual 1009 is just so nice looking and mint that I'm tempted to buy it but asking price is $170.

I can listen to it anytime to check it out.

I'm thinking for $170 I can get newer and better but this Dual is a beautiful piece in mint condition with original cartridge that will probably need to be replaced.

Currently using an Onkyo CP-1026 with Empire cartridge that I bought for $40 just to see if I wanted to have vinyl again.

Thanks in advance for input!

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG
 
Last edited:
It is pretty. I'd try to talk them down some, but yeah, if it's in good shape, I'd grab it. What's the cart on it? A piece of history it is, and for the price you won't get "newer and better".
 
Looks nice. Plinth and cover side panels need some oil - looks dry.
Really depends on the cart though. If it is a decent one you should be good to go since you can just get a replacement stylus.
 
Thank you very much for your input!

I'm going to give it another look and ask the seller to play it.
I know him and have bought from him before.
 
The first 1009 is a sleeper! I remember the first one I fixed up. Put it in my bedroom. Put on a Frank Sinatra Lp. Sounded like Frank was at the foot of my bed singing away! I have fixed up a lot of these. Though they lack antiskate and a cue, I would never turn one down. I start Dual's on automatic anyway and end a record early with auto. The platter is very heavy. Speed is dead on. The headshells are decent too! Not like the later 1000 series Dual's. Your sample has the German built Dual base and cover. They are well made. Not like the crappy one used by the U.S. distributor United Audio. Built my Dual 1219 pictured in my avatar <<<<, around a Dual base. At $120, it's a deal. I run Shures on all my Dual's. A nice Shure M44 sounds sweet on a 1009. Once tuned up..regreased, and clean and lubricating the motor, they will run a long time! Get it. My two cents
 
I tried to buy it yesterday but the seller was listening to it and changed his mind about selling it!
Sometimes you just need to take action and not hesitate or miss the opportunity.

Thanks for the input.


IMG_2445.JPG
 
Any Dual you come across is worth fixing up. The Dual turntable was just one of Germany's finest product. Their precision of excellence is on par with Swiss products. The Duals are well made turntables, they are built like a tank, and they will last forever. To those who are thinking about a vintage turntable, the Dual should be high on your list. You have a choice of belt drive, idler drive, and direct drive, and no matter the choice you make, the Dual's performance is the epitome of the highest quality of hand built craftsmanship that defines the company's reputation.

I have two, a 721 direct drive and 1219 idler drive and I love both.
 
Any Dual you come across is worth fixing up. The Dual turntable was just one of Germany's finest product. Their precision of excellence is on par with Swiss products. The Duals are well made turntables, they are built like a tank, and they will last forever. To those who are thinking about a vintage turntable, the Dual should be high on your list. You have a choice of belt drive, idler drive, and direct drive, and no matter the choice you make, the Dual's performance is the epitome of the highest quality of hand built craftsmanship that defines the company's reputation.

I have two, a 721 direct drive and 1219 idler drive and I love both.

Man this one is perfect!
It's the TT that I want and I'm done.
I'm thinking he may change his mind but wants more $$, not sure yet
 
Any Dual you come across is worth fixing up. The Dual turntable was just one of Germany's finest product. Their precision of excellence is on par with Swiss products. The Duals are well made turntables, they are built like a tank, and they will last forever. To those who are thinking about a vintage turntable, the Dual should be high on your list. You have a choice of belt drive, idler drive, and direct drive, and no matter the choice you make, the Dual's performance is the epitome of the highest quality of hand built craftsmanship that defines the company's reputation.

I have two, a 721 direct drive and 1219 idler drive and I love both.

.....except for the shitty bearing assemblies. The 1009 and 1019 have cheap stamped steel cradles, the 1219 and 1229 are cast and machined, much better in my opinion. A lot of the later belt drive units have plastic bearing assemblies.
 
.....except for the shitty bearing assemblies. The 1009 and 1019 have cheap stamped steel cradles, the 1219 and 1229 are cast and machined, much better in my opinion. A lot of the later belt drive units have plastic bearing assemblies.

That is good to know.
I really don't know much about TT's so the input is really appreciated.

I'm using a decent Onkyo now until I find what I'm looking for.

I know that I want a Dual so I'll keep an eye out, thanks.
 
.....except for the shitty bearing assemblies. The 1009 and 1019 have cheap stamped steel cradles, the 1219 and 1229 are cast and machined, much better in my opinion. A lot of the later belt drive units have plastic bearing assemblies.

The 12X9 series was the best tables Dual ever produced.
 
That is good to know.
I really don't know much about TT's so the input is really appreciated.

I'm using a decent Onkyo now until I find what I'm looking for.

I know that I want a Dual so I'll keep an eye out, thanks.

Although what I stated is true, take it with a grain of salt. The 1009 and 1019 are superbly built turntables and should not be discounted based on a single component such as the spindle bearing.

I was responding to a post that I perceived as an uninformed generalization.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom