• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ebay Do Not Buy From List

Didn't realize the seller of my item was from Texas till it was too late. Was hoping to have a Texas AK'er pick mine up but no luck. Baytown must be one helluva Hell hole.. I swear NEVER again. To make matters worse this guys name is Hicks !!!!! :thumbsdn:
 
I was going to reply to this earlier with basicaly the same thing Grumps said, but since it has been brought up here so many times, I figured I would let someone else just post the response.
Although we are talking about buying audio items and many of us at AK look out for one another, I personaly wouldn't like to see a list here of bad sellers.
Who is to say at what point a seller is "bad". There are two sides to every story and if someone has a bad experience with a seller, it may not mean they are a bad seller.
I don't see anything wrong with mentioning a Really bad seller and warning people (like the infamous Mr. V), but a list is a bad idea.

I also don't think Epay needs to do anything either. All a buyer has to do is look at the feedback and judge for themselves. Not saying a seller with 100% feedback can't screw you, but READ before you buy. if a seller has a history of screwing people, don't buy from them.

It goes the other way too. There are probably just as many bad buyers as there are sellers. If I see a buyer with a history of really screwing people, I cancel his bids and block him. I don't have time for games.
 
grumpy said:
5 bucks a month and you too can be the owner of a "bad ebayers" list. I nominate both Rock and Roll an Fropiler to put their names on the contract..

Well, we're here saying what we're saying about ebay anyway aren't we, What's the difference? I'm only suggesting we have one place to put it all (like a forum).

So then when someone posts an ebay related topic in the Exclusively Sansui forum, the moderator over there gets to say "Hey man, post this stuff in the appropriate forum".

:D

No big deal either way, as I thinks most regulars see everthing that comes through regardless of the forum. (new posts).

I want to clarify that I'm talking about ALL things ebay, not just a list of the bad.
 
Last edited:
Ebay sux!! That's why I just rather buy right here from home "AK"! There's probably a few here I wouldn't want to deal with, but I feel a hell of a lot safer buying or selling here. :D
 
fropiler said:
Well, we're here saying what we're saying about ebay anyway aren't we, What's the difference? I'm only suggesting we have one place to put it all (like a forum).

So then when someone posts an ebay related topic in the Exclusively Sansui forum, the moderator over there gets to say "Hey man, post this stuff in the appropriate forum".

:D

No big deal either way, as I thinks most regulars see everthing that comes through regardless of the forum. (new posts).


No, I don't think you get it. We're not worried about discussing, and getting sued by eBay itself. We're worried about posting individuals names and getting sued by those individuals AND eBay for posting their names. If it's true, anybody who wants can discuss their personal experience on eBay, but bring another eBay member into the the fray and look out!


Retro
 
fropiler said:
Well, we're here saying what we're saying about ebay anyway aren't we, What's the difference? I'm only suggesting we have one place to put it all (like a forum).

We are talking about bad sellers, but not posting a list of names that someone in "their" own opinion is a bad seller, except in extreme cases like whats his face. Hell, that guy has hate websites about him anyway.

Point is, in this sue happy country of ours, all it takes is one seller who gets his name posted here to F everything up for all of us.
 
I do "get it"

Retro Stereo said:
No, I don't think you get it. We're not worried about discussing, and getting sued by eBay itself. We're worried about posting individuals names and getting sued by those individuals AND eBay for posting their names. If it's true, anybody who wants can discuss their personal experience on eBay, but bring another eBay member into the the fray and look out!


Retro

Are we not discussing specific buyers and sellers already? are we not capable figuring out who those people are? do we not already place links to auctions that we are referring to? do we not already share in detail the nature of our experiences both good and bad?

What I am failing to get across here is that I'm not talking about changing the content here on AK, only organizing it into one place. Based on the premise of being sued, we all better shut up about ebay right now, because it's all here for the world to see anyway. I never said I wanted to post personal or contact information here on AK. Nothing more than what we ALREADY discuss.
 
It appears this post hit a nerve.I did not post this to harm AK in any way and did not imply that we slander anyone.Ebay feedback is public knowledge and therefore we would not be listing anything not of public domain.I am a businessman and as such i know that lawsuits (just or unjust are always a possibility) are very expensive to defend.I was just blowing off some steam here after having one ebay seller not ship and take my money and another send me a nasty email after i asked a simple question about his auction.This thread is devoted to blowing off some steam. Jim
 
fropiler said:
Are we not discussing specific buyers and sellers already? are we not capable figuring out who those people are? do we not already place links to auctions that we are referring to? do we not already share in detail the nature of our experiences both good and bad?

What I am failing to get across here is that I'm not talking about changing the content here on AK, only organizing it into one place. Based on the premise of being sued, we all better shut up about ebay right now, because it's all here for the world to see anyway. I never said I wanted to post personal or contact information here on AK. Nothing more than what we ALREADY discuss.


Ummmm, no, I haven't posted a bad eBay experience using the auction link ever here on AK, or mentioned any bad eBay user ID's. Sure, I've discussed bad eBay transactions without using the the link or the seller's ID, but that's completely different. There is absolutely no public way to warn someone of a bad eBay seller here at AK without the possibility of getting sued!!! That's it in a nutshell. Like I said though, if YOU want to start a website to point out bad eBay members for us, I'll back YOU 100% in doing that.



Retro
 
I have, however, posted auction links for good eBay transactions and am not too worried about legal action from someone, or eBay for that matter, for saying that things worked out. Just so you know, there have been lawsuits filed from eBay members against other eBay members for leaving unwarranted negative feedback and ruining a sellers reputation. The dollar amount awarded is usually what the seller has lost, or may lose in future sales, due to the negative feedback. No chit!!!


Retro
 
Last edited:
jimbecky48001 said:
It appears this post hit a nerve.I did not post this to harm AK in any way and did not imply that we slander anyone.Ebay feedback is public knowledge and therefore we would not be listing anything not of public domain.I am a businessman and as such i know that lawsuits (just or unjust are always a possibility) are very expensive to defend.I was just blowing off some steam here after having one ebay seller not ship and take my money and another send me a nasty email after i asked a simple question about his auction.This thread is devoted to blowing off some steam. Jim


Hey Jim,
Don't worry about it. This has been brought up a few times before and it's good to get it debated, yes debated, no nerves hit here. You're are correct in that eBay feedback is open for public viewing at the eBay site, but it has been my experience, and a few other people's experience from other sites, that posting an eBay link and berating an eBay member on a site other than eBay's, can be very bad for the person doing it. It's no different than someone saying a bunch of garbage about someone in the newspaper without any real proof, you know, my word against his, and if that happens, you could have a defamation suit slapped on you very quick. eBay, with PayPal, is a very large corporation now and bad mouthing one of it's members may not go un-noticed. Just my $.02


Retr
 
Retro Stereo said:
Ummmm, no, I haven't posted a bad eBay experience using the auction link ever here on AK, or mentioned any bad eBay user ID's. Sure, I've discussed bad eBay transactions without using the the link or the seller's ID, but that's completely different. There is absolutely no public way to warn someone of a bad eBay seller here at AK without the possibility of getting sued!!! That's it in a nutshell. Like I said though, if YOU want to start a website to point out bad eBay members for us, I'll back YOU 100% in doing that.



Retro

It has been a while since I have failed so completely to get a point across.

Just because YOU haven't discussed an ebay experience in detail doesn't mean 20 other people haven't, THEY HAVE. Myself included, and at least one moderator is currently engaged in such risky behavior. If I understand what you are saying, then AK is already at risk of this type of lawsuit every day.

I'm done with this, as it seems you are more interested in winning the argument than actually hearing what I'm trying to say. Did I ever say I wanted to start a website to point out bad ebay members? NO, I didn't. I said it would be nice for AK to have an ebay forum to encompass ALL things ebay, I don't know how to be any clearer than that. (and yes, I will stop trying now).
 
Would a forum that listed sellers tend to get more search hits than what we do know? OT his Vladness, sellers rarely, if ever get mentioned by name. Most of us don't even use the same name, on eBay, as here. Most of us know who to search for, to see what auction someone is talking about. The search engine, or subject of discussion is less likely to be able to do so. That may be what has saved us, so far. Changing that could increase liability. Just my .02
 
There is a BIG difference between posting a thread that mentions a problem seller and a compiled list of bad sellers.
Again, who will judge whether the seller is truly bad or not?

Many times on AK we see people slam what they think is a bad seller and after looking at the situation, many of us post that it doesn't seem like a bad seller at all, and the buyer should have simply read the auction better.
I would be a bit pissed if I was put on a "do not buy from" list because after an auction ended, the buyer decided shipping was more than what he wants to pay, even though it was posted in the auction.

It really is simple!
1) read the terms carefuly.
2) read the positve and negative feedbacks carefuly. I have seen positive feedback that mentions bad things about the seller. You should also take a look at the buyers feedback when reading negatives. I have 1 neg from some nutcase who never paid, but claimed he did. Said he had proof and I offered him a full refund plus $100 if he showed me the proof. He never did. He had something like 3 out of 5 negatives, all saying basicaly the same thing.
Anyone taking the time to read my negative and then looking at his, should be able to see where the real problem was.
Look for patterns. several negs about poor shipping or defective items is a red flag.
3) If you are not willing to take a chance, don't buy on Ebay.
 
(4) check the other items the seller has, if it's clothes, books and piddly items, big chance they don't know how to pack. :no:
Every auction with a woman running the show, damaged decks or poor packing arrived here. :thumbsdn:
(5) Contact the seller before bidding and ask questions..no answer RED FLAG, don't bid.. :D

So what is number (6) ?
 
6) If they don't specifically list the shipping, and won't untill after the close, Don't bid, red flag.


7 is next!
 
Bugs Me

It seems like more and more every day I read where someone is asking someone else to do their work for them. . . Buying or selling on eBay is a very personal deal. . . I dont want anyones help. . . But I gues someone always wants to blame someone slse rather than do their own work, investigate the seller etc.

Seem more and more that people are asking for links to good deals or who is the bad guy etc. . . Just bugs me thats all. . .

Part of the game is doing this work yourself rather than depending on someone else to do it for you. . .

Please I am talking in general not pointing fingers. . .
 
Back
Top Bottom