• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ebay Do Not Buy From List

gyusher said:
It seems like more and more every day I read where someone is asking someone else to do their work for them. . . Buying or selling on eBay is a very personal deal. . . I dont want anyones help. . . But I gues someone always wants to blame someone slse rather than do their own work, investigate the seller etc.

Seem more and more that people are asking for links to good deals or who is the bad guy etc. . . Just bugs me thats all. . .

Part of the game is doing this work yourself rather than depending on someone else to do it for you. . .

Please I am talking in general not pointing fingers. . .

Seems to me that people come here to ask questions and do research. I was under the impression that this was OK with most people here. I haven't seen anyone ask anyone else here to do another persons work for them.

I have seen many people offer lots of sound and valuable advice here as well.
So I guess your point is lost on me. (But hey, I'm on a roll. What can I say?)
:)
 
bookasan said:
Now thats an idea!
a list of buying and selling tips instead of a "bad sellers" list.

Definitely a better idea. If that's what the people want, somebody start a new thread, cuz this old horse is so dead it's really starting to stink up the place.
 
OK, It's done. I started a thread, using the list started here, giving credit to the authors, and we can build on that. I (Or a mod could I'd guess) will edit the top post to reflect any new sugestions.

It's in off topic, HERE

It's up to you guy's now, If I get a lot of crap, I'll deletet it. But I'm willing to maintain it if you guys want it.
 
Makes sense

Great idea. . .

Kinda a "Do's and Dont's" for not only eBay but all purchases. . .

To; fropiler

"Seems to me that people come here to ask questions and do research. I was under the impression that this was OK with most people here. I haven't seen anyone ask anyone else here to do another persons work for them. "


You hit the nail on the head. . . In my mind that is the biggest reason to come here other than to share your hobby with like minded folks. . . What I was refering to was what appeared like some folks wanting someone to do all the leg work, research, everything but the actual purchase. I meant what I said about not pointing fingers at anyone here. . .

I see this on other forums too, as we see it here when someone posts a question about something we discuss at least once a week without doing any searching. Like the question; "SX-1250 for 25 bucks, should I buy it?" Thats what I am talking about bugging me. That type of thing, not information sharing at all.

I hope the "Tips" thread takes off like EW's thread about "Offset". . . Great idea. . . much better than a "Don't buy from" thread or a "Bad seller's list". . .

Great idea. . .Wish I would have thought of it. . .
 
This is a great start, outlaw! (I just came back from that thread).

I would also find that suggested list of good sellers very useful, but the problem there is that people are not consistantly A-holes! Someone could get on the list, and then destroy their reputation later. I suppose if this happens someone could PM the admin or the thread owner, tell them their gripe, and the name could then (up to the owner's discretion) mysteriously disappear from the latest list update. This couldn't be done in a forum format very well though. It would be best on a link to another web page.

Concerning "doing your own work", I find that ebay's ratings and comments are not sufficient, for two reasons:

1. They don't tell the whole story of anyone's experience; there's not enough room in the comments to go into any detail!

2. Most importantly, they appear to be tremendously skewed due to fear of retaliation, and the "if you scratch my back..." mentality.

Granted, there are also other clues, as mentioned, but for the most part, they're even less definitive.
 
gyusher said:
Great idea. . .

Kinda a "Do's and Dont's" for not only eBay but all purchases. . .

To; fropiler

"Seems to me that people come here to ask questions and do research. I was under the impression that this was OK with most people here. I haven't seen anyone ask anyone else here to do another persons work for them. "


You hit the nail on the head. . . In my mind that is the biggest reason to come here other than to share your hobby with like minded folks. . . What I was refering to was what appeared like some folks wanting someone to do all the leg work, research, everything but the actual purchase. I meant what I said about not pointing fingers at anyone here. . .

I see this on other forums too, as we see it here when someone posts a question about something we discuss at least once a week without doing any searching. Like the question; "SX-1250 for 25 bucks, should I buy it?" Thats what I am talking about bugging me. That type of thing, not information sharing at all.

I hope the "Tips" thread takes off like EW's thread about "Offset". . . Great idea. . . much better than a "Don't buy from" thread or a "Bad seller's list". . .

Great idea. . .Wish I would have thought of it. . .


I agree somewhat, but I am one of the ones guilty for asking whether an item is worth the price or not. My reason was simple. Up to now, I have tended to stick to 70's h/k items. Because of AK, I learned about other products that I passed over in my youth as I was focused in one area. At the time I was selling audio in the 70's it was "Made in the USA" items that were sought and drooled over. Japanese spkrs were to be avoided like the plague, most Japanese made electronics were less reliable, etc, etc...

Now with the knowledge gained over the years and my blinders off, I would like to widen my choices to include items from more companies. With virtually no experience with companies other than h/k, I thought it was ok to ask for a bit of advice. I have tried when others ask and I can help to provide advice. Sometimes when an item comes up on eBay, similar items have not appeared when doing a sold items search.

My thanks to all who have helped me with my questions.
 
Last edited:
Manitoulin said:
Rather than pee away more money on garbage, I thought it was ok to ask for advice from an AK member with more direct experience in that area. I guess this not acceptable within the AK community. My apologies to those I have offended by asking for advice on pricing...

You lost me on this one. Why is it not acceptable ?

And for those that do not know there have been many members who post under a thread called "Leads" Starting a million "hey look at this auction" posts is not really what AK is about. Thats not to say its against any rule but its best to try to keep these consolidated a little so we don't clutter up the place.

Grumpy
 
Tleilax said:
Look up our already much-discussed buddy in Canada (the one whose eBay handle starts with "V"). It's...horrific! Absolutely horrific! And it's too bad because the guy usually has cool, hard-to-find stuff. I bought from him once (before he developed such a reputation) with no problem, but I won't risk it ever again.

He has an hk-730 for sale right now. :no:
 
Add this guy to everyone's do not buy from list - mi48911@hotmail.com. His name is michael anders. Lives in Michigan. I bought a supposed Spec-1 preamp from him on Dec 19th. He kept giving me excuses why he hadn't shipped it, etc. Then about 2 weeks ago I went back to the US Audiomart site where he had it posted for sale. The add was gone and he was marked as "banned from the site". Contacted Paypal, waited 2 weeks and they refunded my $ 550.00 today. When he figured out I weeded out that he is a dirt bag, he quit responding to emails. Please post this anywhere you can. I don't want to see others get suckered in by this dirt bag. His add looked legit and he talked the talk so I figured it was good. After I found he was banned from the site I Googled some more and found several audio sites where he screwed over others as well. Should have done my homework to start with. Will next time. Maybe it does pay to buy something off of Ebay if you're doing long distance.
 
Add this guy to everyone's do not buy from list - mi48911@hotmail.com. His name is michael anders. Lives in Michigan. I bought a supposed Spec-1 preamp from him on Dec 19th. He kept giving me excuses why he hadn't shipped it, etc. Then about 2 weeks ago I went back to the US Audiomart site where he had it posted for sale. The add was gone and he was marked as "banned from the site". Contacted Paypal, waited 2 weeks and they refunded my $ 550.00 today. When he figured out I weeded out that he is a dirt bag, he quit responding to emails. Please post this anywhere you can. I don't want to see others get suckered in by this dirt bag. His add looked legit and he talked the talk so I figured it was good. After I found he was banned from the site I Googled some more and found several audio sites where he screwed over others as well. Should have done my homework to start with. Will next time. Maybe it does pay to buy something off of Ebay if you're doing long distance.

Congratulations, skykingrc, and welcome to the forum!

You have won the Golden Shovel Award, for digging up an 11 year old thread almost to the day and hour of the last original post.

tenn.jpg


And yet failed to notice that on the first page, Grumpy has already stated it's a legal no-go. LOL

Given the liability such a forum would open AK up to its easy to say we should have one when your name ain't on the court papers.

The shovel is still yours to keep, though - a timely gift if you happen to live somewhere along the east coast of the US. ;)
 
i hear ya grumpy

ebay really needs to do more to protect sellers and buyers. people dont read. dont follow the rules. i now know enough of ebay and paypal that i'm confident i could bid on and receive super expensive items and not pay a dime by reversing paypal payment with a bogus complaint. i get people trying to rip me off for ten bucks. not worth the time to sell there. i will continue to buy music from some favorite sellers (jonifan, eiselvis, oceanblues, mymusicfix, and 1centcd) but my selling days are over. maybe we could have a great seller list.... offer "AK Approved Logo for a fee!" LOL we ARE ebays audio police.
I had a guy receive a Turntable I sold him years ago well packed and double boxed, he tells me right off the dust cover had a crack.
I tell him I will get FedEx insurance on it ASAP Save the box and packing, his reply was "don't bother I threw it away and the box as well" and left me Negative feedback!
That was when a seller had a chance to do the same!
Now sellers are hosed I tell Ebay when they send one of those surveys for sellers.
My reply is the same "You Suck for sellers rights, nothing like biting the hand that feeds you".

You can pass that shovel over when your done I will fill the hole!! Lol!!:beerchug:
 
Back
Top Bottom