• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Electric vehicle owners, let's talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it. Add to that the extra stress on power generation to serve millions of car chargers and the natural loss of power in the conversion taxing a power grid that they constantly tell us is woefully inadequate. Major changes are afoot.....In the end, the truth will be revealed, that the best way to conserve energy is to not use any....
Yeah, thats not a doable path ...
Saving the earth by eliminating humankind is not an option either - ;)
We are doers, travellers, it will best be a compromise and doing mindful energy use.
 
I would have bought a similar vehicle if it had come in a medium-size SUV form -
but a sedan is just not a viable configuration for my needs.
Maybe 7-10% of my driving time I had folks in the back seats of my Honda Fit or my previous Honda CRV - and those times had always been short local trips.
I don't need a people hauler, I need a "stuff" hauler.
Like I said - a Rav4 HEV or PHEV looks like the best match next year or 2023.

Good point. The Volt fits a niche - urban driving, short distances, limited need to carry more than two people. The electric motor, especially in sport mode, is pretty fun though!

If/when we become a one car family we'll be looking for something more like a CR-V.
 
Yeah, thats not a doable path ...
Saving the earth by eliminating humankind is not an option either -
We are doers, travellers, it will best be a compromise and doing mindful energy use.
I think the goal is to reduce, not eliminate.
 
...Saving the earth by eliminating humankind is not an option either...

Average human exhales 2.3 pounds of CO2 per day or about 839 pounds per year. That amounts to about 8.5% of CO2 emissions from human activity. Just sayin'.
 
Must depend where one lives. There are solar farms all over around here. Seems like any time I take a drive I see another in the making.
In our area even the schools have solar panel covered parking canopies. My 65’ Black El Camino had no air and of course it had headers. It was my daily driver for 16 years in hot ass Orange Co. I had to use a thermal cover at work. Though it was a labor of love what I would have given for covered parking at work in the summer.
 
It's not so bad, around here they put them along the highway, 6 lanes of traffic isn't much to look at in the first place:
View attachment 2139203

Around here they're typically set back from the road more, interdispersed amongst the corn fields and such. They stand out more in the winter because they're usually the only things out in the fields sticking above the snow, LOL.
 
Around here they're typically set back from the road more, interdispersed amongst the corn fields and such. They stand out more in the winter because they're usually the only things out in the fields sticking above the snow, LOL.
Same here. They are out away from any towns for the most part. I drive past 2 huge ones with in 8 miles of our house on the way to work. And there are 2 more in that same radius. Also a huge wind farm in Elizabeth City. The new house has nuke power. :)
 
When I say all over that's sorta relative too. We might drive 70 miles for a pizza and a beer so "all over" covers a large area of where I see them. It's not "all over" in terms of every acre in sight is covered by solar panels.
 
Must depend where one lives. There are solar farms all over around here. Seems like any time I take a drive I see another in the making.

I was referring to the use of recycled EV batteries being used with solar panels. Projecting the usage and eventually of battery disposal. Solar panels and solar farms are not apples to apples.....there oranges, but still fruit. People storing up EV batteries and creating an electrical storage bank using an inverter to avoid rolling blackouts has nothing to do with another source of electricity.

But the real problem and threat to any form of infrastructure is over population and the profit driven supply and demand scenario.
 
When I say all over that's sorta relative too. We might drive 70 miles for a pizza and a beer so "all over" covers a large area of where I see them. It's not "all over" in terms of every acre in sight is covered by solar panels.
Must be some damn good pizza and friendly cops over there!
 
Average human exhales 2.3 pounds of CO2 per day or about 839 pounds per year. That amounts to about 8.5% of CO2 emissions from human activity. Just sayin'.

Exactly....

The threat of extinction comes from overpopulation....not the technology being used. It’s about how many people are using the same technology. Doesn’t matter which technology is being used because all have toxic disadvantages based on accumulation over time. Then from the people themselves are a source of pollution to both the water and the air.
 
I do not know where LoTL is, but sounds like an electric car is not warranted.

Work is only about 1.5 miles (well, when I used to go to the office for work, anyway). I could use an electric golf cart but it'd be sorta chilly in the winter.

For the rest, we have pizza and all that stuff in town, but we like get out and about on little weekend adventures to different places.
 
Our son has had a Tesla model 3 dual motor for about 1.5 years.

Very comparable range to most gas vehicles.

The primary use is commuting from one side of a 120,000 pop city to the other.
Sounds small, but traffic on that route can be downright horrible.

I asked him to do a semi-scientific study of the cost to charge it based on an average of their electric bills over 4-6 months.

After he installed the 30A 240V charger (much more efficient than a 120V charger) the cost per month was about $25-$35, making it cost about the same as a standard 80 gallon 240V water heater.
To me that means almost zero impact to "the grid" even if most people had one.
In fact, replace or augment your water heater with solar, and it becomes virtually free.

I had also thought that standardized batteries would open the market for competition and ease the issue of replacement.
However, the impediment is that currently so many are needed that the manufactures make custom cases to fit them into most irregular shapes, such as the rocker panel hollows, around the axles, etc.
Those areas would be shaped differently on different cars.
Perhaps smaller packs, or even flexible, like the size of a freezy ice pack. Of course now we need 350 connectors and wiring instead of 25.
What was his kwh rate?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom