• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Empire 598 Wiring Diagrams

Thunderbox

Super Member
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for an Empire 598 Turntable. These are like hens teeth. Motor doesn't run.
 
Register to hide this ad
There's not much to it. Just a switch, a cap, the motor, and a light bulb.
Got power to the motor when it's switched on?
 
Is it in the owner's manual, available on vinylengine?
There’s an owner’s manual but not a service manual.

If the motor doesn’t run, use a volt meter to first check that power is going in from the cord. I’d then check that the switch has continuity and power going through. If power is good up to that point, I’d suspect a bad start capacitor. I doubt the motor has failed; it should last a lifetime or two. The start caps are known to fail now & then. Read through the threads here and I think you’ll find specs for a replacement - or it could be printed on the cap as well.
 
Which one there are 3 and all different colors. That is why I would like a diagram. They covered all the places where a connection is made so you can't just follow the wires from the source plug.

Post a picture. I seem to remember the ground being screwed to a corner of the metal cage surrounding the motor.
 
Yes but there are 3 wires going to the motor rather than the normal 2 wires that is why I would like a diagram.

The circuit is simpler than it may appear.

You've got an un-switched common wire that goes to the motor and the light.
The positive wire is switched and has a direct line to the motor, the light, and the run capacitor [which also feeds the motor].

This type of AC motor requires the use of a run capacitor.....a second positive connection.
Thus, three wires to the motor.
It won't run if the capacitor is bad.

Apparently there are 2 capacitors. That is why I need a diagram.

The second capacitor is on the switch, and it largely inconsequential.
Just keeps the switch from arcing.
 
I need to take a look at my 598.
I'll do that tomorrow morning.

If anything, I'm thinking the circuit looks complicated because of the way the power is routed after the switch.
There's an extra lug on top of the run capacitor used as a junction point???
Something like that.
 
Empire used 3-phase Papst motors in their turntables. I don't know if the stator windings are arranged in a wye or delta configuration but you should see equal winding resistance across any two of the three motor wires.

Here is the wiring diagram for the Empire 698 which may or may not be similar to the 598.

Empire 698 Motor.jpg

Empire 698 notes.jpg
 
Empire used 3-phase Papst motors in their turntables. I don't know if the stator windings are arranged in a wye or delta configuration but you should see equal winding resistance across any two of the three motor wires.

Here is the wiring diagram for the Empire 698 which may or may not be similar to the 598.

View attachment 2030677

View attachment 2030678

Sure looks similar.
C1 is the cap across the switch.
C2 is the run capacitor

I've got blue brown and violet leads coming out of my motor.
If the coding is the same, then blue is the common wire.
Brown is the switched 120V lead.
Violet connects to the 4uf run capacitor [3.6uf on my TT].

The run cap is fed by a black wire on mine.
But there's a second black wire connected as well.
Maybe power for the light?

I'm finding it very awkward to get a good look without pulling the TT from the system.
Space and clearance are tight here. I don't usually move stuff around unless I really have to.
 
Last edited:
It probably is if the power light is neon. In the 698, the power indicator is an LED which is powered from lower voltage DC.

In the 598, it's a 120V mini bulb with a bayonet-type base.
The original was 6W, but they're apparently impossible to find.
Esoteric Sound sells 3W replacements.
 
Sure looks similar.
C1 is the cap across the switch.
C2 is the run capacitor

I've got blue brown and violet leads coming out of my motor.
If the coding is the same, then blue is the common wire.
Brown is the switched 120V lead.
Violet connects to the 4uf run capacitor [3.6uf on my TT].

The run cap is fed by a black wire on mine.
But there's a second black wire connected as well.
Maybe power for the light?

I'm finding it very awkward to get a good look without pulling the TT from the system.
Space and clearance are tight here. I don't usually move stuff around unless I really have to.
Thanks for the information. The motors on both the 698 and the 598 are the same motor.
Sure looks similar.
C1 is the cap across the switch.
C2 is the run capacitor

I've got blue brown and violet leads coming out of my motor.
If the coding is the same, then blue is the common wire.
Brown is the switched 120V lead.
Violet connects to the 4uf run capacitor [3.6uf on my TT].

The run cap is fed by a black wire on mine.
But there's a second black wire connected as well.
Maybe power for the light?

I'm finding it very awkward to get a good look without pulling the TT from the system.
Space and clearance are tight here. I don't usually move stuff around unless I really have to.
Thanks for the information. The diagram from the 698 is probably the same but you have to add the light into the diagram no big deal on that. I am very disappointed with the lack of quality in the wiring of this turntable. I think I will rewire the entire set up. Thank you.
 
This thread got me scratching my head. Apologies for the hijack.

I sorta re-wired my 698 when I put the new headshell on it, moved what looks like a choke away from the signal side and placed it nearer the motor. I don't remember any capacitors...

Here's a pic - I was taking a pic of the new output jacks and the new power cord socket, but you can just make out that choke looking thing, out of focus, on the right of the pic.

index.php
 
Back
Top Bottom