• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

England Capacitor Polarity Question ?

Gary Mattis

Active Member
Is the side with -10 the negative side of this e cap ? Never seen this type before ? In A Whirlitzer 545 juke box amp. 1963.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160627_231720170.jpg
    IMG_20160627_231720170.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 73
Register to hide this ad
That looks like the tolerance rating to me... -10% / +100%. I'd say the end with the depression (see where the % side is) is the + end of the cap.

Heh, so I guess the answer to your question is "yes" (at least, I think so), though I perhaps derived it differently than you did.
 
To me it looks like both ends have the depression.. :idea:

What does each end of the cap look like where the leads attach?
 
Your right both are indented and Both ends look exactly The same , I followed 2 of them by using a light on the top to see through the PC board and the side opposite the -10 writing on both went to the cathode and so did a resistor to ground , so I would assume the side with -10 is the negative , since both of the others go to pin 3 and pin 8 both cathodes, add bass caps is what they are and the values and cathode resistors to ground would seem to back that up. So my conclusion is that on green made in Great Britten e caps the writing where it says -10 side is the ground. Thanks for looking and the reply !
 
Last edited:
Looks like a non-polarized capacitor to me. You might have to try to rotate it to see if there are other specs written on it.
 
To me it looks like both ends have the depression.. :idea:

What does each end of the cap look like where the leads attach?
Both ends look exactly the same ! . The neg 10 side is negative, both sides look exactly the same, I used a light and the other side goes to pin 3 and another to pin 8 with res. To ground, both are cathodes ! , the neg side is marked with (- 10 ) this -10 side has to be the ground on these caps. They are Add bass caps on the cathodes , the light trick worked to see through the PC board. Check out the picture of this cap I found underneath , amazing it even worked !
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160627_222436080.jpg
    IMG_20160627_222436080.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20160627_222436080.jpg
    IMG_20160627_222436080.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 42
Looks like a non-polarized capacitor to me. You might have to try to rotate it to see if there are other specs written on it.
I tried that but found nothing , and both ends look the same, I used a light to see through the PC board and traced two ends to cathodes, bass caps, the -10 end is the ground on these brit caps. , I too wondered if they were non or bi polar caps at first. , regular e caps 25uf @ 25 volts.
 
Now at least I know I ordered the right e caps for it ! , I can relax now and Go listen to my Class A stereo ! , I need a break from this stuff sometime !
 
BTW, a non-polar capacitor may have one of its leads connected to ground. It is not in and of its self an indication of the type of capacitor.

The -10 + 100 % on one line indicates the tolerance rating of the capacitor, the % is the key. That was not an uncommon tolerance rating. The - 10 marking is not an indication of polarity.

Some manufactures did use non-polar electrolytic capacitors for cathode by pass It was not a good idea and they seemed to have a high failure rate. I have worked a number of amplifiers and the capacitors looked like yours.

If it is a cathode by pass capacitor, even if it was a non-polar capacitor, a polarized capacitor will work in that position. There is some debate about changes in sound quality, but I take no sides.
 
Last edited:
Any chance you have the original schematic? That may tell you which end is - or if its a non-polar type.
 
I looked at those schematics earlier. I couldn't make heads nor tails of it when zoomed in enough to see any real detail.
 
The 545 schematic and PCB layout is available here, though rather fuzzy. http://www.4tubes.com/SCHEMATICS/Music-amps/Wurlitzer/
Seems fuzzy , but looking on the first 545 SKU , on the cathode by pass or bass cap I can see a thicker line towards ground , to me that would indicate a normal cap , though I must admit they don't look like normal caps. They look more non polar, but non polar supposedly have a high failure rate in cathode by pass or bass cap position, these look original sense 1963 ? On the other SKU 545b the cap # C3 is the cap in question ? But I did not see any parts list there. SKU 545b , C3 is the cap in question on V2 a 12AU7. Maybe someone can find a parts list somewhere ? I would like to know just to know ! , some say tone can be an issue ? I Do like the way it sounds with these caps in it , I ordered regular e caps for it , but I can get non polars if that is what belongs in there.
 
Last edited:
I changed the caps today and found out that they are regular e caps, you have to remove them and clean the outer ends to see polarity, the end insulation rubber is black on one end and is red on the other, neg and pos.
 
I have a ground wrong and blew a ecap , any SKU for a 545 whirlitzer juke amp that can actually be read would be much appreciated, 2710 model 1963. Moved the ground twice trying to get rid of loud humm, second time worked for a minute and blew cap, not gonna try to guess next time. Had to remove 4 e caps at once and mixed it up somehow.
 
Last edited:
If the amp has fixed bias, and the cap the blew was part of the bias circuit, bear in mind those caps appear to be installed backwards because bias is (-) with respect to chassis/ground. If it is a cap for fixed bias circuit then (+) would go to ground/chassis.
 
When all else fails, put a volt meter on it and measure. That will tell you which way it needs to go.
 
Back
Top Bottom