• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EPI 100/ADS Comparison?

cary

Well-Known Member
Hello Everyone,

I am an EPI 100 user, and was wondering what the difference in sound quality is between the ADS series speakers that are two way with 8" woofers. My EPI 100's have been refoamed and recapped.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Cary,

depends what model a/d/s/ as they had each their own slight signature.


I can give you a rough idea though.

I owned a pair of EPI 100s and a pair of a/d/s/ L570 IIs.

The L570 IIs had better midrange, but required a bit more volume to "open up". Bass was a bit tighter.

The EPI played full sounding at minimal volume- great for extremely low level listening. Bass was a bit more warm and pleasantly wooly.

The highs are about equal, but the epi tweets are indeed something special. Earlier epi tweets are a touch rolled off compared to later tweets.
 
I own EPI M100's and ADS L570 II's.
In short, the EPI's seem brighter than the
ADS. I prefer the ADS over the EPI, they
have a warmer sound, to me anyway. I like
both the EPI and the ADS but I listen to my
ADS L570 II's MUCH more than the M100's,
if I were forced to part with one or the other...
by, by, EPI.
 
I find the ads products in general to be far more "sophisticated" (bordering on "polite") sounding loudspeakers than the classic EPIs or virtually any 1970s-era sealed (or passive radiator-equipped!) "monkey coffin" speakers. The ads L-710 and its close relatives, e.g., are among the least-fatiguing speakers to listen to that I have ever heard (only the Quad ESL-57 really surpasses them in this regard).

Obviously my own opinions only, and hardly humble ones at that.
 
I have owned several sets of EPI 100's and sold each. But my ADS L420's remain. They have a slightly smaller 6.5-inch woofer, but to me a more pleasant and balanced sound.
 
My personal opinion is that the ADS speakers are on another level compared to the EPI 100s. I really can't stand the EPIs, but maybe your preferences are for the EPIs.
 
I have a pair of EPI 100's. I find the highs a bit too bright for my tastes. A/D/S speakers on the other hand are the epitome of natural from top to bottom.
 
As others have siad, both have very redeaming qualities. I own both 100's and 570 II's and find that I play the ADS' more often. The 570's highs are very smooth and silky, bass is very strong but not quite as refined as the 100's.

Both very good speakers and they will remain in my collection.
 
I have owned several sets of EPI 100's and sold each. But my ADS L420's remain. They have a slightly smaller 6.5-inch woofer, but to me a more pleasant and balanced sound.

I have L420's as well and L200's, L300's and continue
my quest to get L6XX's, L7XX's, L8XX's, and so on... love them
ADS!!

I own 22 pair of speakers, everytime I hook up a pair of ADS
they always bring a smile to my face. :thmbsp:
 
I just picked up a pair of EPI M90's. To me they sound a little better than the larger a/d/s I've had, but the only ones I have left are the L400's so its not a fair side-by-side comparison. I'm still amazed at how good the EPI's can sound for something that looks like it was assembled by a 4 year old with fingerpaints lol.
 
Back
Top Bottom