• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

EPI 100/Smaller Advent Comparison?

cary

Well-Known Member
I own a pair of EPI 100's that I have refoamed and and recapped. I was wondering how do they compare in sound quality to the Smaller Advents?

Thank you,

Cary Chin
 
Register to hide this ad
EPI No Doubt.

I own EPI 100's and have owned smaller Advents. I would say the EPI's are far superior. The Large Advents might start to compete, but the smaller ones fall way short IMHO.
 
I concur with the above reactions. Epi M60's are probably a better comparison with the Baby Advent though I still prefer the Epis. 100's are much closer to the Large Advents but have less bass, less mids and nicer highs.
 
I own and like both of them, but I prefer the smaller advents. it's close, though. one of these days I'd like to a/b them to get a better comparison.

this to to compare the Smaller Advent Loudspeaker to the EPI 100, correct? The baby advents are different speakers.
 
If you look at the specs, the Original and Large Advents have roughly the same internal volume as the EPI 150. I remember shopping the Advents against the EPI back when they both could be had new.

I bought the EPI 150s.
 
The smaller Advents will go deeper in the bass with less distortion. The Advents have a seamless midrange. The EPI while nice has a quite noticeable hole in the middle from 1.5 - 3 khz.
 
Hi,

The Smaller Advents have superior bass and midrange. The EPI has better high frequency response and a slight hole in the midrange. I have a pair of Epicure 10 speakers (now backup) and a pair of Large Advents. (my main speakers now). The Baby Advents are different speakers altogether. They were designed and made after Henry Kloss left Advent and Jensen took over. I think the Baby Advents are good small speakers (just a little bit lacking in bottom octave response).
 
I just picked up a set of Baby Advent IIs tonight, close to mint, intact surrounds, and I can at least compare them to my mutated EPI 100s.

Like the highs of the 100s much more and the midrange hole noted above is something I would typically create with an EQ anyway, the Baby IIs definitely need it for my tastes. The 100 gets the nod in bass as well, smooth, clean and tight. The Baby IIs are OK, but the smaller enclosure and woofer just can't compete with larger driver and enclosure.
 
I just picked up a set of Baby Advent IIs tonight, close to mint, intact surrounds, and I can at least compare them to my mutated EPI 100s.

Like the highs of the 100s much more and the midrange hole noted above is something I would typically create with an EQ anyway, the Baby IIs definitely need it for my tastes. The 100 gets the nod in bass as well, smooth, clean and tight. The Baby IIs are OK, but the smaller enclosure and woofer just can't compete with larger driver and enclosure.
Baby II measured response here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161809
 
The Baby Advent is not the Smaller Advent. They are completly different systems. The baby is much smaller and does not have the low end of the smaller. Different much cheaper woofer, tweeter and cabinet. Completely different engineering.
 
The Baby Advent is not the Smaller Advent. They are completly different systems. The baby is much smaller and does not have the low end of the smaller. Different much cheaper woofer, tweeter and cabinet. Completely different engineering.


Grateful is correct:thmbsp: 2 different times in the companies history. And no comparison. I like the Baby Advents for what they are though. I have not heard the EPI 100 but hope to someday :)

CIMG1061.jpg
 
The baby is a good system for what it is, but the smaller is a system that is in the classic acoustic suspension system class. Other members include the AR 3a, Allision 1, Large Advent, KLH 5 etc. It's bass response is competitive with the best systems in the world.
 
While I do like the inverted tweeter, I overall prefere the sound of the Smaller Advents. The Advent tweeter mounted off the baffle plane is not near as tiring to me. but in their original form can be- recapping helps here. The natural roll off of the woofer is smooth with the added bass from the mass loaded "spit wad" dust cap1! Just a fine little speaker in my book. An updated inverted dome EPI tweeter combined with that woofer would prove to be a very interesting design, along with some efficientcy improvements.
DC
 
There is essentially no difference in sound between the Large and Smaller Advent. They were designed to have exactly the same sound including the same low end. The Smaller traded off some efficiency and absolute loudness capability for the smaller size and lower cost. I also own mutiple pairs of EPI 100s, Smaller and large Advents.
 
I own both the EPI 100s and the Smaller Advents. I much prefer the Smaller Advents. They have excellent bass, a warm and full midrange, and a sweet rolled off high end. I bought the EPIs after the SAs, and could not get past the hole in the midrange. Amazing high end though.
 
If you measure the Advent you will find it's high end to be flat out to 18 KHZ or so. The EPI does sound brighter, I suspect it rises a few DB at the extreme high end. The KLH 6 is an example of a rolled off speaker.
 
Back
Top Bottom