• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ESS AMT-3 replacement woofer candidates

Ok!
The first 2 are discontinued
OP ended up with a paper cone Dayton Reference Series
 
And I’m glad he’s going to run it in a sealed configuration
I think most people will be happier with them this way..as the transient response will be more input with the Heil.
 
I never understood the logic of ESS' layout when compared to more conventional parallel low-pass/band-pass/high-pass legs of a crossover, but I don't know enough about the method to their madness to pass judgement on it. I left well enough alone and rebuilt my crossovers to the same specs. My only beef with the midrange was a bit much volume from the 3rd party driver I installed that had to be toned down with an L-pad.
I wasted perfectly good money replacing ALL of the caps with poly-caps, which were big as pop cans. Odds are that my ear probably couldn't hear the difference if I replaced with electrolytic, but the durability of a poly-cap means that the Rock Monitors won't have to have them replaced until my grand kids inherit them from my kids.

View attachment 1631944
Sure.....maybe...
That's what I intend to see first hand.....
1040SF.jpg 1040SF.jpg MUNDORF-76441.jpg
 
Ok
Well I didn’t put a piece of foam in there which would’ve been the thing to do
Yes.. it’s put on the two output wires to the mid
I agree it shouldn’t make a difference and it’s probably just soundwaves wrapping around
Still it’s odd.. perhaps some sort of feedback...
It would be nice to to have full range loads in both..you could with a stereo pad... I thought about it
I'm wondering why ESS didn't use an L-Pad on the Heil, as opposed to the rotary switch/resistors combo. I can appreciate the electronic simplicity of the resistors, but what happens to the overall crossover frequency when you go shifting those resistors from series to parallel (in relation to the heil) with the rotary switch?
The big problem now would be the availability of 4 ohm L-Pads. I think I've seen one for sale in all of the searches I've done for it.
 
I'm wondering why ESS didn't use an L-Pad on the Heil, as opposed to the rotary switch/resistors combo. I can appreciate the electronic simplicity of the resistors, but what happens to the overall crossover frequency when you go shifting those resistors from series to parallel (in relation to the heil) with the rotary switch?
The big problem now would be the availability of 4 ohm L-Pads. I think I've seen one for sale in all of the searches I've done for it.
Sure. Maye that's why they stuck to resistors...
You can use a stereo l-pad in parallel to simulate 4-ohms.
Most of the mono 4-ohm units I have seen are usually old, and 15 watt units.
Those Mundorfs should be delivered today-hopefully it should not take to much time to swap.
I'm a bit skeptical it will be a improvement...or a placebo.
Seems like, to me, some of it is based purely on the cost.
Gee's review was very cool-but I didn't see any measurements, one could tie to the end result.
It just seems like it has to be this audio mystery, weird.
Actually both of my AMT3's, stock sounded fine Great Heil wise, same after recap-perhaps slightly brighter-which, as Crites has pointed out-means, you were probably losing information with the old caps.
But others, here, say different, etc.
That's why I find it a frustrating.
So I felt, at least, applying to the AMT3-I could maybe shed some light on this issue.
And keep AMT3 owners away from the cap controversy threads/frustration etc.
What I did find interesting was a Infinity rebuild/upgrade that specified a wide range for the bas cap-from 55-125uf, in adjusting the bass response-fuller bass-lesser bass.
 
Last edited:
Sure. Maye that's why they stuck to resistors...
You can use a stereo l-pad in parallel to simulate 4-ohms.
Most of the mono 4-ohm units I have seen are usually old, and 15 watt units.
Those Mundorfs should be delivered today-hopefully it should not take to much time to swap.
I'm a bit skeptical it will be a improvement...or a placebo.
Seems like, to me, some of it is based purely on the cost.
Gee's review was very cool-but I didn't see any measurements, one could tie to the end result.
It just seems like it has to be this audio mystery, weird.
Actually both of my AMT3's, stock sounded fine Great Heil wise, same after recap-perhaps slightly brighter-which, as Crites has pointed out-means, you were probably losing information with the old caps.
But others, here, say different, etc.
That's why I find it a frustrating.
So I felt, at least, applying to the AMT3-I could maybe shed some light on this issue.
And keep AMT3 owners away from the cap controversy threads/frustration etc.
Lifes to short to carry on a conversation with people convinced their opinions are fact...
You mean, my opinions AREN'T fact?
 
It's just weird, sign-o-the times...
It's assbackwards…..".I am, therefore I think"..(Rene')
I suppose, if that really works for you:idea:
1040SF.jpg MUNDORF-76441.jpg
 
Last edited:
The switch wasn't too bad-had to use silicone this time-could not get the glue gun down to the bottom of the caps.
Even then I had to put small blobs of silicone on a butter knife-and pack it under the caps.
The glue on the top just keeps the tie from shifting.
Due to the Mundorf's height-the tie keeps it decently snug-but you want the silicone as well.
It also helps soak up vibrations-that might cause issues, michrophoney etc.
 
As I posted on the Zero thread-the Evo Oils are a definite improvement-the definitely are not bright-but definition was improved considerably-in fact they are LESS bright then the Dayton's-doing a A-B comparison in mono.
I was surprised how much better the improvement was.
I went with the Dayton's because they seemed like they would be more or less close to stock, just adding long term stability.
(Every who went down the Solen Fast Cap route-seemed to be on the bright side-not good-as being bright-or too bright in my experience is just masking another frequency range. Never was to excited about them in my MMG's. Yep, they made them brighter.).
And they were-as close as I can remember.
I do have a recapped AMT3 crossover pair with electrolytes-my first AMT3 rebuild, but that's too much work.
Plus I have a different preamp since those days.
Anyway-it seems to be worth the work, and added expense.
I'll install them on my Super Auto crossover as well.
But I doubt I will try more expensive ones-I like they way these sound for sure.
 
As I posted on the Zero thread-the Evo Oils are a definite improvement-the definitely are not bright-but definition was improved considerably-in fact they are LESS bright then the Dayton's-doing a A-B comparison in mono.
I was surprised how much better the improvement was.
I went with the Dayton's because they seemed like they would be more or less close to stock, just adding long term stability.
(Every who went down the Solen Fast Cap route-seemed to be on the bright side-not good-as being bright-or too bright in my experience is just masking another frequency range. Never was to excited about them in my MMG's. Yep, they made them brighter.).
And they were-as close as I can remember.
I do have a recapped AMT3 crossover pair with electrolytes-my first AMT3 rebuild, but that's too much work.
Plus I have a different preamp since those days.
Anyway-it seems to be worth the work, and added expense.
I'll install them on my Super Auto crossover as well.
But I doubt I will try more expensive ones-I like they way these sound for sure.

automojo: I am not surprise by your findings... I have known this for a long time, having recapped preamps, power amps and speakers. Mundorf Evo Oils are very good, especially for the price. www.humblehomemadehifi.com tests and ranks capacitors. I used them for general guidance and in my limited experience, I pretty much agree with their findings. The caps in direct signal path make the most difference. I try to save money on the shunts. Solens and Daytons are use strictly for shunts. Mundorfs and Jantzens are some of my favorites...
 
Automojo: Yes. I saw that pair of 3's for sale on ebay. there is also another pair for sale as well, along with several pair of Monitors. Problem is for most buyers, nobody will ship these and will offer little help in getting them packaged or shipped.
This pair of boxes shipped a pair of 3's to me in the east from Calif. I also reused the same boxes, sent them to Duluth where a pair of Monitors was also sent to me in the same boxes. In each case, one box was mishandled and there was some slight damage. But, I consider that minimal and the speakers are up and running. Each box weighed 120lb. FEDX ground would only ship to a local office, not residential delivery, I had to drive a couple of miles to the local fedx store and pick them up myself. So, it can be done.

ESS boxes.JPG
 
Automojo: Yes. I saw that pair of 3's for sale on ebay. there is also another pair for sale as well, along with several pair of Monitors. Problem is for most buyers, nobody will ship these and will offer little help in getting them packaged or shipped.
This pair of boxes shipped a pair of 3's to me in the east from Calif. I also reused the same boxes, sent them to Duluth where a pair of Monitors was also sent to me in the same boxes. In each case, one box was mishandled and there was some slight damage. But, I consider that minimal and the speakers are up and running. Each box weighed 120lb. FEDX ground would only ship to a local office, not residential delivery, I had to drive a couple of miles to the local fedx store and pick them up myself. So, it can be done.

View attachment 1637226
Man, I could never trust anyone to pack them securely enough to avoid damage anyway. It's one of those things you have to make a road trip out of - have a juicy-jugged red-head riding shotgun under the guise of a romantic road trip, but be up front about the gems at the other end of the journey.
Of course, be prepared to perform your manly duties once or twice along the way.
 
Man, I could never trust anyone to pack them securely enough to avoid damage anyway. It's one of those things you have to make a road trip out of - have a juicy-jugged red-head riding shotgun under the guise of a romantic road trip, but be up front about the gems at the other end of the journey.
Of course, be prepared to perform your manly duties once or twice along the way.
OK!
Better get a fat city address first......
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom