• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

FM reception not working on a receiver.

mciburton

New Member
Is it possible to repair an FM channel that isn't working on a receiver. The AM band works fine. I'm new to this. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Could be anything, a long shot is that the power supply to the FM stage is down, usually something that can be quickly checked/ruled
out, are you comfortable measuring voltages on a live unit? Would need make and model, hopefully the service manual is on
hifiengine...
 
It could also be helpful to say what is being used for an FM antenna (*), and whether anything changes if the FM muting function (if any) is set to off.

(*) An external FM antenna is almost always required for receivers. An AM antenna is often built-in, at least with vintage receivers. This difference might be unexpected, so I thought I would mention it. Sorry if obvious.

Oh, and welcome to AK!
 
It could also be helpful to say what is being used for an FM antenna (*), and whether anything changes if the FM muting function (if any) is set to off.

(*) An external FM antenna is almost always required for receivers. An AM antenna is often built-in, at least with vintage receivers. This difference might be unexpected, so I thought I would mention it. Sorry if obvious.

Oh, and welcome to AK!

Oddly, I have the same receiver where one will work to pull in FM Stations, but the second one doesn't work unless I attach a cheap antenna to get some reception. Always worth adding an antenna to check
 
Could be anything, a long shot is that the power supply to the FM stage is down, usually something that can be quickly checked/ruled
out, are you comfortable measuring voltages on a live unit? Would need make and model, hopefully the service manual is on
hifiengine...
Thanks so much for your reply. I found the service manual online. I'm good at fixing things but when they talk about shock, I get a little wary. My brother might work on it though.
 
Thank you all for your replies. I hadn't thought of the antenna being the problem, and I had a receiver like this before. I will give that a whack and let you all know! Thanks for the welcome!
 
I honestly don't know. I don't have this receiver yet, but will soon. When you say one side works but the other doesn't, do you mean speakers? Thanks!
Do you get sound from one side but not the other? That would be the right or left CHANNEL

What channel were you referring to in your first post?
 
To clarify @skipper 's question: FM stations are designated by FREQUENCY, not CHANNELS, as in TV channels. If your receiver is not working in either or both CHANNELS, as in left & right sound outputs, that's usually in the preamp/amp sections. Reception, however, won't be squat without some kind of antenna connected for FM, and maybe AM, depending on whether the unit has a built-in AM antenna or not. Even a piece of wire a couple feet long should yield results on FM, try that.
 
Hi, I bought this on eBay. The seller said "FM channel" didn't work, but when I asked him for details he said he was not a tech, just checked to see what worked and what didn't. I finally got it set up (sort of) to one speaker today and attached an antenna. (I do have two but didn't have the time to set them both up) All I got was static on both stereo FM and FM. AM works fine (what you can get which isn’t much). I moved the FM antenna around a bit but still got static. I live in an area where reception via air waves/antenna is poor (is air waves correct?). Do I need a better antenna? I had one of these years ago (1980s) but was persuaded to get rid of it for a newer compact system. I mostly bought another just now to play records but I do like to listen to the radio too. Thanks to everyone for your input!
 
Last edited:
Do I need a better antenna?

If the ebay receiver only gets static in the same circumstances where your newer compact system can receive FM broadcasts, then my best guess is there is a defect in what's called the "front end" of the FM circuitry in the ebay receiver. If so, it generally will not be a DIY fix.

Perhaps you could connect a streaming device to the AUX or TAPE IN input of the ebay receiver? Many FM broadcasters provide an Internet stream.
 
If the ebay receiver only gets static in the same circumstances where your newer compact system can receive FM broadcasts, then my best guess is there is a defect in what's called the "front end" of the FM circuitry in the ebay receiver. If so, it generally will not be a DIY fix.

Perhaps you could connect a streaming device to the AUX or TAPE IN input of the ebay receiver? Many FM broadcasters provide an Internet stream.

Thank you for your suggestion. I am very old school (I still have a tube TV and no HD TV). Could I attach another radio to the aux? I have an old-under-cabinet DVD player that also acts as a radio. Its owner's manual says it has line out for low level input of stereo system. Could I connect the receiver to it? And will it sound all right?
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your suggestion. I am very old school (I still have a tube TV and no HD TV). Could I attach another radio to the aux? I have an old-under-cabinet DVD player that also acts as a radio. Its owner's manual says it has line out for low level input of stereo system. Could I connect the receiver to it? And will it sound all right?
Thank you for your suggestion. I am very old school (I still have a tube TV and no HD TV). Could I attach another radio to the aux? I have an old-under-cabinet DVD player that also acts as a radio. Its owner's manual says it has line out for low level input of stereo system. Could I connect the receiver to it? And will it sound all right?
What is name(manufacturer) and model of this receiver. I would not turn the receiver on without both speakers connected to prevent an output burnout. Pictures under 100k would also be helpful.
 
What is name(manufacturer) and model of this receiver. I would not turn the receiver on without both speakers connected to prevent an output burnout. Pictures under 100k would also be helpful.
Thanks! It's a Harman Kardon HK670. I turned it on for less than 30 seconds, if that matters. I hope I haven't damaged it. I will check it, now that you mentioned that.
 
line out for low level input of stereo system

Yes, connecting that line out to the AUX input of the ebay receiver should work just fine.

Operating without speakers connected will not damage an HK670 (which I take it is the ebay receiver), nor will it damage any DVD player ever made in the past or future (a prediction in which I am 100% confident).
 
As with any used unit with issues, starting with a good cleaning of controls is always a good place to start. Blowing with canned air or compressor the fins of the tuning cap followed by very, very small drops of Deoxit D100L-25 Precision Needle Applicator to just, and only at the contact area of the shaft and holes in housing points.

Then if with a antenna still only static tracing the signal path or voltages on the FM board or boards would be my starting point.
 
Back
Top Bottom