• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Forte II upgrades

63pontiacgp

"Tubes Smell Good"
Subscriber
Recently installed the Crites crossovers in my Forte II's and it is definately an improvement. Thinking about the drivers next. Does it get that much better than how they sound now? I don't think they could get any better.

Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
Recently installed the Crites crossovers in my Forte II's and it is definitely an improvement. Thinking about the drivers next. Does it get that much better than how they sound now? I don't think they could get any better.

Mike

Don't let SET12 hear you say that. :D
Enjoy your Fortes!

cubdog

You bet cubdog :D

63pontiacgp, you have only just scratched the surface of whats possible from a pair of Fortes :D

I'd like to say that the Crites upgrades are well worth the expense to get back to stock or better performance and no doubt Bob's parts are a far cry from the stock Klipsch.

But by the same token IMO you have only just begun to hear what can be had from them.

But if they meet your needs thats all that counts :thmbsp:

Enjoy!

Nice car BTW

SET12
 
Last edited:
Recently installed the Crites crossovers in my Forte II's and it is definately an improvement. Thinking about the drivers next. Does it get that much better than how they sound now? I don't think they could get any better.

Mike


Instead of dealing with the confusion, just give them to me...problem solved.
 
Don't let SET12 hear you say that. :D
Enjoy your Fortes!

cubdog

I hear that! I read his posts with great interest as a Forte owner that has opted (out of financial necessity) to leave mine stock! I'll write about my Klipsch anytime the subject arises, they are simply wonderful. I love them beyond imagination. (I know, "why don't you marry them?"...right?):D
 
If you invested ten dollars a month in three short years you would have new Titanium tweeter diaphragms, new crossover caps and new Titaniun mid range diaphragms. In the intrim if you use your imagination you can jury rig yourself a pair of ten in high stands for them (remove the risers). You don`t have to spend a lot or work too hard at it.
The reason I mention this and call you out in this fashion all be it a small calling out is because I too fell in love with my first set of Forte ll on first listen. I know and understand how you feel about them. Having made the jump into serious modification I can tell you that what you cant appreciatee is just how much enjoyment pleasure and satisfaction is simply sitting inside of your Forte as totally ignored untapped potential right now. You have there a brilliant gemstone which can sparkle all the colors of the world and you have it safe in your pocket inside the fold of your wallet where the sun will never see it. Take it out wear it and enjoy it every day. Let the sun shine on them and they will sparkle for you. Best regards Moray James.
 
Last edited:
The Next Step?

So I've performed the Crites crossover and Titanium tweeter diaphragm upgrades on my Forte II's and I am extremely pleased with the results. The sound really does improve as the new caps burn in. I also upgraded the internal wiring and 5-way binding posts to Pomona 3770-x Gold-plated Copper binding posts. Would the next logical upgrade be the midrange diaphragms? What about Bob Crites' autoformers? I've read SET12's thread on upgrading his Forte I's, and I just don't want to spend the kind of money for exotic caps and inductors.
 
Ti mids would be a great next step. In each of the different speakers into which I have installed these I have felt the improvement was far more than what I experienced with the Ti tweeters alone. I would also suggest that you consider some internal brace work for your Forte. Inexpensive to do past your real investment of time and most rewarding as is getting the speakers up on stands to the correct height. Past that simple things like making sure there are no small holes in your passive suspensions which you can easily patch with a little dab of rubber cement for craft work. Splurge and buy some fresh thin closed cell foam weather stripping and make all fresh gaskets for the horns woofer passive and terminal cup. Make sure all your mounting screws are nice and tight any which are stripped or won`t tighten up you can easily fix with a couple of tooth pick ends and a blob of white wood glue. If you want another simple upgrade then snip off the spade connectors at your drivers and hard solder the wires directly to the terminal lugs for a nice boost in the sound. Then spend some time playing with the speaker positioning in your room and see if you can place them as symetrically as you can in terms of corners and adjacent walls. These small changes can make a world of difference all by themselves.
I think the next major improvement that can be made on a restrained budget would be to replace the large inductor in the woofer section with at least a 14 gage air core solid wire inductor. This won`t cost a lot but it will have a significant impact. After that You might consider Bob`s larger auto transformers, I will let SET 12 comment on them as he has had experience with them in his own speakers. Enjoy your speakers. Best regards Moray James.
 
Last edited:
I'm really quite pleased with mine for now and might look at the driver upgrades sometime down the road. These are my "keeper" speakers:music:

Mike
 
Moray,

Thank you very much for the advice. This is excellent stuff. I'm assuming that the Titanium midrange diaphragm you are referring to is the Klipsch midrange diaphragm, right? Everything else is in tip-top shape with the cabinets, gaskets and drivers including the passive radiators.

After the midrange diaphragms, I'll tackle the inductors in the crossovers.
 
Rich: that`s right only Klipsch have a Ti mid diaphragm available. Bob C has the Ti tweeter diaphragms which are excellent value and performance. Sounds like you are good to go for the most part. Do consider the cabinet brace work and the stands both make a substantial difference. Best regards Moray James.
 
So I've performed the Crites crossover and Titanium tweeter diaphragm upgrades on my Forte II's and I am extremely pleased with the results. The sound really does improve as the new caps burn in. I also upgraded the internal wiring and 5-way binding posts to Pomona 3770-x Gold-plated Copper binding posts. Would the next logical upgrade be the midrange diaphragms? What about Bob Crites' autoformers? I've read SET12's thread on upgrading his Forte I's, and I just don't want to spend the kind of money for exotic caps and inductors.

Ti mids would be a great next step. In each of the different speakers into which I have installed these I have felt the improvement was far more than what I experienced with the Ti tweeters alone. I would also suggest that you consider some internal brace work for your Forte. Inexpensive to do past your real investment of time and most rewarding as is getting the speakers up on stands to the correct height. Past that simple things like making sure there are no small holes in your passive suspensions which you can easily patch with a little dab of rubber cement for craft work. Splurge and buy some fresh thin closed cell foam weather stripping and make all fresh gaskets for the horns woofer passive and terminal cup. Make sure all your mounting screws are nice and tight any which are stripped or won`t tighten up you can easily fix with a couple of tooth pick ends and a blob of white wood glue. If you want another simple upgrade then snip off the spade connectors at your drivers and hard solder the wires directly to the terminal lugs for a nice boost in the sound. Then spend some time playing with the speaker positioning in your room and see if you can place them as symetrically as you can in terms of corners and adjacent walls. These small changes can make a world of difference all by themselves.
I think the next major improvement that can be made on a restrained budget would be to replace the large inductor in the woofer section with at least a 14 gauge air core solid wire inductor. This won`t cost a lot but it will have a significant impact. After that You might consider Bob`s larger auto transformers, I will let SET 12 comment on them as he has had experience with them in his own speakers. Enjoy your speakers. Best regards Moray James.

Before I get into this, Morays comments are very true, symmetrical listening, full corners and so on. Without this I get lateral suck out in my imaging not nearly as well defined in space, as my lateral imaging can extend 10ft to the left and right of each speaker. But again this is only possible with speaker mods and associated electronics that are capable as well. I realize that not everyone has a desire for this but it just goes to show what a Forte is capable with mods and gear that has the same capability.

The Pomona binding posts are first rate for me, very solid and very well made they are expensive but worth every penny.

The Klipsch Ti mids are worth every penny but they are $165/pair if you can get them as some people have been refused I'm told as Klipsch says they are replacements for their speakers with Ti drivers and not for DIYers mods. Obviously a few of us have ignored the Klipsch statement and very happily so!

My experience with the Crites Autotransformers is they have about a 50% larger core. What that does is give a better sense of space and a greater sense of ease, better bandwidth than the stock but with the C-Core Autotransformers that I'm using they have perhaps 50% more core yet and substantially more iron. They have an even greater sense of ease and more space in every direction more so than the Crites, yet the C-Cores come across as even more natural in combination with the Ti Mids its heaven.

If I had a choice between new autotransformers like the Crites and new Air Core inductors like Solens, I'd take the Solens hands down. The Hysteresis distortion of the Iron Core Inductor IMO seems effect the entire range of the speaker. If one has associated gear that has the capability of wide, deep sound stages. Listening to stock speaker is like watching a home 8mm movie mostly between the speakers while large Air-Cores are capable of expanding the listening width as much as a factor of 3X and images are literally life size. Believe me it freaks people right out when they hear this its an easy demo with a stock pair of Fortes that I have here. But keep in mind not all electronics have this capability but when they do and you use a set of speakers that can take advantage of the electronics startling things happen.

Still though the large Air-Cores used for the woofers will increase the sense of foundation in a wider range of frequencies as an Iron Core seems to have a very narrow range of foundation.

I'd go with Solen 12AWG's for a start at $52.52/each they could be mounted using non magnetic materials on an inside side wall if need be.

http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_catalogue.php?pageNum_cms_catalogue=2&niveau1=1&niveau2=4&niveau3=69&origniveau=/pub/cms_nf_catalogue_niveau3.php?q=Jm5pdmVhdTE9MSZuaXZlYXUyPTQmc2VjdGlvbj0yJnNvdXNfc2VjdGlvbj00JmZ0PW5m&totalRows_cms_catalogue=48&niveau1=1&niveau2=4&niveau3=69&niveau4=&totalRows_cms_catalogue=48&niveau1=1&niveau2=4&niveau3=69&niveau4=

The 10AWG Solens are $86.74 each so there is a savings with 12AWG which is regarded as the true High Performance staring point according to North Creek.

For one last comment on inductors and not mine BTW, and this is so true!

From here http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/38976.aspx?PageIndex=4

DeanG
Top 10 Contributor
Joined on 02-03-2000
Posts 17,775


Re: Iron-core versus air-core woofer inductor intermod test.

Reply Contact
I didn't expect to ever come back to this thread again, but have had a surprising experience. I finished my ALKs a few days ago, and as part of the build I went with some 10AWG Solen air cores which I mounted on separate boards because of their size. The DCR of the 10AWG air cores is .16, the same as the Erse Super Q steel laminates I've been using from Parts Express. FWIW, there's a pretty big difference in the bass. After an hour or so of listening I put some Super Q's into the circuit to see what it would sound like, and though still very good, sounded lean in comparison, and not nearly as full bodied and tight as the air cores. I've had the beasts laying around for a long time, and I'm glad I finally found use for them. I didn't expect to hear a difference, wasn't even listening for it, but it was pretty obvious.

His reaction is the same as mine only I feel its likely that the North Creeks are better yet due to their vacuum Varnish process and no micro fractures due to high tension winding.

Still as I said I'd take cheaper Solen Air Cores over any Iron Core.

Don't think the tweeters wouldn't benefit from large cores ?

Better think again, small AWG's appear to sound lean just as well. My .16mH 8AWG's are now $55 each 10AWG would be $32 the performance is as much as the Ti Tweeter itself IMO. After a try out with a 14AWG Litz I went back to the North Creek and regardless of the better specs of the Litz the North Creek with the Ti Tweeters was far more natural with fuller body and I haven't even looked back! Just no comparison.

While caps all have a signature and some better than others the inductors give more in return IMO for the investment. They are just to taken for granted.

SET12
 
Wow...As a relatively new Forte owner, I appreciate all of the tips on improving this already great speaker. I'm laid off so I'm struggling just to keep mine but I did recap them as soon as I got them. I sold a little pair of Optimus speakers that I picked up at the same garage sale where I found the Fortes. They paid for my recap. I had a lot of work in cleaning the cabs up and pulling all of the cat hair out of the grills. They had been stored in a big garage. They look great now and are the nicest speakers that I have owned....especially for the $200 that I have in them. ;). Getting them up about 10" or so does help a lot. This forum is a wealth of info and inspiration that is greatly appreciated.
 
Wow...As a relatively new Forte owner, I appreciate all of the tips on improving this already great speaker. I'm laid off so I'm struggling just to keep mine but I did recap them as soon as I got them. I sold a little pair of Optimus speakers that I picked up at the same garage sale where I found the Fortes. They paid for my recap. I had a lot of work in cleaning the cabs up and pulling all of the cat hair out of the grills. They had been stored in a big garage. They look great now and are the nicest speakers that I have owned....especially for the $200 that I have in them. ;). Getting them up about 10" or so does help a lot. This forum is a wealth of info and inspiration that is greatly appreciated.

Glad your enjoying your Fortes since you mentioned you were new to Fortes I have a monster thread of them and the Mods I have done here if you care to read about the possibilities of what is possible which is far more than I ever imagined.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159340


For some photo's of what can be done to networks see this page

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159340&page=12

Enjoy :thmbsp:

SET12
 
Back
Top Bottom