• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Got me a free pair of old ugly Altec Speakers

70rtconv

Active Member
Got these for free. :banana: Anyone care to take a guess what they are from the picture. :D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2745.jpg
    IMG_2745.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 249
Register to hide this ad
Bingo....I had a feeling that the hint will give it away.

Anyone with experience on the 605s? Love to hear your impression on these speakers. Mines are 605Bs.
 
I had 605As for many years, in Barzilay cabinets. Bass was robust; deep and clean but with a bit of a bump. Midrange was quite lifelike with excellent vocal reproduction though the mids were a little mellower than that from other Altecs that crossed to the woofer lower. Highs were clean but not extended, a little shy. Clarity and dynamics were also excellent and the speakers played very loud with little distress and needed little power to do so. No. harshness or "zippyness"; no "earwire"---the affect that someone is twisting a wire in your ear. Tonal balance was smooth but on the warm side.

In the right room and with certain material they'd do the deep, wrap around soundstage thing and sound would appear to be coming from far behind the speakers and from far to the sides of them as well, some sounds even appearing next to me. Spooky. On older RCA Elvis recordings it sometimes sounded like Elvis was right in the room.

All in all I think they were VERY good speakers; not perfect but very pleasing.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed impression on the 605s, Tom. Sounds like I really lucked out with these freebies. Apparently, these speakers were originally used in Decca Records studio in NY and were sold to a studio engineer when the studio closed and moved to L.A.
 
Thanks, everyone.

These speakers will go well with my other personal scroe of the year - H/K Citation II tube amp for $50.

It has been a good year for me so far. :music:
 
Yep....good memory!!! Still have to pinch myself each time to remind me how lucky I was to get that amp.
 
Heh, hard to forget missing a deal like that one. However, all is forgiven now that I have one of my own. I did pay a little more for it, but got the OEM tubes in as new condition for the extra dough....
 
Yeah..I felt kinda bad with snatching that one from your own backyard.....:yes:

Glad to hear that you were able to get one for yourself. It's definitely one to own for any tube amp collector.

Enjoy :music: !!
 
Back
Top Bottom