• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Grado Hum Database

hpsenicka said:
You may wish to experiment by increasing or decreasing the number of twists in each pair of wires.....

FYI ,CAT5 network cables use relatively loose, and somewhat irregular twists... twisting the wires too tight may not be optimal.

Good point, Cat 5 does use 4 different twist rates to minimize/eliminate any crosstalk or other interference. I one had a cable (factory made) that was wired so I was using on pair, and one strand each from 2 other pairs. It acted as a brake on the internet speeds, and another longer cable I mad up using it as my pattern completely stopped any internet communication...
 
Grado Hum Database (PS-X5)

Sony PS-X5, Sumiko HS12 Headshell, Grado Prestige Green - no hum.
Also - looks like the XLS was removed from the previously mentioned website.
Cheers...
gearfreak
 
Grado Hum Db

Technics SLD202 and Grado black

Slight hum at rest

Increasing hum as tonearm approaches center.

Thanks for posting this database - Had I known the connection between Grado hum and DD-TT's I would bought something different.

Regards,
Geoff
 
Twenty20Man said:
Thorens 145 MkII , Grado black, after i replaced the TT stock interconnects..No Hum

Thorens TD-145, Grado Black. Hums like Robert Goulet singing the Star Spangled Banner.

Twenty20Man? What did you use to replace the interconnects with?
 
pmsummer said:
Thorens TD-145, Grado Black. Hums like Robert Goulet singing the Star Spangled Banner.

Twenty20Man? What did you use to replace the interconnects with?

I used video cables from a thread I found on here, I cut the rca's off one end soldered them in , becareful and mark everything and you will be ok. makes a big difference

this is the link

http://starlink-dss.com/Component.htm
 
Twenty20Man said:
I used video cables from a thread I found on here, I cut the rca's off one end soldered them in , becareful and mark everything and you will be ok. makes a big difference

this is the link

http://starlink-dss.com/Component.htm

Why video cable? Better shielding, I guess? Did you strip away the third connect?

I'm considering adding an RCA jack plate on the back panel, and then running just a 6" section of the old cable to the backside of the plate. That will give me lots of flexibility on interconnects.

248-132m.jpg
 
Thorens TD-145 with Shure M97xE. Hums loudly enough that my wife notices it. It's the Thorens.
 
Kenwood KD500, Infinity Black Widow arm, Grado Reference Platinum, low-level hum that is not audible while playing a record.
 
Thorens TD-165 / Grado Green
Slight Hum. Twisting L&R cartridge wire pairs helped. I can not hear the hum while playing a record. If I ever try motor shielding I will update.
 
Hi,

I use Grado blacks and Greens all the time.

Thorens 166 MK II Green
Garrard Model A Black
Yamaha YP-211 Green
AR-XA Black

No Hum at all.

John:music:
 
Back
Top Bottom