• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grado Hum Database

Seeing this thread come up again reminds me to post. Pro-ject 1.2 hums, Technics SL-1210 MkII and SL1700 MkII no hum, Goldring 1.2 (Rega P2 clone) hums.
 
Oracle alexandria with a Grado Sonata wood bodied cartridge... no hum. The alexandria uses a DC motor setup and outboard power supply.

Evan
 
Grado Green, modified with a Van Alstine Longhorn bar, on stock AR XA -- hum. It's barely noticeable at the start of the record and gets worse as the stylus approaches the inner grooves.

Same Grado Green on a Technics SL-230 -- no hum. That's why I bought the Technics.
 
Hum

No Hum Anywhere On The Record Surface.thorens Td160super With A Linn Basic Plus Arm And A Gold Catridge. Good Luck With Your Survey, Michael
 
Harman/Kardon T40 with Grado Green. Hum is noticeable even at lower (but not very low) volumes, and it increases intensity the closer the tonearm gets to the center of the record.

Looks like the Grado carts have good results on Technics SL tables. That's my next deck.
 
grado black dual 1209 hums

yep, a black hums on my dual 1209, is louder near the end of the record. sadly it is a great sounding cartridge, any suggestions on a similar sound sans hum?
 
yep, a black hums on my dual 1209, is louder near the end of the record. sadly it is a great sounding cartridge, any suggestions on a similar sound sans hum?

have you tried twisting the stereo pair headshell to cart wires (Twisted pairs)? This removed my hum on my TT with a Grado black.
 
Grado Prestige Blue. Pioneer PL 300 - Yes, really pronounced, seemingly worse when closer to the motor. Hitachi PS-45 - also present, but not as much. Russco Studio Pro B (with the Bodine AC hysteresis motor) - less than on the other two. I recently noticed, however, that when pressing on the stylus with a cleaning brush, the hum gets worse. I'm pretty sure that it does the same when dropped onto a record.

I'm not sure if I'd get another one. It scarcely seems possible that over the entire length of the tonearm wiring, a few twists at either end is going to cancel out all that much hum. If these things are that sensitive, I won't bother with them again.
 
Grado Prestige Green on Pioneer PL-4. No hum whatsoever. My first Grado actually and I'm rather impressed. Am I correct that the cart is upgradable with any stylus in the color series? And many thanks to Louie for this thread.
 
Yup, the stylus will make it better. But, it won't be say a native Grado Gold or Silver, even with their stylus. Seems to me (having fooled with the 4 Grados I own), that the stylus is about 1/2 or 2/3 of the range improvement. The remainder comes from the selected bodies as they work up the line.
 
Back
Top Bottom