• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Grado Hum Database

VPI HW19 III, Souther Tri-Quartz arm and Grado MCZ - absolutely no hum. Been running this combination for 12 years and on all phono stages there has been no hum. Speakers have changed from 84dBw to 94dBw.
 
I have a Technics SL-1210MK5, and a Grado Red Prestige, and I get hum. Stronger in the right channel than the left.

Installing an input shorted/grounded headshell removes the hum, so it's definitely the cartridge assembly.

Anyone else have this setup and get hum?

Grado is willing to service the cartridge, no questions.

I have a Shure M44-7 that I could mount to the same headshell and check, but I have not.
 
audio-technica AT-PL120 with Grado Gold: moderate hum at edge, stronger toward center
 
Hum...

I forgot to mention, the hum is constant whether there is a record playing or the player is idle (no stylus contact). It does not change at all in intensity.
 
Grado Black on Technics SL-2000, no hum. Oppps, sorry. I failed to remember that I previously noted this. Tonight I did a complete test, I did notice some slight hum when the arm was over the spindle, but this is way past where the record ends. I also got fooled by my sub-woofer, it was putting out a low hum that I thought was coming from the Technics and it wasn't until I had turned off the Technics, that I was able to notice the (very low) hum was coming from the sub-woofer.
 
Grado Z2+ / Pro-ject 6.1-Annoying Hum, start to finish.

Grado Z2+ / Luxman PD264-Slight Hum near end of play, barely noticeable.

Dave
 
Grado green on a stock sansui fr-4060 , slight hum when not playing
but can't hear it when playing . Loudest in tone arm rest and start of record , less toward center ?
 
Original model Pioneer PL-570 with Grado F1+ = no hum even with volume turned up way past the comfort zone.

Thorens TD-166 with Pioneer tonearm = no hum noticeable except at very high listening levels. Not audible at normal levels.

DUAL 1019 - Noticable hum means no Grado here. The 1019 has a large and strong AC motor, of course. The Pickering stays on this one.

I've found that on tonearms with the "universal" or SME-type removable headshell that the headshell itself makes a difference in the degree the Grado will hum. Not all headshells are created equal. Some seem to have contact pins that are a bit shorter than normal and don't contact the pins in the tonearm as well as they should. A better quality headshell with pins that meet spec does make the "Grado hum" less noticable, at least with the Pioneer tonearm on my Thorens.
 
Tried a Grado M+ with new Prestige Gold stylus on my new Technics 1210. There is a hum, audible at about the 10 o'clock position on the volume dial. The hum dissipates as the tonearm moved toward the spindle. With any other cartridge on this table, no hum.

do the new stylus fit and do you think it was an upgrade over the old sound ? I have an XT+ and am waiting on a green stylus to arrive but would like to think about a gold stylus for the green next year maybe ?
cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom