• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harman Kardon 330C blowing fuses

These measurements were taken with the amp powered up using a DBT.
Emit Col Base
Q413--------- 6.73vdc 7.32vdc 6.81vdc
Q415______ 8.76vdc 9.35vdc 9.44vdc
Q417______ 8.80vdc 9.39vdc 8.80vdc
Q419______ -10.86vdc 7.47vdc -10.89vdc
 
Last edited:
q413 appears to be fitted wrong . collector should be same as q419 base .
base to emitter voltages of all transistors are wacky . they should read approx 600mv difference .
both outputs bases are very high . they should be about 600mv .
rail voltages are very low so something is pulling that down .
q413 base should be negative .

could you post same voltages for the good channel to make this easier and less chance of errors in diagnosing .
 
This is the way I listed these and the computer did it's own thing.
Emit Col Base
Q413------- 6.73vdc 7.32vdc 6.81vdc
Q415____ 8.76vdc 9.35vdc 9.44vdc
Q417____ 8.80vdc 9.39vdc 8.80vdc
q419------- -10.86 7.47vdc -10.83vdc
 
OK. When I took those last readings, I had the receiver hooked up to speakers . I unhooked the speakers and took a new set of measurements for both sides of the board.

Left (Good) Channel Right Channel

Emit Col Base Emit Col Base
Q414 -.036vdc -13.89vdc -.459vdc Q413 11.71vdc -13.16vdc 11.09vdc
Q416 -.023vdc 13.80vdc .396vdc Q415 13.12vdc 13.75vdc 13.78vdc
Q418 -.035vdc 13.80vdc .023vdc Q417 12.44vdc 13.80vdc 13.13vdc
Q420 -13.81vdc -.028vdc -13.80vdc Q419 -13.17vdc 12.02vdc -13.81
 
Q414 E -.036vdc C-13.89vdc B -.459vdc
Q416 E -.023vdc C13.80vdc B .396vdc
Q418 E -.035vdc C13.80vdc B .023vdc
Q420 E -13.81vdc C-.028vdc B -13.80vdc

Q413 E 11.71vdc C-13.16vdc B 11.09vdc
Q415 E 13.12vdc C13.75vdc B 13.78vdc
Q417 E 12.44vdc C13.80vdc B 13.13vdc
Q419 E -13.17vdc C12.02vdc B -13.81
 
Last edited:
Q407 E -14.06vdc C 11.26vdc B -13.49vdc
Q409 E 13.98vdc C 13.98vdc B 13.40vdc
Q421 E 11.20vdc C 13.90vdc B .001vdc

Q408 E -13.89vdc C .491vdc B -13.37
Q410 E 13.64vdc C .416vdc B .462vdc
Q422 E -.476vdc C .408vdc B .462
 
looking like d409 is bad or bad solder etc .. might be in backwards but i am not sure about that . best test it . should have approx 1.2v across it on diode test
 
I found a broken trace that connected the base of Q421 to D409. When I fixed that connection, I can now turn the 330C on , without DBT, and not blow the fuses. However, when I hook up the speakers and press the speaker button to "on", the DBT glows bright indicating a short. I measured the VDC at the speaker terminals and get a reading of .001vdc on the left side and 21.30vdc on the right side. I took new readings for Q413, 415, 417, and 419 since fixing the broken trace.

Q413 E 20.99vdc C -22.23vdc B 20.33vdc
Q415 E 21.93vdc C 22.93vdc B 22.55vdc
Q417 E -21.83 C 22.91vdc B 20.33vdc
Q419 E -22.93vdc C 21.15vdc B 20.33vdc
 
Q414 E -.036vdc C-13.89vdc B -.459vdc
Q416 E -.023vdc C13.80vdc B .396vdc
Q418 E -.035vdc C13.80vdc B .023vdc
Q420 E -13.81vdc C-.028vdc B -13.80vdc

Q413 E 20.99vdc C -22.23vdc B 20.33vdc
Q415 E 21.93vdc C 22.93vdc B 22.55vdc
Q417 E -21.83 C 22.91vdc B 20.33vdc
Q419 E -22.93vdc C 21.15vdc B 20.33vdc

i put readings together to make it easier .
 
q413 appears in wrong or your readings are wrong ...
odd thing is q417 base is same voltage as q413 q415 base ... :idea:
 
I did a retest on q413, q415 and q417 with basically the same results. I also did a new test on the left side of the board with new results.

Q414 E -20.77vdc C -22.01vdc B -21.44vdc
Q416 E -20.19vdc C 22.62vdc B-19.50vdc
Q418 E 20.60vdc C 22.68vdc B-20.23
Q420 E -22.74vdc C -19.80vdc B -21.16
 
Back
Top Bottom