• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HPM-100 -vs- ADS L-810

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charivari said:
Speaker comparisons belong in the speaker forum. The suggestion to move this thread to equipment reviews would only serve to hide the results a bit.

Agreed! I've been following this thread, well done on all the participants part! I run a pair of HPM 60s in a system, and I'm not ashamed or threatened by this thread.
 
Squidward said:
I run a pair of HPM 60s in a system, and I'm not ashamed or threatened by this thread.

Nor should you be.

One thing I found interesting was the objection to our findings and multiple inquiries as to if the speakers were functioning properly when others had the same experience and JP who provided the speakers had tested them, heard other HPM models that sounded similar and heard these particular speakers in many settings. No reason to take offence to others findings. If people started bashing Maggies I would be secretly happy as I might be able to pick up more for a little more reasonable. :para: It was 4 peoples opinion based on one very un scientific test. Take it for what it is. If you like them it should not matter a hill of beans if someone else does or not.

I do appreciate being able to give my candid and honest opinion without the backlash of nastiness. If we can't speak our minds here what's the point in any of this.
 
kfa888 said:
.....
One thing I found interesting was the objection to our findings and multiple inquiries as to if the speakers were functioning properly when others had the same experience and JP who provided the speakers had tested them, heard other HPM models that sounded similar and heard these particular speakers in many settings. No reason to take offence to others findings. If people started bashing Maggies I would be secretly happy as I might be able to pick up more for a little more reasonable. :para: It was 4 peoples opinion based on one very un scientific test. Take it for what it is. If you like them it should not matter a hill of beans if someone else does or not.

I do appreciate being able to give my candid and honest opinion without the backlash of nastiness. If we can't speak our minds here what's the point in any of this.
alright, who hi-jacked Kelly's account, thats way too lucid for him.
 
Yeah, those maggies really suck, don't they? ;) But they're still way better than my speakers! :p: I guess I'm just a masochist. I also rather enjoy Vogon poetry.

I'll also vote for keeping the thread here. Not because I care either way, but because I am neither Democrat nor Republican, but a populist. I just go wherever the latest wind blows and make the biggest number even bigger!

8-3. No, 8-2 because I can't count either.

Hey - was that a hanging chad?? 8-1!! :banana:

I too thought this thread was at least mostly civil. At least no one said "Your speakers are great - but YOU suck!! :D "
 
dingus said:
alright, who hi-jacked Kelly's account, thats way too lucid for him.
It's a bit like an equinox; it happens twice per year. Enjoy that post, another won't come along until fall.

- JP
 
tentoze said:
What I've gathered to this point:

1) Some people got together and listened to some different sets of speakers.
2) None of the people cared for one of the sets. The reasons have been well detailed and are no doubt genuine opinions based on a specific listening experience.
3) Said speakers are well-regarded by others on AK, who take exception to those who universally disliked said speakers in this listening experience.

Conclusions I draw here:

- Everyone hears differently, and everyone is entitiled to like what they like
- No one on either side is going to have their opinion changed by this discussion
- Vive le' difference
- Adjourn to respective listening environments and listen to some music

I think the point of confusion was that two different groups compared the two sets of loudspeakers in the thread title. Within each group, there was at least a fairly strong agreement, but each group came up with very different results. I guess this is why more scientific testing insists on repeatable results from a few independant tests before any conclusions are drawn. (Even though the media jumps on it as soon as the results of one test are done.)

I don't think anyone got bent out of shape about any of this, though that's the usual expectation. But this is AK, and we're far from the usual. It was just a point of curiosity to me.
 
john_w said:
I think the point of confusion was that two different groups compared the two sets of loudspeakers in the thread title. Within each group, there was at least a fairly strong agreement, but each group came up with very different results. I guess this is why more scientific testing insists on repeatable results from a few independant tests before any conclusions are drawn.

Good point John but at least both groups agreed the speakers were not the world beaters that they had
apeard to be so strongly by many accounts and should now at least make people check them out instead
of just figuring they were going to be great speakers for them.
 
Kegger said:
Good point John but at least both groups agreed the speakers were not the world beaters that they had
apeard to be so strongly by many accounts and should now at least make people check them out instead
of just figuring they were going to be great speakers for them.

Very true. I think that's the ultimate conclusion we can draw from all this.
 
LOL I'll put my CV's up against your ADS L-810's :yes: I just gotta figure out how to get two 4+ feet tall and 100lb speakers and 200lbs of amps to WA ;)

I have already heard them against HPM 100's, I USED to own a pair of the HPM 100's
 
THOR said:
LOL I'll put my CV's up against your ADS L-810's :yes: I just gotta figure out how to get two 4+ feet tall and 100lb speakers and 200lbs of amps to WA ;)

I have already heard them against HPM 100's, I USED to own a pair of the HPM 100's

I bet the CV's win in SPL and the ADS in sound qualitiy.
 
THOR said:
LOL I'll put my CV's up against your ADS L-810's :yes: I just gotta figure out how to get two 4+ feet tall and 100lb speakers and 200lbs of amps to WA ;)

I have already heard them against HPM 100's, I USED to own a pair of the HPM 100's

Well, as long as you're going to do THAT I'll put my Nautilus 803's up against 'em!

Nobody said we have to compare speakers in the same size and market classification, right?? ;)
 
THOR said:
LOL I'll put my CV's up against your ADS L-810's :yes: I just gotta figure out how to get two 4+ feet tall and 100lb speakers and 200lbs of amps to WA ;)
A better comparison would probably be made between your CVs and the AR-9s. It'd be fun to do a three-way comparison between the AR-9s, your CVs, and my Quantum 2s as they're all fairly similar in size.

THOR said:
I have already heard them against HPM 100's, I USED to own a pair of the HPM 100's
Soon I hope to be able to say the same thing, that "I USED to own a pair." Since this comparison, I've managed to hear another pair of later 200 watt rating HPM-100s at a fairly local second hand store that quite often has several quality pieces of vintage audio. This pair was being powered with a very nice Pioneer SX-1250 with vinyl as a source. Guess what? They sounded even worse than my pair, but in a different setting would probably sound like pair. So, now I am certain beyond any reasonable or even unreasonable doubt (though some will always fervently argue otherwise) that my HPM-100s were representative of the model.

- JP
 
The HPM's were very nice speakers, I would have been very happy with them IF I didn't already own my CV's and a pair of Altec Lansing Model 15's.

I have never heard AR9's (me likes those) or the ADS's so I will not be like other folks in the SPEAKER forums like Kegger (hilarious you have a name like kegger but play the audiofool so well, if you truly were a Kegger you would worship at the base of my speakers ;) ) and kfa888 who make comments about speakers they have never seen or heard. I will say I would put mine up against anyone (cept TA's Carver Amazings) but I won't make statements about who will sound better, maybe louder ;)

But for jackholes with no experience of either to go and make statements like "I bet the CV's win in SPL and the ADS in sound qualitiy." is quite assinine ;)

I can compare HPM 100's to my other speakers BECAUSE I OWNED A PAIR AND LISTENED TO THEM. What a concept huh?

Some of you armchair speakerphiles should give it a try ;)
 
THOR said:
The HPM's were very nice speakers, I would have been very happy with them IF I didn't already own my CV's and a pair of Altec Lansing Model 15's.

I have never heard AR9's (me likes those) or the ADS's so I will not be like other folks in the SPEAKER forums like Kegger (hilarious you have a name like kegger but play the audiofool so well, if you truly were a Kegger you would worship at the base of my speakers ;) ) and kfa888 who make comments about speakers they have never seen or heard. I will say I would put mine up against anyone (cept TA's Carver Amazings) but I won't make statements about who will sound better, maybe louder ;)

But for jackholes with no experience of either to go and make statements like "I bet the CV's win in SPL and the ADS in sound qualitiy." is quite assinine ;)

I can compare HPM 100's to my other speakers BECAUSE I OWNED A PAIR AND LISTENED TO THEM. What a concept huh?

Some of you armchair speakerphiles should give it a try ;)

Gee, I guess I fired you up with my guess. This jackhole (thanks for the name calling) has plenty of experience with CV and had a rare set of PD-9's that have a very similar 15" woofer and similar other components. No it is not the mighty Thor speaker but I bet it does not sound very far off as most CV speakers I have hear have a very similar sound, kind of PA like to me. It was just a guess from the sampling of ADS and CV's I have heard. If your going to throw something out for comparison be prepared to have your sound scrutinized and maybe not liked. I personally hated the HPM-100's, not fond of really any CV I have heard and loved the ADS. I'll just crawl back into my jackhole and mumble asinine stuff to myself. I would have said I was sorry for offending until you started the name calling now I could care less.

- Oh, you spelled asinine wrong which is humorous in itself.
 

Attachments

  • boom.jpg
    boom.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 23
  • mids.jpg
    mids.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 8
  • woofer.jpg
    woofer.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 10
  • lable.jpg
    lable.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 6
  • panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom