• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HPM-100 -vs- ADS L-810

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fast_Eddie said:
A hearty hats off to all involved. 15 pages of pretty civil discourse that slayed a bit of a holy cow on this site.

I think this thread has served its purpose and I propose we move on and leave it in this impressive state. I fear that any further discussion could degenerate.

Ed

Damn! Am I smart or what!
 
THOR said:
I have never heard AR9's (me likes those) or the ADS's so I will not be like other folks in the SPEAKER forums like Kegger (hilarious you have a name like kegger but play the audiofool so well, if you truly were a Kegger you would worship at the base of my speakers ;) ) and kfa888 who make comments about speakers they have never seen or heard. I will say I would put mine up against anyone (cept TA's Carver Amazings) but I won't make statements about who will sound better, maybe louder ;)

But for jackholes with no experience of either to go and make statements like "I bet the CV's win in SPL and the ADS in sound qualitiy." is quite assinine ;)

I can compare HPM 100's to my other speakers BECAUSE I OWNED A PAIR AND LISTENED TO THEM. What a concept huh?

Some of you armchair speakerphiles should give it a try ;)

Very interesting there MR THOR! Did someone rattle your cage? You know nothing about me, what I own
or what I have owned or what I like either! Just to give you a CLUE! I do own 3 pairs of CV's and have owned
many plus like them! I also never put you or your speakers down! I thought that KFA's comment was just the
perfect reaction to your boastful remarks. My feelings on CV are pretty much the same though if you must
know. I use to use my CV's all the time D9's,D7's,D5's,D3's among a few others, more so when I use to DJ but
still own D9 and D3 and like them when I want to rock out, but for more refined listening I prefer the ADS L880
that I now have (3) pairs of! They are easier on the ears and image much better then MY CV's not to mention
just the shear quality of music they provide is a step up from MY CV's and any other CV's I have heard. I can
only Guess what your's sound like and from my education with speakers and there designs I could only have
come to the conclusion that yours look to have different tweeters (probably better then I've heard in a CV) with
more then likely a better designed Xover and the cabinet I'm sure much more dead sounding than any CV I've
heard which would be a good thing, the mids look very much early CV'ish and the woofers look to be pretty
simular but I'll bet they are better to. So MY estimation of your CV's would be they are more then likely much
better sounding then any CV I've heard and would probably really enjoy the sound of them. I do like those!

But If I had to venture a guess as to the ADS sound and your CV's I would think the ADS would produce more
of an audiophile type sound, clean tight bass, smooth mids with extended crisp highs but would have a much
smaller sound presence to them comparred to your big CV's which I would assume have a thounderous bass
with a somewhat forward midrange and overall pretty darn good top end with the ADS edging out the big CV on
exact image placement but the CV's providing a bigger image. Someone could probably pick either of them to
be there favorite speakers given there room/gear/sound preference. You may not like the sound of the ADS as
much, with I would assume it's more linear output. Without listening to both one can only assume, and you can
see what happens when one assumes!

Take care Big Guy!
 
THOR said:
LOL I'll put my CV's up against your ADS L-810's :yes: I just gotta figure out how to get two 4+ feet tall and 100lb speakers and 200lbs of amps to WA ;)

I have already heard them against HPM 100's, I USED to own a pair of the HPM 100's
i'd love it, just to hear and see those beauties in person. i would think that your CV's are a step up from the L-810, so i wouldnt expect much of a competition. i agree with JP, put them up against the AR-9's and i think we have an interesting comparison. my only stipulation would be no MP3's.
 
dingus said:
i'd love it, just to hear and see those beauties in person. i would think that your CV's are a step up from the L-810, so i wouldnt expect much of a competition. i agree with JP, put them up against the AR-9's and i think we have an interesting comparison. my only stipulation would be no MP3's.
Boy do I ever agree on that one! :yes:










(looks around for Thor)
 
kfa888 said:
Gee, I guess I fired you up with my guess. This jackhole (thanks for the name calling) has plenty of experience with CV and had a rare set of PD-9's that have a very similar 15" woofer and similar other components. No it is not the mighty Thor speaker but I bet it does not sound very far off as most CV speakers I have hear have a very similar sound, kind of PA like to me. It was just a guess from the sampling of ADS and CV's I have heard. If your going to throw something out for comparison be prepared to have your sound scrutinized and maybe not liked. I personally hated the HPM-100's, not fond of really any CV I have heard and loved the ADS. I'll just crawl back into my jackhole and mumble asinine stuff to myself. I would have said I was sorry for offending until you started the name calling now I could care less.

- Oh, you spelled asinine wrong which is humorous in itself.

LOL you must be blind not, one component of those CV's in your pictures looks remotely like mine bullet tweeters????, accordian edge woofers???, oh yeah and the obvious fact that mine have two sets of woofers and have seperate binding posts to be bi-amped. Oh but wait they are both made by CV, both have red surrounds, so they must sound the same????

I posted in this thread as a joke since I had heard thru the grapevine that there was bunch of nonsense going on in the speaker forums. Guess the rumors are right ;)
 
Kegger said:
Very interesting there MR THOR! Did someone rattle your cage? You know nothing about me, what I own
or what I have owned or what I like either! Just to give you a CLUE! I do own 3 pairs of CV's and have owned
many plus like them! I also never put you or your speakers down! I thought that KFA's comment was just the
perfect reaction to your boastful remarks. My feelings on CV are pretty much the same though if you must
know. I use to use my CV's all the time D9's,D7's,D5's,D3's among a few others, more so when I use to DJ but
still own D9 and D3 and like them when I want to rock out, but for more refined listening I prefer the ADS L880
that I now have (3) pairs of! They are easier on the ears and image much better then MY CV's not to mention
just the shear quality of music they provide is a step up from MY CV's and any other CV's I have heard. I can
only Guess what your's sound like and from my education with speakers and there designs I could only have
come to the conclusion that yours look to have different tweeters (probably better then I've heard in a CV) with
more then likely a better designed Xover and the cabinet I'm sure much more dead sounding than any CV I've
heard which would be a good thing, the mids look very much early CV'ish and the woofers look to be pretty
simular but I'll bet they are better to. So MY estimation of your CV's would be they are more then likely much
better sounding then any CV I've heard and would probably really enjoy the sound of them. I do like those!

But If I had to venture a guess as to the ADS sound and your CV's I would think the ADS would produce more
of an audiophile type sound, clean tight bass, smooth mids with extended crisp highs but would have a much
smaller sound presence to them comparred to your big CV's which I would assume have a thounderous bass
with a somewhat forward midrange and overall pretty darn good top end with the ADS edging out the big CV on
exact image placement but the CV's providing a bigger image. Someone could probably pick either of them to
be there favorite speakers given there room/gear/sound preference. You may not like the sound of the ADS as
much, with I would assume it's more linear output. Without listening to both one can only assume, and you can
see what happens when one assumes!

Take care Big Guy!

Now Kegger that was a good statement. I would not have said anything to a well theorized comment like that. Unlike the SPL comment you agreed with earlier ;)

If all I do is help folks realize generalizations and put downs of gear are bad, then my work here is done :)
 
dingus said:
i'd love it, just to hear and see those beauties in person. i would think that your CV's are a step up from the L-810, so i wouldnt expect much of a competition. i agree with JP, put them up against the AR-9's and i think we have an interesting comparison. my only stipulation would be no MP3's.


MP3's fit my laziness ;) Plus after a few too many it is much easier to manipulate the winamp playlist than to try and load and unload CD's, not to mentions TT and tapes :yikes:

A nice shootout would be the CV 1215's, the AR9's and Punkers Ohm's (not sure the model) better yet let's just all put them together and crank the volume :rockon:
 
THOR said:
A nice shootout would be the CV 1215's, the AR9's and Punkers Ohm's (not sure the model) better yet let's just all put them together and crank the volume :rockon:

I think Punker sold those Ohm's at last year's fest, unless he had two pairs?
And those were Ohm I's.


Retro
 
THOR said:
I posted in this thread as a joke since I had heard thru the grapevine that there was bunch of nonsense going on in the speaker forums. Guess the rumors are right ;)
Then perhaps this thread should be locked before more "nonsense" occurs. (To which, the speaker forum has actually made quite a bit of progress as of late. People are able to express their views fairly and personal attacks are, or at least were, largely absent. Hopefully this "nonsense" will continue and make this forum all the better.) This thread was a serious attempt to do an actual, fair comparison between the HPM-100s and L-810s without the regular bias that the HPMs were automatically the best speakers. That purpose was accomplished, the argument about whether this thread should remain in the speaker forums has been settled, as Fast Eddie said, nothing more productive can happen here.

Let's let this thread lie alone with no more attempts to dredge it up just to tout one's own speakers, argue the sanctity of the HPMs or ADSs, or just plain argue.

- JP
 
THOR said:
Now Kegger that was a good statement. I would not have said anything to a well theorized comment like that. Unlike the SPL comment you agreed with earlier ;)

If all I do is help folks realize generalizations and put downs of gear are bad, then my work here is done :)

Agreed but at the time I thought KFA's comment wasn't really all that out of place with what looked
like a bold/brashful comment of yours against the ADS or HPM for that matter and your speakers.

But I see now yours was just in a joking/ribbing manner and understand. I thought the shootout of
the ADS and HPM was very educational and would like to see more like them with information.
 
You boys really got all you could out of this one, for sure.

As an fyi, the HPM 100 can/does sound much better biamped with electronic crossover - the harshness in the midsection disappears.

I did enjoy the postive aspects of this thread.

Thanks for the shootout,

Gibsonian
 
I really don't want to stir up any more on this thread but I suspect you are very correct.
I have not givin up on them yet as I'm still tweaking/modding mine. But I am curious what
xover points and slopes you have chosen or tried on yours.
 
Last edited:
So let me get this straight, we compare speakers, and post the unanimous results. We all discuss it and have a good honest discussion about it. People stayed cool about it and it was worked out just fine. Then you come and throw down that your speakers might topple the rest and I suggest what I think might be the results. You then start attacking people with words like Jakehole and then go on to tell us how your speakers are the best thing this side of Carver Amazings. This post started being that "bunch of nonsense going on in the speaker forum" when you posted. All was good up until that point.

And where did you hear this "bunch of nonsense going on in the speaker forum"? Most of those that participated and posted seemed positive and insightful and many have posted just that.
 
If nothing else the HPMs have it all over the ADS speakers for looks.
The pictures of the ADS speakers that I've seen...well they are butt-ugly speakers!!! They "have to" sound better than they look!! :lmao: :lmao:
 
john_w said:
I agree. There has been some aversion to shoot-outs and "which component is better" threads here in the past because it can tend to lead to attitude issues. Sorta like trying to discuss politics objectively.

I say "bring it on" -- as long as everybody takes all opinions with a grain of salt and just has fun with it. There are too many variables to do this objectively anyhow, especially with vintage gear. But it is really interesting to compare results across the country, and we do seem to get a lot of agreement anyhow.

Thor's opinion is exactly what I was talking about here. It's one that seems to be held by a lot of long time-members and I do appreciate the no-nonsense, just play your tunes and enjoy your gear kind of attitude, but I think we can be left to our nonsense as long as we can still play nice. Although I do think that actually insulting someone's gear beyond just stating "I absolutely do not like them at all" is going a bit beyond the limit, almost as much as attacking someone personally. But of course it's up to Kam and company to determine that limit.

If people don't like it, hey - it's a free country - someone can always start a new site. Here's a domain name suggestion:

http://www.audiodogma.com
 
john_w said:
But I think we can be left to our nonsense as long as we can still play nice. Although I do think that actually insulting someone's gear beyond just stating "I absolutely do not like them at all" is going a bit beyond the limit.

Exactly!!!

And it DID go beyond that limit several times during this thread.

I've got no problem with "I absolutely do not like them at all", especially after a nice listening session like the author of this thread had set up.

What I do have a problem with are comments like, "white van speaker", "kabuki", "worse speaker I've ever heard", "sounded worse than a single AR1", "time to break out the cotton balls", etc. Believe it or not, these are ALL comments about the losing speaker in this thread.

I'm ALL for more speaker vs speaker threads, if people can keep it under control. Just remember, "all audio, no attitude!"

Being the owner of some AR-9's, Vandersteen 2C's and some factory-rebuilt Ohm 4's, I'd love to see some shootout's between those particular speakers.


Retro
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom