• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HPM-100 -vs- ADS L-810

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the HPM and L100's of the world are decent speakers, I think the larger ADS
speakers need to be more respected around here. (SHSSHH did I say that, quiet more for me)
 
Kegger said:
....While the HPM and L100's of the world are decent speakers, I think the larger ADS speakers need to be more respected around here....
after today i can confirm that.
 
dingus said:
i did hear a pair of NS-1000's once, i dont think the L-810's woulld make a contest of it.

I can't quite get your drift here, not challenging in anyway mind you, just wondering what do you mean exactly.

Do you mean the NS-1000 is that much better of a speaker? IYHO?
 
Last edited:
Well, I have my l810s at the ready for anyone in Colorado for a showdown. I haven't heard any drivers in a box that I like better yet. Magnapans and Martin Logans I've thought better, but so far, that's all I'd trade them for.

Take care,

Ed
 
however we only had them off the stack for a brief period

long enough to make sure that it did not make a difference, the 810'a sounded the best. very smooth speakers. aside from the ar 9's they had the best sound.

one of our friends showed up in a white van with a few different sets of speakers, but the klh stood out,,, until the the 810's were on. I will say that the klh stack was a very nice surprised, very nice, I would grab a set if it was available.

I was most surprised by the hpm 100's ,, I hate to sound harsh but they deserved to be in the white van, they looked cool, but sounde schrill in almost every case. when only very bright, they sounded boomy. I can ony see the hpm's in an animalistic, screaming, in your face type of atmosphere, they didnt do anything nice and smooth.

thats my take on it, the mono AR1 sounded better than the hpm's
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingus
i did hear a pair of NS-1000's once, i dont think the L-810's would make a contest of it.


Kegger said:
I can't quite get your drift here, not challenging in anyway mind you, just wondering what do you mean exactly.

Do you mean the NS-1000 is that much better of a speaker? IYHO?
sorry i wasnt clear on the point. in my brief listening time with the Yamaha NS-1000, it was obvious to me that they are indeed a much better sounding speaker than the ADS L-810.

a contest worthy of the NS-1000 would be something like the AR-9.
 
elroymcgee said:
thats my take on it, the mono AR1 sounded better than the hpm's

i almost forgot about that one, here she is. very detailed and articulate vocals, i'd love to hear a pair.

ba0c078a5ebb95bd3847176e9edb5d0d0
 
HUMM, that is something I did not know and not sure if I would have thought that.
Thank you very much for that enlightenment!

Now I will make it a point to hear some NS-1000's when I get the chance.
I knew they were well respected and I thought they would be good but I didn't
get the impression they were quite that good. Thank you sir for setting me straight.
 
Thanks for the reviews guy's...
I'm really surprised that no one in the whole group there liked the HPM's... :scratch2:
 
Crap! You mean I have to get a pair of AR9s AND a pair of Yamaha NS-1000s? I just looked on e bay. A pair of the Yamahas recently sold for $1400. That's getting up there. Anyone want to comment on say AR9 or NS 1000 vs. Polk SDA SRS?

Take care,

Ed
 
Parky50 said:
Thanks for the reviews guy's...
I'm really surprised that no one in the whole group there liked the HPM's... :scratch2:

Me too. Like I said before, I didn't think I would like them, but it was really clear to me why they're so popular. I'd love to have some.

Take care,

Ed
 
Kegger said:
Now I will make it a point to hear some NS-1000's when I get the chance.
I knew they were well respected and I thought they would be good but I didn't
get the impression they were quite that good. Thank you sir for setting me straight.
when i heard them they were setup in a doorway, one in front of the other, about 2' apart, driven with a BPC 30-40 wpc a/v receiver with, i think, 24g speaker wire (the tiny brown stuff that comes attached to junky speakers). they sounded wonderful, unlike any other speaker i've ever heard, but just great sounding speakers. set them up properly with a decent amp and i can only imagine how good they can sound.
 
Last edited:
man, the 810's will be hard to beat, they are a very smooth sounding speakere, and they listen well to all different types of music, we listenend to a a world of different stuff, i put on some van morrison with the hpm's and charivari exploded out of the sweet spot and needed cotton balls for the broken ear drums.
it was kinda funny watching charivari grimace almost to the point of pain. , then race from sweet spot. but it was a site to see.
 
Last edited:
Parky50 said:
Thanks for the reviews guy's...
I'm really surprised that no one in the whole group there liked the HPM's... :scratch2:
well Kelly hasnt weighed in yet. it's my understanding that he brokered a deal with JP to buy them prior to todays session. afterwards they argued for a half an hour outside, in sub-freezing temperatures, as to who was going to take them home.
 
dingus said:
well Kelly hasnt weighed in yet. it's my understanding that he brokered a deal with JP to buy them prior to todays session. afterwards they argued for a half an hour outside, in sub-freezing temperatures, as to who was going to take them home.

LOL!LOL!LOL! :tears:
'
'
'
'


JP should of gotten the deal done before the shootout!
 
Last edited:
Kegger said:
JP should of gotten the deal done before the shootout!
yeah he's kicking himself i'm sure.

i think Kelly might be kicking himself too. he sold the KLH-23 stack to blue_lateral (man you are gonna love them) in order to "thin the herd". when he left my place his van contained a pair of AR-94's, some sort of tube console cabinet thingy, the Sony APM-690's, JP's D-12's (the blue things) and lone AR-1. i dont think he met his objective.
 
Fast_Eddie said:
Anyone want to comment on say AR9 or NS 1000 vs. Polk SDA SRS?

Take care,

Ed
i havent heard the SDA's but considering what i've heard about them, i'd say all three speakers are different animals. my guess is it would come down to ones personal taste.
 
I've been following this for a while; great job. Thanks to all of you!

The results of the poll I tried were useless, and it's interesting to see that the HPM-100 was as over-rated as lots of people claimed.

JP, I understand you're finally free of the dodecas... congrats!

I got confused...who wound up with the 810s?
 
Negotiableterms said:
I got confused...who wound up with the 810s?
they stayed right where they were all along, with me. they pull full time duty in the daughters bedroom system, driven with the SI T-Amp\TDS202 combo.
 
dingus said:
they stayed right where they were all along, with me. they pull full time duty in the daughters bedroom system, driven with the SI T-Amp\TDS202 combo.

Your daughter is luckier than JP, then!

Have you ever heard a pair of L-910s or L-1290s?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom