• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

i emailed the guy about this CL ad

Register to hide this ad
This could be a average guy who's had the speakers for a while and they're in like-new condition. Not everyone knows about the "white van" scam. My dad had a set of these big speakers at our cabin niled up in the trees (i kid you not) and you could hear them loud and clear while riding the lawnmower. These old "white van" are just generic brand speakers, and I would argue that they are better than some of the old fisher/jcpenny speakers.

The white van speaker sales that really get me going are the "home theater in a box" that they try and sell for 500-1000. I always flag/send 'informative' email.

I could see getting 150 of use out of those speakers listed....
 
The pair I have that is very similar to those, rocked many a party. They are just as good as any JVC, Technics, Yamaha, Pioneer, Sansui, Sanyo, Fisher, or any other rack system speakers. The cabinets never fell apart like my brother-in-law's JVC towers that blew the back loose.

The woofer surrounds are foam and original. They gotta be almost 15-20 years old.

One mid did fail, so I replaced them with Parts Express mids. I threw Yamaha crossovers and tweeters in them for fun.

That said, they are good $20 speakers.

Mine.
100_1528.jpg


Rob
 
yeah - really disturbing...

and yeah - good speaker for $20 to rock the shed (oh wow! that's another place to put a system!!!) or the garage... NOT $150... $150 is a total ripoff. you can get a brand new pair of polk monitor 50's for under $200 - possibly even $150...

can somebody pull an audio bluebook value on them? probably $2 used...
 
Nope... "Acoustic Monitor"
The text -
"THIS IS A BRAND NEW SET OF STUDIO QUALITY LIQUIID COOLED FLOOR STEREO SPEAKERS."
 
from the lister in response to my email...
ME:
"Do you drive a white van?"

SELLER:
"NO WHY???"

ME:
"those are "white van" speakers.
google it."

SELLER:
"LOOK I'M NOT OUT TO SCAM ANYBODY. I HAD THESE HOOKED UP TO MY OWN STEREO TO TEST THEM AND CHECK THEM OUT . I AM VERY SEREIOUS WHEN IT COMES TO SOUND SYSTEMS WHETHER THEY BE IN MY HOME OR MY VEHICLE. I DID GOOGLE IT BECAUSE I NEVER HEARD OF "WHITE VAN" SPEAKERS AND AND THIS MODEL WAS NOT ON THE LIST. IT HAD THE Acoustic Response Series 707, Acoustic Image, Acoustic Lab Technology, Acoustic 3312 Studio Monitor ON THE LIST BUT THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. I DO APPRECIATE IT. I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE AND WOULD BE PISSED IF SOMEBODY MESSED WITH MY MONEY SO I'M NOT TRYING TO MESS WITH ANYBODY ELSE'S MONEY. HAVE A GREAT DAY"
 
i think that the real white van guys - like in that youtube video...
well they clearly have that "mens rea" thing going on.
they intend to deceive and misrepresent the product.
sounds like "fraud" to me and is illegal.

The ad that started this thread - well i think that seller actually is ignorant that his speakers are worthless... he's not trying to defraud anybody - well now he knows!
 
Lying to or misleading potential customers isn't illegal in and of itself. It must be done in certain specific ways to be illegal. The only laws broken by most white vanners are probably relating to taxes and licenses.
 
Back
Top Bottom