• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I shouldn't do this, but, - why that gear cost so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multi-channel was attempted again with SACD and DVD-A. People heard it, many liked it, some didn't, and a lot of people didn't want 5 or more speakers crowding their homes. Many didn't think it was right for their particular taste.

But that's not good enough. People like Soundminded don't think people can decide things for themselves. They don't think people can have personal preferences (like SET amps) that they disagree with. They think they know all, they know what everybody should do, and they think that people are all idiots, idiots who would be happy once they discover the light, which is of course provided by their unequaled knowledge. Because only they know the way, for everybody. Nobody uses a SET amp or 2-channel because they prefer it. Since its different than what they do, that person could only come to that different conclusion if they're stupid.

Screw that. Its just a hobby. I'll do whatever makes me happy. Not whatever makes somebody else's boat float.
 
When it comes to audio (like food) there is no cut and dried best. (Flavor of the day is one of the biggest concepts we can all appreciate and wrap our brains around.)

Most all of us seem to have systems we enjoy that are anything but our "top stuff", but we know it well enough to squeeze every ounce out of it....important part of enjoying anything for me at least. Right now I'm having to use my more modern/decent HT speaks/sub (for 2ch) while having my two "best speaker sets" serviced..... two grilled cheese and some tomato soup can be a feast on some days (and "simply nice" becomes wonderful for us fortunate few who see the value of throwing away that damn cork on occasion).

Can't help but notice that the people who have earned their way to less but nicer gear around here almost never criticize anyone's tastes....they remember their own growth (and respect it) way too clearly for that crap.
 
Last edited:
I must conclude that you've never heard a live symphony orchestra in a great or even a good concert hall. If you had, you'd know why. There's no comparison in the sound between that and what any electronic home sound system can produce.

Assume what you will, just remember the first three letters of the word!

There's no way four speakers in your living room will re-create the sound of an exceptional concert hall, either. But if I had an orchestra in my living room, they'd still be sitting in front of me. We can't all have front-row-center seating. That's why hall acoustics are important. If the original source is right in front of you, it's not as important. I'd guess the best listening spot would be the conductor's perch.

I must conclude you've never heard Joe Jackson's excellent recordings made with one microphone. Or Chris Whitley recorded the same way.

You've never heard my system and I've never heard a good Quadraphonic home system that made me want it. I don't even use 4.0 or 5.1 for home theater. Two-channel works fine for me. As you wish . . .
 
I go to the symphony now and then....the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is about 3 blocks away and I can and do walk there. The sound just isn't comparable, they're different things. From the seats I usually get, the sound is actually more monophonic in sound than "stereo" or surround. When I close my eyes it very difficult to pinpoint instruments, and much of the sound is reflected rather than direct (hence the hall being shaped like a horn). In the sense of stereo image and instrumental detail, my home system is actually superior. But nothing beats the real thing, as there's more to music than instrument positioning and detail.

I will say, however, that the lack of a veil between me and the instrumentation ...the effortlessness and complete lack of an obstruction to dynamics...is something that only higher-end systems have exhibited, in my experience. One of those being Quad ESLs driven by an amp that I'm sure mr Soundminded would disapprove of, as its singled ended Class-A with little negative feedback. That amp, a Pass Aleph 30, combined with Quad ESLs in a semi-treated room, sounds TO ME, about as close as I've heard to the real-life experience of going to the symphony. But I get the opinion that he doesn't think I'm qualified to make that call for myself, and that he has to weigh in on whether or not I approve.
 
Last edited:
I can't believe how these threads always generate more views and replies than just about any others where people are actually talking about gear.:scratch2:
 
I can't believe how these threads always generate more views and replies than just about any others where people are actually talking about gear.:scratch2:

They're the only threads I'm interested in anymore, because nobody talks about the gear I'm actually interested in :(.

I got some new headphones today, maybe I should listen to them, which would be a much more useful use (?) of my time. (AKG K-701s open box).
 
I've never really been into head phones for some reason, I seem to much prefer hearing actual speakers, but from what little I know about head phones, AKG's are supposed to be quite good.
 
I've never really been into head phones for some reason, I seem to much prefer hearing actual speakers, but from what little I know about head phones, AKG's are supposed to be quite good.

Well, the 'phones I wanted were $2000 Audeze LCD-3s, but I remembered that I actually don't listen to headphones much and just needed a pair to replace my old AKGs that I monitor home recording with. These might convert me back to more headphone listening, for 1/10th of the price, though. They're also way more comfortable than my old AKGs, which fell apart after 13 years of being dragged around my home studio.

The Audeze Phones are fantastic (and expensive)...I've never heard a headphone that made me forget I was listening to headphones like them, as I like speakers. I get why the headphones guys love them, though, they are that good..but for how little I listen to headphones, I came to grips with the idea that it would be a ridiculous expenditure for me.

It's a bit like how I view the highest of the high end. It isn't for me, I'd rather buy a car or collect weird vintage stuff or travel or just save the money for eventual retirement. But it's also not my money so however people want to spend it, that's fine by me.

Everything isn't legit and everything isn't a ripoff. Most people can make their own decisions as to which is which.
 
I like my AKG K702 headphones probably better than any others I've tried, considering the comfort factor along with the sound. I wrapped some hemmed strips of fabric around the contact points, though. They became far more comfortable to me with that bit of help. They're not bass-heavy or warm, but I use them with a tube headphone amp and get a smidgen of that.

As for concert halls, we have an excellent one here in Dallas - the Meyerson. I've sat in the lower balconies, uppers, side, center, and floor. It's amazing everywhere. I like my system very well, but it isn't like that hall. And it's not just the symphony orchestra that sounds great in there. I've heard pop and jazz singers in there sound fantastic.
 
I like my AKG K702 headphones probably better than any others I've tried, considering the comfort factor along with the sound. I wrapped some hemmed strips of fabric around the contact points, though. They became far more comfortable to me with that bit of help. They're not bass-heavy or warm, but I use them with a tube headphone amp and get a smidgen of that.

As for concert halls, we have an excellent one here in Dallas - the Meyerson. I've sat in the lower balconies, uppers, side, center, and floor. It's amazing everywhere. I like my system very well, but it isn't like that hall. And it's not just the symphony orchestra that sounds great in there. I've heard pop and jazz singers in there sound fantastic.

Someday I'm going to go to the Lyrica Opera here in Chicago and not get the nosebleed seats. Its like watching a performance on the moon, from Earth. It still sounds good, though. Its just a bit lacking in impact that far away.
 
I'm convinced that the vast majority of audiophiles who poo-poo the "high end" have no idea how the brain interprets music, nor do they have the slightest inclination to bother learning. To them, nothing can sound better than the rack of gear they have sitting in front of them. They listen with willful ignorance.

Damn - he's onto us - fuel the chopper while I shred the evidence ! :D
 
It's interesting that the 'realistic reproduction of sound' thang has been done to death - here and elsewhere - but we still like to thrash it out. As someone pointed out in another thread, if gunshots in a movie actually did sound like real gunshots, your neighbours would all the cops. I've never been to a live performance of the 1812 Overture, but I'm curious to know if they use *real* cannons ?
 
I can't believe how these threads always generate more views and replies than just about any others where people are actually talking about gear.:scratch2:

There's a lot of meat on that bone. :yes:
 
It's interesting that the 'realistic reproduction of sound' thang has been done to death - here and elsewhere - but we still like to thrash it out. As someone pointed out in another thread, if gunshots in a movie actually did sound like real gunshots, your neighbours would all the cops. I've never been to a live performance of the 1812 Overture, but I'm curious to know if they use *real* cannons ?



Come to Austin, Texas for the 4th of July. Austin Symphony Orchestra does the 1812 Overture, Texas National Guard supplies the real cannon fire. Gotta love Texas!:yes:

Additional information I forgot: This whole thing takes place on Auditorium Shores, on both sides of Lady Bird Lake (really the Colorado River, the part that flows through downtown Austin, but there is a dam to make it fuller and wider.) They time the production so that when the 1812 Overture is over, it is just dark enough to start the big fireworks show, which lasts a good while. I'm sure there are better ways to hear the 1812 Overture, but this is fun and kind of different.
 
Last edited:
It's interesting that the 'realistic reproduction of sound' thang has been done to death - here and elsewhere - but we still like to thrash it out. As someone pointed out in another thread, if gunshots in a movie actually did sound like real gunshots, your neighbours would all the cops. I've never been to a live performance of the 1812 Overture, but I'm curious to know if they use *real* cannons ?

My neighbors have never called about my stereo, or real gunshots. They did call once when I was drunk and harmonizing with Hank, Jr. and Johnny C. I was sitting on my front porch and belted out That Old Wheel at the top of my lungs. IMHO, I sounded magnificent.

LEO,"They said you were singing"?

Me, "I'm done now, thank you, thank you very much". Exit stage into house.

:nono:
 
Last edited:
I never said I did.
I don't have high end equipment.
I just copied and reworded what I found to be slightly offensive and completely contrary to the AK "All Audio No Attitude" mantra.

I guess my point is that it has as much to do with neurons as it does electrons, probably more.
So, you reply to a statement you find offensive and erroneous with another statement just as offensive and erroneous?

Thanks for elevating the conversation.
 
So, you reply to a statement you find offensive and erroneous with another statement just as offensive and erroneous?

Thanks for elevating the conversation.

Doug, you are correct. I hesitated but did it anyway. I was thinking that people who read the original and thought "Yeah, I agree with that" might get a different perspective from my rewording. I guess it sorta backfired on me.
 
sorry about the editing in the OP and thank you Judas Priest for fixing it. I wrote it in word and the formatting obviously did not carry over, then I had to scoot real quick so did not get a chance to edit it.
I actually do know how to hit the enter key....I think I do anyway.

As for the topic, looking into something I came across the "tossing your money away" type of threads and while I really don't think it is anyone's business how someone spends their money, I just thought I would make the point about how it is the nuances many seek that is often the reason they are buying the high end gear. Also, inevitably I always read something like "hooked up a pair of $20k speakers to my system and my (insert $300-$500 brand speaker here) sounded as good or even better" so of course I had to get into the system as a whole.

Then it didn't help any that my morphine,adderall and other slew of meds had just kicked in and it makes me even more verbose then usual.

Could have been worse as I am looking into capacitors as I have had a "hankering" to try some different ones out in an amp. So at least i didn't beat that horse again :D
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom