• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

If money was no object

Spendor SP100s in rosenut

Never heard them but I've listened to the S5e and they sound great. The SP100s reviews make them sound like my cup of tea.
 
Reference 3a top-of-the-line, whatever that is -- minimal crossover, high sensitivity, to provide the least amount of problem to my vintage electronics.
 
WE 757 Studio Monitor

WE757-1.jpg
 
hey-Hey!!!,
Same as with the amplifier question: make my own. Probably have to hire some instructors. Or fund and join some folks who are already going in the same direction as I'd build in. I know what I want, and it isn't available 'off the rack'.
cheers,
Douglas
 
forgot some...

Kharma Grand exquisite

and these for parties (and a ballroom of course...) (also kharmas)

e-800.jpg


Rock on,
Bert.
 
thedelihaus said:
I know of an AKer who's looking for a second pair, to stack...

for real- no joke.


Whoever that AKer is, should just buy the components that comprise the CGs and make proper speakers rather than stacking them. An array of mids, tweets and 12" woofers would be quite impressive and perform better tahn a stacked set. Besides, you could also make them much better braced than the originals reducing cabinet resonances while you were at it.

I suppose the side benefit of stacking is that it would take some serious effort to leave a water ring on the top. :)
 
dnewma04 said:
I'd probably lean towards Gedlee Summa Cum Laudes or Linkwitz Orions

Bob from SP Tech has some speakers that are similar in concept to the Gedlees and I've heard good things about them. (www.4sptech.com)

The Orion++ or even the Pluto+ would be nice.

Fried Products has their Reference model and those would be great.

The Vandersteen 5A is also something I'd consider.

Roy Johnson's Continuum 3 would fit the bill too.

Or how about Jim Salk's HT3 speakers in a really exotic wood?

Most of the speakers I mention are not really "cost-no-object." However, I just don't think that you necessarily gain a lot by just throwing money into high-priced speakers.

Where I would really like to put a lot of money if cost were not an issue is into my listening room. I'd like to build a room just for listening with full acoustic treatment. That's a better use for the money than $50,000 per pair speakers, in my opinion. :)
 
PakProtector said:
hey-Hey!!!,
Same as with the amplifier question: make my own. Probably have to hire some instructors. Or fund and join some folks who are already going in the same direction as I'd build in. I know what I want, and it isn't available 'off the rack'.
cheers,
Douglas

True, If money were no object I'd spend loads trying to fill my stupid old brain with all the knowledge that I would need to build a custom listening room with speakers that are matched (as close as possible) to the room.
 
stuartk said:
Where I would really like to put a lot of money if cost were not an issue is into my listening room. I'd like to build a room just for listening with full acoustic treatment. That's a better use for the money than $50,000 per pair speakers, in my opinion. :)


Stuartk, i'm in agreement with you. You can spend all the money in the world and throw them in a typical room and end up with crap. The Orions and Gedlees are both speakers that will work in most rooms and I'm not convinced if spending 100k on a pair of VR11s, Genesis 1.1, stacked CGs will actually result in better sound. Both of the speakers I picked are designed to reduce room interactions and as such, will work just about anywhere you put them (the orions do need a bit of room behind them, though).

I suppose if money was no object and DIY is an option, then the TAD/Lambda based Unity horn system I heard might be in my living room right now. I likened that experience to having the sound of a point source with controlled directivity, the efficiency of an Altec/JBL horn system with less coloration and more impact and significantly less compression at high volumes. :banana:
 
I wish to thank everyone for their suggestions. It gave me a lot to research.
What I have done is bought the Magnepan MMGs to get a look at the technology. If I trade up within a year i will get full credit for them. I have found the MMGs to be quite remarkable. I have read a lot of complaints about them and here is what I have found. The sweet spot is not that hard to find. It took about 15 min. The sweet spot is not as small as some have said, I have heard coments such as "I am not used to listening to music with my head in a vice". I can assure you nothing is further from the truth. I have heard complaints about the bass. The overature of 1812 sounded just fine to me. If it can handle the bass on that it should be acceptable to about anybody. Yes they need to be stood straight up and raised about 8" off the floor. If your smart enough to hook them up, your smart enough to make something to get them 8 inches off the floor. I think some people pre-judge them before they get them. If they didn't read the specs. on the bass and just listened with a few min. of proper setup they would be surprised. The specs don't tell it all. The sweet spot is quite divine. These will do till I can make up my mind which ones I want to upgrade too. At $550.00 per pair I believe they are one of the best buys out there. I almost forgot. They are 4ohm speakers you do need some power to run them properly.:D IMHO "Unlimited Power" ~ Darth Sidious
 
Yamaha GF-1 or NS-10000

As for Magnepans, if Yamaha didn't make speakers, there would be Magnepans in my house, undoubtedly the best US speakers made period, have owned similar Martin Logan and Magnepans are way more sweeter.
 
how about these?

*Quote*
Mark Levinson's HQD-system. Each transducer consisted of two Quad ESL electrostatic loudspeakerpannels and a Decca London Ribbon in a d'Apollito configuration. The Hartley subwoofer (not shown) completed the system. Instead of the Hartley subwoofer many audiophiles used the Janis W1 subwoofer plus Janis Interphase crossover with amplifier.
*Quote*
 

Attachments

  • ribquad.jpg
    ribquad.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 18
The original post asked for vintage speakers so I did not consider DIY when I submitted my post for IMF transmission lines or KEF 105s. However, I have been a long time DIYer and have never owned a set of commercial designs. Since others have submitted DIY, here is my vintage DIY design. The rule is the drivers need to be out of production.

Cabinets: 3 way stepped baffle like KEF 105s or the short lived Dynaco linear phase series.

Woofer: Seas 33W 13” woofer
Midrange: Audax 4.5” TPX cone driver
Tweeter: Seas H107 1” soft plastic dome

Crossover: 4th order Linkwitz-Riley. (I have a CLIO measurement system and LSP Cad simulation software.

I had a similar design published in Speaker Builder in 1990 using electronic crossovers. That design used an old Peerless 12" woofer and a Focal Kevlar tweeter.

Fernando
 
GRYPHON Poseidon Speakers


four way twin towers, 6-40Khz, 34 drivers, 1000 watts power handling.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom