• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'm trying to find a replacement capacitor for Bose 4.2 Sound Everywhere

Jada95

New Member
The capacitor is labeled, aselco mkt-010 345j100v capacitor.
 

Attachments

  • 20230612_213940.jpg
    20230612_213940.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 25
Register to hide this ad
Suggest that you look for a 3.3uF film cap. It’s just within the 5% tolerance for a 3.45uF cap. I’m afraid that one is bespoke for the manufacturer, and you will be hard pressed to find one at a supplier. You have to go to the E96 decade values for caps to find a 3.4uF cap.
 
As suggested, a 3.3 will be more than adequate. The paper tweeters used are not going to notice that difference. Not worth investing big money into caps. Might as well replace both while you are at it, if one's bad, the other one won't be far behind. The shipping will likely cost more than the caps. Another reason to buy two.
 
i would not bother replacing a film cap unless it is bad. they do not age like electrolytics

is it bad or do you just want to change it?
 
Suggest that you look for a 3.3uF film cap. It’s just within the 5% tolerance for a 3.45uF cap. I’m afraid that one is bespoke for the manufacturer, and you will be hard pressed to find one at a supplier. You have to go to the E96 decade values for caps to find a 3.4uF cap.
Thanks.
 
As suggested, a 3.3 will be more than adequate. The paper tweeters used are not going to notice that difference. Not worth investing big money into caps. Might as well replace both while you are at it, if one's bad, the other one won't be far behind. The shipping will likely cost more than the caps. Another reason to buy two.
Thanks.
 
i would not bother replacing a film cap unless it is bad. they do not age like electrolytics

is it bad or do you just want to change it?
I was making an order to replace the capacitors on 2 other sets of speakers and thought I would go ahead and order some for these.
 
Suggest that you look for a 3.3uF film cap. It’s just within the 5% tolerance for a 3.45uF cap. I’m afraid that one is bespoke for the manufacturer, and you will be hard pressed to find one at a supplier. You have to go to the E96 decade values for caps to find a 3.4uF cap.
So, if I buy a good quality capacitors, with a 5% tolerance, do you think I can expect a noticeable improvement. They sound fine to me, but my ears are use to them.
 
So, if I buy a good quality capacitors, with a 5% tolerance, do you think I can expect a noticeable improvement. They sound fine to me, but my ears are use to them.
Nope. You will not notice a thing unless one is bad. As mentioned, the paper tweeter is the limiting factor here. Appreciate them for what they are.
 
As long as the original isn't a mylar cap, I would just leave it as is. No need to replace it if it's already a polypropylene film cap.
 
They aren't as good in the signal chain as other film caps IMO. Like Oil&foil, PIO, polypropylene, etc. I've replaced Mylar's with other film caps in crossovers, amplifiers and line stages. It made a difference. I've had a few integrated amps, power amps and speakers pairs where I had two of each. Doing a side by side A/B test, the difference was noticable for the better.
 
Back
Top Bottom