• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

improving bass on Cornwall II ?

I was trying to figure out why someone would replace a II crossover with an older B version.

The back panel says Cornwall II, 1985

According to the timeline I read, Cornwall II's came out in 1986

Was there a short early period when Klipsch used older B crossovers in the Cornwall II? And then revised the crossover in 1986?

I should be able to tell if there was a different board in there, by checking for other mounting holes underneath. (?)
 
There should be screw holes on the back wall of the cabinet. How were your Type B’s attached?

be careful with screws. You don’t want them coming through the other side of the cabinet. I have actually seen that happen twice and it’s not a pretty sight.
 
Thanks!

Looking at the pics I posted on page 3 here, maybe they were finishing nails/nailgun. I think I see some small holes about that size.

How did Klipsch attach them?

I put them back together & they're in use again, under the stack, so not easy to check.
 
Thanks!

Looking at the pics I posted on page 3 here, maybe they were finishing nails/nailgun. I think I see some small holes about that size.

How did Klipsch attach them?

I put them back together & they're in use again, under the stack, so not easy to check.

Screws through holes on the ends of the board.

504FC69E-3FBE-4B91-9F70-BAF61BD5FF5E.thumb.jpeg.d468dde137e162bfe2c5dcee9292e2d7.jpeg
 
Aha, thanks for the pic

Examining my pics I see one screw like that, camera angle mostly hides them behind the transformers though.
 
Wondering about the polarity of the mid drivers. Here are shots of the old wiring, 2x Left mid & 2x Right mid. Whoever wired this up may have had them out of phase.

Left mid driver: near the black wire it appears to have a "-" scratched in the plastic, which matched the way it was wired

L_mid_01.jpg L_mid_02.jpg
 
Right mid driver: clearly has the yellow "-" paint mark, but the red/positive wire was hooked up there.

R_mid_01.jpg R_mid_02.jpg


Whoever wired these up ran red wire (+) on the left side tab, on both speakers. But either one of the drivers is flipped 180 degrees, or the wiring is reversed. Or labelled wrong?

Another thing: the Left mid driver tabs were too big for the stock CW2 wiring tabs to slide onto....I had to solder them on. So maybe it's a replacement?
 
Last edited:
Well I put a mirror underneath & there are no indications on the back, either. But the model # is inked on
 
Here's a shot of the Right mid's backside, flipped in photoshop so it's readable

R_mid_03.jpg

I wish I'd done this with the Left speaker. But it's all reassembled & stacked up
 
Last edited:
If the diaphragm tabs were too big, you may have the titanium midrange in there. I have a pair of those and I CAREFULLY nipped and then filed the terminals down to fit the stock wiring.

Also, I think the yellow marking is on the positive side.

If you do in fact have the titanium mids, there is a strong chance you will find the squawker too harsh above low to moderate levels.

This could be a large part of the reason you find the bass lacking.
 
Thanks!

Weird it was just the left mid with the large tabs. The right is fine. But who knows what's happened to these things!

I was reading that sometimes the woofers get reconed with 8ohm coils instead of 4ohm, which also messes them up. Will have to check my woofers
 
That 2nd pic of the Right mid looks to have "-" marks scratched in the plastic, on the non-yellow side.
 
I measured the Right woofer with my multimeter & got 6.33 ohms. Which in my experience, indicates an 8 ohm speaker.

Can someone confirm the CW2 K34-E woofer impedence spec? Is it supposed to be 4 ohms?

Thanks!
 
They're back together & running. High freq sound is better, but the bass still seems shy in comparison.

While searching around earlier I found a post by Bob Crites where he mentions incorrect 8 ohm woofer recones being a problem upsetting the balance, as a 4 ohm speaker will be louder. So that's probably also what's going on with these cluster**** speakers.

Argh...

At least the insides look better: and kudos to Karen, wherever you are

CW2_L_xover.jpg CW2_R_xover.jpg

The new/original CW2 boards matched up with another set of holes in the back, so at some point some goon swapped in those CW1 crossovers. The soldering work was complete amateur sloppy ****, too.
 
Last edited:
I measured the Right woofer with my multimeter & got 6.33 ohms. Which in my experience, indicates an 8 ohm speaker.

Can someone confirm the CW2 K34-E woofer impedence spec? Is it supposed to be 4 ohms?

Thanks!

From what I've read the specs for the K-34-E are similar to the K-33-E, so 4 ohms. Starting to wonder if a previous owner bought empty cabinets and threw in whatever he could find.
 
Back
Top Bottom