• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

imral3's system progression - aka - new house, new listening room

Next minor change...
pixlr_20201105152548067~2.jpg
EVA foam and rubber anti vibration/isolation pads under both subwoofers. Sounds to have cleaned up the bass quite a bit. More evaluating (aka enjoying) to be done as I listen, listen, listen.
 
Have you tried the isolation pads under the speaker stands? I'm also wondering what having the isolation pads under the speakers on the stands might do...if anything (I use pieces cut from anti-skid pads that go under rugs on hardwoods). My gut feeling is that with stands on floor/speaker on stands, nothing should be able to slide if a little force is applied. I have the isolation pads under my subs, as well.
 
No I have not. I thought this would be a bad thing, kind of decoupling the higher frequency speakers?!?


Nothing major done to the room itself yet. Rear wall has two windows and has the same curtains as the front wall.

I see. So those opposing surfaces have at least the curtains to help knock down the echo. That's a move in the right direction.

My understanding of the coupling/decoupling thing is that you want the speakers "tied" to the floor...so anything that helps make the speaker more securely "fastened" to the floor is better. It's hard to tell what the tips of your speaker stand spikes/feet are...looks a little like a ball. Is that correct?
 
I see. So those opposing surfaces have at least the curtains to help knock down the echo. That's a move in the right direction.

My understanding of the coupling/decoupling thing is that you want the speakers "tied" to the floor...so anything that helps make the speaker more securely "fastened" to the floor is better. It's hard to tell what the tips of your speaker stand spikes/feet are...looks a little like a ball. Is that correct?
Stands have spikes that are currently sitting in hard rubber "cups" that came with the stands. I have those metal disks, with the indent for the spike, in my garage and will be trying those shortly. Thanks for reminding me! ;)
 
Playing around with hopefully even more isolation for the subs. Added some thick foam (shipping/packing) blocks under the isolation pads:Screenshot_20201109-164730_Photos.jpg
Will see how it sounds and holds up - hopefully it doesn't compress too much. :dunno:
 
pixlr_20201126125031715.jpg
Replaced foam shipping blocks with a 1/2" thick EVA foam floor tile under each sub. If nothing else it looks better. ;)
 
Testing out a third subwoofer, a Sony SA-WM40, directly behind my seating position, center of the futon. After some fiddling early indications are a smoother, deeper, more believable bass. More listening, and fiddling, over the next week or so before final decision is made.

As always, enjoy the musics!! :rockon:
 
Screenshot_20201217-173350_Photos.jpg
Added acoustic foam tiles on ceiling at reflection points.

Moved subs around following the guidelines (loosely) of Dr. Geddes. 1st sub in front left corner. 2nd sub on right wall near main R speaker (for now). 3rd sub (not shown) behind main seating position. Game changing bass folks.

Thanks for following along!!
Ray
 
Last edited:
So much fun setting up a brand new room, but with the lots of work involved too. Experimentation is work in the my book, but also rewarding when you finally get to that place where you can stop listening to your rig so much and just enjoy the music! Enjoy!
 
Thats great! I have some “mini” towers as speakers in a living room system. They have a very nice ability to disappear, but provide a nice presence over bookshelf type speakers. Congrats on picking them up!
 
Thats great! I have some “mini” towers as speakers in a living room system. They have a very nice ability to disappear, but provide a nice presence over bookshelf type speakers. Congrats on picking them up!
Yes, these are doing well...
Imaging is precise.
Soundstage is v a s t.
Midrange is clear and strong.
:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom