• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Instrumental Surf playlist.

I heard a few months ago, one of the guys from Los Straitjackets was ill enough that they had to have someone else take his place for the remainder of that tour.
 
I heard a few months ago, one of the guys from Los Straitjackets was ill enough that they had to have someone else take his place for the remainder of that tour.

That was Danny Amis. Last time I saw them he wasn't able to tour. He was also in the original Raybeats lineup with Pat Irwin.
 
Last edited:
Agent Orange ~ When You Least Expect It . . .

Enigma

AgentOrangeWhenYouLeastExpectIt2.jpg
 
Played the Rhino "History of Surf Music: Volume 1" last night.

Picked this LP up back in the 80s when I heard bits of it played on the old WHFS.

Perhaps the best instrumental surf music sampler on wax out there.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Surf_Music.jpg
    Surf_Music.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 90
The Raybeats
Guitar Beat
PVC Records 1981

debut record, Pat Irwin and Danny Amis went on to play with Los Straitjackets much later
 
Los Straitjackets minus Danny Amis and maybe one other guy, (could never get the lineup straight since they wore wrestling masks) are playing in Nashville where they're from in a new act called Martian Denny Orchestra. They play a lot of free shows. I just saw them in Nov at a free in-store with about 10 other people who were there. They are very good. It surprised me to find out that Bob Irwin, the guy who runs the Sundazed label is playing guitar in place of Danny.

For those of you who don't know, Surf saw a sizable revival and there was a strong scene in the 90's, particularly in southern California and the Northwest, but not well known elsewhere. Labels were there, and mail order was there, and the bands were there. I was there and it was impressive to see and a lot of fun. Lots of great bands who played it letter perfect and were straight out of 1963 from their clothes, amps, instruments, cover art, recording techniques. That's almost entirely gone now and it's turned into a lot of cheese and a lame shadow of its former self. Today you see mostly old guys in cargo pants and that's a far cry from seeing the vibrancy and excitement of what I saw in California 15 years ago. I attended an annual surf rock convention in So Cal in 2009 and my how things have changed. A lot of great musical revivals and scenes for those revivals were peaking in the 90's such as Surf, Rockabilly, Swing, Lounge, Garage, etc and they are nearly extinct today including most of the bands that were part of it. I've seen Dick Dale twice in the last couple of years, he's 75, and he is something from space. Probably one of the most impressive musicians, performers, and human beings you're going to find.
 
Last edited:
Dick Dale-Calling Up Spirits.
What can I say-Dick Dale is simply an amazing musician.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom