• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

jaymanaa / Urizen's Amp Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hell, it finally rained again, which means I get to work on this instead of doing outdoor projects for the boss. My last couple projects have been tough, and this dude is keeping with that tradition. However, even with a few "special" challenges, I'm pretty happy with how it's going. The PT on this thing is probably at least twice what is "really" needed, so it will be easy to implement a "PAK Style" power style. Rectification will be a SS voltage doubler, "hopefully" into a choke input filter and some absurd capacitance.:yes: For an example of how it's over-sized, I have a 10 gauge heater supply feeding just over 2 amps worth of 6SN7 heaters.:D Then there's a dedicated 6v supply to the switches pilot LED.:smoke: The biggest obstacle on this project is somewhat self imposed. Whenever I build an amp for a friend, I try to put myself, and my shop in the same situation (and music) that the amp will be used in. So here I sit, high as a kite, listening to death metal as loud as a 6GK6 amp will go. It's ok though, as I seem to adapting.:D
 
Last edited:
Hey, I got the heaters all lit up, and she looks pretty cool. It's starting to look like I may actually have it done for fest time (pray for rain).:yes:
 
I have a dual bannana plug I use to space the terms in case someone uses that type of plug. It just occurred to me that if I did it like that, they could use a dual plug on any ohms tap.:yes:
 
Yikes, just had to make a last minute Mouser order. I totally spaced two TXs, and 4 pots.:no: This thing is going to be some kind of heavy. There's gonna be more iron in here than was in the Titanic (OK exaggeration).:D Huge PT, two potted OPTs, one 12v 2 amp fil TX, two 6.3v 1 amp fil TXs, and two chokes. Snikies :sigh:
 
Ran out of handy room underneath, so I had to make a bracket to hold the two 6.3v fil. TXs. They are not for running heaters, but will instead be hooked up backwards to supply a bias network each per channel. This is going to be a whole lot of amp in a very small (heavy) package.:D Lots of AC running around down here, but I feel like I have a good layout and decent lead dress. Even still, I'm keeping it (the AC) all to one end, just in case I have to put some "Giron" metal around. All I have left is one more choke, for the front end power. The two small 1/4 amp fuses are for the cathode grounds of the 1625s (one per pair).
 
Last edited:
Does it work yet?
Does it work yet?
Does it work yet?
:D

I'll have to miss fest this year....just cancelled the reservation :sigh: My schedule sucks. Wish I could be there to see it. :yes:
 
Does it work yet?
Does it work yet?
Does it work yet?
:D

I'll have to miss fest this year....just cancelled the reservation :sigh: My schedule sucks. Wish I could be there to see it. :yes:

Hey Mang!! Where in the hell have you been? Do you need me to call your boss for ya?:D
 
How's this for a doubler circuit (anyone?)? Also, would it be ok to run the same uf rating on each of the two caps in this circuit?
 
Last edited:
(Ken you have to show me how to shrink my scans when you come)

Here ya go, mang.

urizensupply.jpg
 
:eek:

I like the speaker connect jacks arranged like that. Where did you get the idea? :thmbsp:


I had mine arranged like that until I changed the OPT's. It's a very handy arrangement. My current outputs require reconnecting the secondary windings for an impedance change so I'm out of luck with the binding post star layout.

Neat project.

John
 
Hey Ken, what kind of knobs should I use on the bias controls.:D That's them sticking out by the meter test ports and speaker hookups. BTW, the one with the little black pointer is filament hum.
 
Last edited:
She's back under the knife Ken. Send all the good Karma you can Bro, so I can get her ready for the KC Fest.:smoke:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom