• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JPW mystery speakers.......any ideas ?

Cogsinister

Super Member
These are for sale near me....no markings on the back...what model are they ?

4167001939_437d0d542e_b.jpg


Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
They look very much like JP1s. 1985 HiFi Choice recommended them, but as good value for price rather than because they are world beaters. Well finished with Vifa drivers, sensitive and easy to drive, but a bit boxy, wirey, and not particularlyextended bass.
I'd say it all depends on price. And your taste. JPW made some good speakers but they aren't well known, at least on this side of the Atlantic, so I doubt if enthusiast interest is driving the price up.
 
They definitely don't look like "white van" speakers. Someone put some care and attention into those cabs (I like how the entire front area is veneered - The designer expected people to show them off without the grills), and the drivers look decent enough. They're good-looking speakers actually (aside from the name-badge which doesn't excite me). They're also in fantastic shape - I mean, they almost look new in the pictures.

I haven't a clue about how they would sound (I'm more of a 3-way guy). Depends on the price they're asking. Are they including the stands as well?
 
Last edited:
They definitely don't look like "white van" speakers. Someone put some care and attention into those cabs (I like how the entire front area is veneered - The designer expected people to show them off without the grills), and the drivers look decent enough. They're good-looking speakers actually (aside from the name-badge which doesn't excite me).

Well being a Brit, i remember JPW speakers well......but i could never afford them as a teenager.........your right these are superbly crafted.......
 
Well being a Brit, i remember JPW speakers well......but i could never afford them as a teenager.........your right these are superbly crafted.......

Honestly, I think this is the first time I've ever heard the name. I didn't know they were British (and I like a lot of the British speakers - even/especially the ones that were sort of a British interpretation of an American design - British speakers are generally known to be a bit light on the bottom-end, a product of that BBC sound, and I like the stronger bass of British acoustic-suspension models, as I think they would work better with American music - Don't know if those JPW's have that kind of stronger bass or not).
 
Last edited:
Honestly, I think this is the first time I've ever heard the name. I didn't know they were British (and I like a lot of the British speakers - even/especially the ones that were sort of a British interpretation of an American design - British speakers are generally known to be a bit light on the bottom-end, a product of that BBC sound, and I like the stronger bass of British acoustic-suspension models, as I think they would work better with American music - Don't know if those JPW's have that kind of stronger bass or not).

Well they were bought from the seller by a friend of mine and fellow AK'er.....no doubt he will come on here and give his opinion.......
 
My first set of British speakers. JPW P1. 8 inch woofer. 17lbs each. 17"x10"x10"

Highs are a bit overpowering but great sound for their size. $60.00 with metal stands.

Any specs out there. Seem to be hard to find......
 
My first set of British speakers. JPW P1. 8 inch woofer. 17lbs each. 17"x10"x10"

Highs are a bit overpowering but great sound for their size. $60.00 with metal stands.

Any specs out there. Seem to be hard to find......

Run them in for a good time, i bet the sound will improve no end after they have sat unused for so long...
 
I may be wrong but the woofers do not look original, I am sure the original woofers had a paper cone with foam surrounds. I shall see if I can find some info.
 
I may be wrong but the woofers do not look original, I am sure the original woofers had a paper cone with foam surrounds. I shall see if I can find some info.

I dont think the woofers have been replaced.........the seller would have mentioned that.......
 
This pic shows what looks like a treated paper cone with foam surrounds
 

Attachments

  • JPW_P1_off_600x471_pixels.jpg
    JPW_P1_off_600x471_pixels.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 252
They are different but not by much...I don't think they are the P2 then as they had a taller cabinet and JPW didn't make many speakers in that style.
 
AFAIK Vifa woofer and midrange cone drivers always sported rubber surrounds., from their 4" to 10" models.

Bellow are the specs for what I believe are Vifa´s current production 8" drivers, one made out of polipropylene, the other stiff coated paper. In both cases the surrounds are rubber.


VIFA 8" POLY WOOFER

Mineral filled poly’ cone. Rubber surround. Magnesium basket.
Long throw, low distortion, ventilated motor system.p21wo-39-08
Very smooth frequency response down to 25Hz. Premium Q.
Pwr 80Wrms (120Wnom)
Coil 40mmØ 1mH
Zo 8 ohm (5.5ohm dc)
Mag 698g 113mmØ
A² 235cm²
Fs 26Hz
Fr 25®2000Hz
Sens’ 88dB
Qms 2.38
Qes 0.44
Qts 0.37
Vas 85L
Code P21WO-39-08

VIFA 8" PAPER WOOFER

Ultra stiff conical paper cone. Rubber surround. Magnesium basket.
Long throw, low distortion, ventilated, 2" motor system.m22wr-09-08
Optimized for 1.5®2Ft³ ported, 3-way system, 500Hz Xover.
Pwr 150Wrms (600Wp)
Coil 26mmØ 1.1mH
Zo 8 ohm (5.9ohm dc)
Mag 698g 113mmØ
A² 235cm²
Fs 26Hz
Fr 30®1000Hz
Sens’ 88dB
Qms 2.73
Qes 0.38
Qts 0.33
Vas 55L
Code M22WR-09-08
 
The P1's were in production from 1986 until 1995 from what I can see so it's hard to say if the woofer stayed the same for 9 years. I've asked the original owner if there was any work performed on them. The mystery continues.
 
Back
Top Bottom