• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Least complicated TT?

brian222

Super Member
Looking and just learning the mechanics. Is manual direct drive a common combination and, if so, is it a more simple setup? Fewer moving parts etc. I've never been inside one but want to try it.
Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
I think the simplest TT would be a manual belt drive with an ac synchronous motor and a manual switch between the two pulley sections for speeds. An example is the U turn orbit. It doesn't get simpler than this.

Then add a tonearm lift.

You could then add a mechanism to do the speed switch by shifting the belt between pulley sections.

DC motor would add electronics for the AC-DC conversion and the speed settings, motor drive.

auto return would add mechanisms for the auto return.

If the lift lever is not built into the tonearm base, there may be some more linkages.


A manual direct drive should be simple in terms of mechanical complexity ( moving parts), but the control electronics would be far more complicated, depending on if it is quartz locked, or DC servo.
 
Last edited:
I think the simplest TT would be a manual belt drive with an ac synchronous motor and a manual switch between the two pulley sections for speeds. An example is the U turn orbit. It doesn't get simpler than this.

Then add a tonearm lift.

You could then add a mechanism to do the speed switch by shifting the belt between pulley sections.

DC motor would add electronics for the AC-DC conversion and the speed settings, motor drive.

auto return would add mechanisms for the auto return.

If the lift lever is not built into the tonearm base, there may be some more linkages.

A manual direct drive should be simple in terms of mechanical complexity ( moving parts), but the control electronics would be far more complicated, depending on if it is quartz locked, or DC servo.



There are pros and cons with each type. However, following what you suggest above makes things less simple. Buying the Orbit and then adding this, and then adding that, and then adding the other...less simple.

I somewhat agree with the belt drive up to a point.

Again, there are pros and cons with each type.
 
AR-XA, U-Turn Orbit, etc...

Just a motor, a stop-start switch, a rubber band, and a tonearm, with the necessary wiring.

Of course, I'm ignoring important things like the AR's revolutionary suspension design, but you get the point.
 
Looking and just learning the mechanics. Is manual direct drive a common combination and, if so, is it a more simple setup? Fewer moving parts etc. I've never been inside one but want to try it.
Thanks.

Most of the 'modern' entry level tables are simple belt drives with a motor coupled to the platter via a belt. Typically exposed. You have to move the belt from one stage on the motor pulley to another to change speeds. You won't find a much simpler system than that.

A direct drive, manual table is also super simple apart from the fact that the platen is part of the motor. With something like a Technics SL1200Mk2 you will have a couple more adjustments available to you than many (not all) entry level tables have. You can easily raise and lower the vertical tracking height of the arm to level the cart on the record. This makes tuning in a cart very easy. Also, with the head shell system, mounting a new cart is also very easy. Needle/stylus is mounted a specific distance from the back of the head shell and centered. No charts and / or gauges needed. There is a tool you can use as well so you don't even need a set of calipers to measure it out.

Long post short, any manual table is going to be fairly basic. There is a good setup guide linked in my Table Of Contents page. Link to that page is in my signature. Give that a read and you will start to understand what needs / can be done in a TT set up. That will help you in your search.
 
Thorens TD-160,150AB, many AR's and Empires come to mind. Lot's of choices, have fun!
 
There are pros and cons with each type. However, following what you suggest above makes things less simple. Buying the Orbit and then adding this, and then adding that, and then adding the other...less simple.

I somewhat agree with the belt drive up to a point.

Again, there are pros and cons with each type.

hey, my post was not along the lines of how you would mod/upgrade a basic TT. It was more along the lines of a list of the bells and whistles that get added along as TT's get more complex, and not intended in any particular order

Cheers,
g:thmbsp:
 
thanks to all...taking notes and doing research based on what I read here. I've seen a few Sanyo TT's on ebay that don't look too bad but don't see them discussed here much. Stay away from them? I picked Sanyo because a fellow AK'r had one FS here but it was local PU only....still the pics looked good. I'm not in the Thorens price range.
 
Low end Technics belt drives can sound pretty darn good with the right p mount cartridge and stylus. Think SL-B10, 20 30 etc. They can be had for under 50 bucks shipped if you look hard enough. Just get the right tracking angle (may have to use two mats) and listen away!!
 
thanks to all...taking notes and doing research based on what I read here. I've seen a few Sanyo TT's on ebay that don't look too bad but don't see them discussed here much. Stay away from them? I picked Sanyo because a fellow AK'r had one FS here but it was local PU only....still the pics looked good. I'm not in the Thorens price range.
I'd say stick to local, do your research, and wait for something to come up semi functional and fix it up - probably new belts, headshell, cartridges, alignment etc, but It'll help you learn all this stuff you want to know!

I'm a bit confused - your sig says you already have an SL-23. What are you looking to do here?

If you want to buy a manual DD just to figure out how it works, the cheaper option is just to search youtube for teardown videos of the world's most famous Manual Direct drive (and probably TT too) - the SL 1200
 
Last edited:
I'd say stick to local, do your research, and wait for something to come up semi functional and fix it up - probably new belts, headshell, cartridges, alignment etc, but It'll help you learn all this stuff you want to know!

I'm a bit confused - your sig says you already have an SL-23. What are you looking to do here?

If you want to buy a manual DD just to figure out how it works, the cheaper option is just to search youtube for teardown videos of the world's most famous Manual Direct drive (and probably TT too) - the SL 1200

SL-23 is fine. Just looking for one take apart..fix...learn..etc.
 
I bought my wife a Dual 504 for it's sheer simplicity. The table starts when you move the arm....the arm lifts and the table shuts off at the end. Couldn't be easier.
 
AR-XA, U-Turn Orbit, etc...

Just a motor, a stop-start switch, a rubber band, and a tonearm, with the necessary wiring.

Of course, I'm ignoring important things like the AR's revolutionary suspension design, but you get the point.

Doesn't get much simpler than the AR XA. Any work on turntables is going to be fiddly. They are very sensitive with fine tolerances. I'm honing my soldering skills to have a go at re-wiring an AR XB tonearm.
 
Back
Top Bottom